Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breads / Muffins *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #121
Heather R
Rose Trellis

Heather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BREAD REVOLUTION!!! (pic and link included)

Ditto. I just use flour as well.

Heather
my sweet girl, Faith Olivia (b. October 2004)
my treasure, Bereket Samuel Mekonen
(b. March 2007, adopted from Ethiopia in August 2013)
and my amazing boy, Thomas Aidan (b. April 2007)
Missing 4 I never knew...

And now expecting #4! EDD April 17, 2018

Our Adoption Story
Heather R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #122
MaiMama
Rose Garden

MaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond repute

I have dough rising now! I'm glad to know I can just use flour.

For those of you getting the book, you are going to have to give us all the whole wheat recipe--paraphrased, of course. So exciting!
Trinity Rain - The Matrix, 2004
Jackson Atreyu - The Neverending Story, 2006
Bella Adalyn - Twilight, 2009
and introducing:
Lincoln Ambassador - Fringe, 12/16/2012
remembering Aviva Ata '08
MaiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #123
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

The whole wheat recipe is on the webpge. Page 6, if I recall correctly.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #124
rstump
Rose Trellis

rstump will become famous soon enoughrstump will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather R
I'm having trouble finding a big enough container... I checked Zellers, Walmart, Canadian Tire... Frustrating! Until I find one, I guess I'll stick to making half batches.

I made a new batch last night, but I don't know if I lost track of my cups of flour or what, but it was really dry... So I added more water until it looked like the pictures in the tutorial... We'll see if this batch turns out.

Heather
I just got 2-2.5 gal plastic rubbermaid containers at walmart tonight. They are more rectangle shaped than a bowl but I think they will still work for a big batch. I found a blog with the challah recipe on it. My book is ordered but not here yet.

http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2008/01/13/challah/
Apple to Forrest // Romans 8:28
Crunchy Christian AP HS Traditional Foods Mama to Brittany, Madalynn, David, Ellie & Abbie
Remembering our babies: 3/92 1/93 11/07
rstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #125
blossomnatalia

I forgot to mention how big this container is: 9.5 QT (38 cups) and the brand is "Lock and Lock" Found it at my grocery store...
It is PERFECT for this. It rises just to the top and then because of its shape it is convenient for storage in the fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomnatalia
(Yasmel and mamakristin we posted at the same time.... I am answering other post here)

Well, I think if you truly measure like they say it should be pretty wet BUT they do tell you to be generous with the dusting flour when you shape it... and I think it helps. But I have done several batches and some were wet and some were dryer. I like it on the dryer side because it is esier to put in the oven. But this recipe is supposed to be freeform .... it changes shapes for me all the time from a "boule" to a more oval shape...

I am sorry I forgot to mention where I store my dough ....
this is a pic of what I mix it in and let it rise in and store it in. (less cleaning and much easier)

It is advertised as an airtight container but I do not "lock" it all the way I just close 2 sides. Maybe those who have a VERY wet dough have a container too airtight. You want a lid but not airtight.

And this is another pic of loaves I had made early on:

Those I think were unbleached white. The one in OP is whole wheat white.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #126
BHope
Rose Garden

Finding the Good

BHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering what size of container that was. I LOVE lock and lock and hope to get one that size to use. Right now I'm improvising. (It's working though! I just used some dough for our pizza tonight. Yum!)

DD1 (8 years old)
DD2 (6 years old)
DD3 (4.5 years old)

Eternally missing DFS3 (stored safely in our hearts) and DFS1
Praying for Little R as she transitions into a new family.
May you always know God's love and His comfort.
BHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #127
Heather R
Rose Trellis

Heather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond reputeHeather R has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstump
I just got 2-2.5 gal plastic rubbermaid containers at walmart tonight. They are more rectangle shaped than a bowl but I think they will still work for a big batch. I found a blog with the challah recipe on it. My book is ordered but not here yet.

http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2008/01/13/challah/
Do you think regular Rubbermaids are "food safe"? I was concerned about what was in the plastic.

Our Adoption Story
Old 01-06-2009, 08:08 AM   #128
Heather R
Rose Trellis

Quote:
I forgot to mention how big this container is: 9.5 QT (38 cups) and the brand is "Lock and Lock" Found it at my grocery store...
It is PERFECT for this. It rises just to the top and then because of its shape it is convenient for storage in the fridge.
Thanks! I'll keep looking. I'm in Canada, so sometimes availability is limited.

Our Adoption Story
Old 01-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #129
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

Can't remember where in Canada you are, but I found Lock and Lock containers like Natalia's at London Drugs. Walmart might have them too, IIRC.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #130
RooMama
Rose Garden

Who am I?

RooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond repute

I formed my first loaf and am waiting to pre-heat the oven. (we need a giddy with excitement smiley)

RooMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #131
Mert
Rose Garden

Mert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond repute

I'm ing this thread!! I'm so glad that everyone is sharing the experiences (and fears) about making the bread. I use a bread machine but have never done anything free form like this.

Questions:
What is the consistency of your dough just after mixing before the rise? I was expecting something kinda sticky and wet, but mine is dense and firm like playdough (I'm using King Arthur bread flour... I wonder how that effects it. )

Also, has anyone used freshly milled wheat in their recipe? I'd love to hear how that went... if you had to make any changes, if your results were the same as what we've seen here. According to the book, it won't make as nice a crust (bummer).
Mert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #132
RooMama
Rose Garden

Who am I?

RooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond repute

CAN'T. STOP. EATING!!!!!!!!!!!

RooMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #133
Heather R
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaKristin
Can't remember where in Canada you are, but I found Lock and Lock containers like Natalia's at London Drugs. Walmart might have them too, IIRC.
Thanks, I'll check London Drugs. Walmart had Lock and Locks, but only smaller sizes (or a HUGE size, like with wheels (!) intended for heavy amounts of cat food, etc. I almost bought it anyways, but it was $30).

For now I'm just doing half batches, and that is ok...

Our Adoption Story
Old 01-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #134
Atarah

I'm going to start a batch tomorrow with fresh milled flour. I'll let you know how it turns out.

*know* PP (#5) plastic containers are food safe, and (generally) non-leaching. But I could not get myself to purchase the 2.5 gallon squarish PP container today. I walked out with a 2 gallon glass jar. I will need to move a shelf in my fridge to get it to fit, but I'm o.k. with that.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #135
CrunchySeaSalt
Rose Trellis

Fighting APD and hoping to win soon!

CrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah ... I did not think about people not liking the sour dough taste ... I love bread with character just like my cheese

I LOVE sourdough! I like the sharp flavour of it as well as sharp cheeses too

ESTP Mother to:
L - 21
J - 19
S - 7
J -
CrunchySeaSalt is offline   Reply With Quote