Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Slow Cooker Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:48 PM   #16
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crockpot Soups

Sweet Potato Soup

1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 apple, peeled and sliced (I used granny smith, and I didn't peel it - it pureed fine)
14 oz of broth (I used natural chicken - the flavor was a little strong & I should have used half water)
salt & pepper & rosemary (I used 1/4 teaspoon - that wasn't enough) to taste

Put in a crockpot on low & cook 8-10 hours. When it's done, put it in a blender or use a hand blender to puree. Yum!

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #17
Joyful Mommy
Climbing Rose

Joyful Mommy is just really niceJoyful Mommy is just really niceJoyful Mommy is just really niceJoyful Mommy is just really niceJoyful Mommy is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Mommy
My slowcooker and vegan modified Bean Soup Recipe

Ingredients:
2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil (i use EVOO)
1 coarsely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, finely minced (i always use more than this...at least 3. we LOVE garlic!)
1/2 cup sliced celery
1 cup nine bean soup mix (i sometimes use 1 1/2 cups, to up the protein)
(this bean mix contains: green whole peas, green whole lentils, small red beans, small white beans, light red kidney beans, pinto beans, red split lentils, black beans, and black eye beans. i suppose you could just use a mix of whatever beans you have on hand...but this mix tastes very yummy!)
6 cups water
2-3 tbsp veggie bouillon powder
(the original recipe calls for 4 cups of chicken stock and 2 cups of water, if you want to do that instead of the water and bouillon)
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (or equivalent fresh. sometimes i add one or two extra fresh diced tomatoes)
salt and pepper to taste (i do this right before serving, and find it doesn't need much at all)
optional: parmesan cheese to garnish

Directions:
Soak beans overnight. Either in a pan or in the slowcooker (takes about 20 minutes on high), saute onion, garlic, and celery in the vegetable oil until celery and onions are translucent. Add the beans, water/chicken stock/bouillon, and tomatoes. In a slowcooker, cook on low for 6ish hours?...this recipe is pretty forgiving time-wise. If cooking in a pot, bring soup to boil, then reduce heat to med-low, cover, and simmer for about 2 hours. add salt, pepper, and parmesan, if desired.

If you try it, please let me know what you think of this recipe!
i can't believe it forgot to mention the jasmine rice! i was eating this tonight, and thought ... oops! it is not in the original recipe, but i ALWAYS serve this with jasmine rice (usually leftovers). we just put a big spoonful or two of rice in our bowls, then scoop the soup in. i'm sure it would be good with any rice, but jasmine rice ... mmm! and when i'm using leftover rice, i don't warm it up (we don't use a microwave - warming it up would be too much work if it's going into hot soup anyway!), so it helps cool down the soup a little bit...
yeah, i think the rice is an important part of this recipe for us...sorry i forgot to mention it earlier!
A [12.14.06]
N [10.24.08]
Shalom born to heaven [02.01.13]
Surprise baby due this August

Joyful Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #18
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

This makes a HUGE amount of soup. It's too big for my crock, which is either a 4 or 6 qt. I also added broccoli stems the first time I made it.

Hearty Lentil Soup

2 cups green lentils
1 head garlic, peeled and finely minced or pressed
2 med. onions finely chopped
1 1/2 T olive oil
1/2 bunch celery chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
4-5 carrots sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
4 medium potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
8 to 10 cups water or stock
2 bay leafs (remove before serving)
1 T finely chopped parsley
1 tsp. Thyme
1 tsp. Oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Throw it all into a crockpot on low & cook for 8-10 hours.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
Old 06-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #19
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

Quote:
Quote:
My slowcooker and vegan modified Bean Soup Recipe

Ingredients:
2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil (i use EVOO)
1 coarsely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, finely minced (i always use more than this...at least 3. we LOVE garlic!)
1/2 cup sliced celery
1 cup nine bean soup mix (i sometimes use 1 1/2 cups, to up the protein)
(this bean mix contains: green whole peas, green whole lentils, small red beans, small white beans, light red kidney beans, pinto beans, red split lentils, black beans, and black eye beans. i suppose you could just use a mix of whatever beans you have on hand...but this mix tastes very yummy!)
6 cups water
2-3 tbsp veggie bouillon powder
(the original recipe calls for 4 cups of chicken stock and 2 cups of water, if you want to do that instead of the water and bouillon)
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (or equivalent fresh. sometimes i add one or two extra fresh diced tomatoes)
salt and pepper to taste (i do this right before serving, and find it doesn't need much at all)
optional: parmesan cheese to garnish

Directions:
Soak beans overnight. Either in a pan or in the slowcooker (takes about 20 minutes on high), saute onion, garlic, and celery in the vegetable oil until celery and onions are translucent. Add the beans, water/chicken stock/bouillon, and tomatoes. In a slowcooker, cook on low for 6ish hours?...this recipe is pretty forgiving time-wise. If cooking in a pot, bring soup to boil, then reduce heat to med-low, cover, and simmer for about 2 hours. add salt, pepper, and parmesan, if desired.

If you try it, please let me know what you think of this recipe!
i can't believe it forgot to mention the jasmine rice! i was eating this tonight, and thought ... oops! it is not in the original recipe, but i ALWAYS serve this with jasmine rice (usually leftovers). we just put a big spoonful or two of rice in our bowls, then scoop the soup in. i'm sure it would be good with any rice, but jasmine rice ... mmm! and when i'm using leftover rice, i don't warm it up (we don't use a microwave - warming it up would be too much work if it's going into hot soup anyway!), so it helps cool down the soup a little bit...
yeah, i think the rice is an important part of this recipe for us...sorry i forgot to mention it earlier!

I made this, but it came out more like Italian Chili In fact, I just posted the recipe

Old 05-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #20
november
Rose Trellis

november has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond repute

Taco Soup - my most well received recipe. Everyone loves it. The ingredients sound bizarre, I know. Had you told me what was in it before I tried it, I probably wouldn't have. Just trust me on this … it's yummy!

2lbs hamburger

1 onion (optional)

2 envelopes dry ranch seasoning

½ envelope taco seasoning ( I usually just use the whole envelope..)

2 cans rotel (mild)

2 cans shoepeg corn (I only use 1, personal preference)

1 can black beans

1 can kidney beans

1 can pinto beans

(I use the store brand for everything except shoepeg corn-can't find it in the generic!)

Brown hamburger and onions (add salt and pepper to taste).

Put hamburger/onion into your crock pot. Throw the rest in as well, mix it up, and simmer. I drain about half of the juice off of the beans and corn. I do sometimes end up adding about ½ of a can of water back into it, depending on the consistency once I have everything mixed together. This should be a thick soup, not lots and lots of juice. I let it cook for a few hours and serve with shredded cheese and tortilla chips. Super good!

---

White Chili

2 cans rotel

1 can chicken broth

2 cans chopped green chilies

5-6 cans great white northern beans

2 envelopes of taco seasoning

dry onions to taste

1-2 cups of pork broth

Any kind cut of pork (whatever's cheapest! ) . I usually have about 2lbs of meat and cook it in the crockpot most of the day so I can get good broth later when I mix it all together.

Once the pork is done, shred it up. Then, throw all ingredients into the pot (I usually do stove but you could put it back in the crock pot) and let it simmer for at least an hour. I serve this one with flour tortillas for dipping.

Married to the love of my life
Mama to (7) & (2)

Save
november is offline   Reply With Quote