Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:15 AM   #1
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation
Default Anyone painted their kitchen cabinets?

I need an update to my kitchen. We have new tile to put in but I want to finish all the painting before we install it. I’m think My if giving our cabinets a face lift with done paint. Has anyone done this recently? Any tips?
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:28 AM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone painted their kitchen cabinets?

I haven’t done it personally but have friends who have. They say it is way more work than they expected. If I wanted to do it I would do a bathroom cabinet first as practice.

Also, if you buy some floetrol to put in the paint, you won’t get brush strokes or roller marks. You can get it at Home Depot for about $7. So worth it!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (04-28-2018), WanderingJuniper (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 06:29 AM   #3
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I am following also as we are looking at houses it is something I think about as a pocibility

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:40 AM   #4
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I did it. Ugly brown to white.

Love it.

But tons of work!!!!!!!

Cleaning took hours. Paint won't stick it not super clean.

Sanding, sanding, sanding.

Caulking. Filling old hinge holes.

Primer.

Paint 3 thin coats.

New soft, close hinges. Swoon!

I followed the frugal girl's website directions.

Then I had to pay a painter 800 bucks to come in and fix my caulk errors. Because we're selling. They looked okay for me but buyers would have been like, hey, DIYer, don't quit your day job.

I agree, practice on wood bathroom cabinets.

I bought wood and saw horses for faster drying.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (05-02-2018), Virginia (04-29-2018), WanderingJuniper (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't done it but I've read tons of blogs and watched tons of videos on how to do it. Because while I'd prefer new cabinets, I will probably go the cheaper route and paint or possibly reface.

You can buy liquid sander. I highly recommend looking into that. Sanding is a HUGE job. It may be called a deglazing product. It removes the glaze and roughs up the surface.

Don't go cheap on primer. Primer is what make paint last.

If you like shabby chic or vintage farmhouse, there are matte paints that don't require any prep. Seriously. They are completely matte and they will get dinged up-- but that is the point. It's not for me but I have friends who love the old vintage farmhouse style and it does look great if you love that kind of thing. I cannot remember the brands of paint they've used but I'm sure you can find it. They did have to wax it after but it still would be less work than using regular paint.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

This is just a small cabinet but she used chalk paint. No sanding, no primer. This one isn't waxed. I guess some need to be waxed and some don't. Not sure about that.

https://littlevintagenest.com/easy-f...inet-makeover/
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
WanderingJuniper (04-29-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #6
twentysixcats
Rose Garden

twentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond repute

The two people I've known who have done it have had the paint wear off the frequently used places after 5ish years or so. (Like the silverware drawer, the cabinet where the cups are.) I don't know how hard it would be to touch up, though.
DD2 (7/2012)
DD3 (9/2014)
twentysixcats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twentysixcats For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

My friend did it and loves the results. But it's a lot of work of your doing it yourself. I'd personally hire someone to do it.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 07:26 PM   #8
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

If you clean with TSP and sand to bare wood, you might be able to get a painter to do the rest for a reasonable price.

I followed the frugal girl .com

Directions.

And a few others to confirm hers was good.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 08:18 PM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
My friend did it and loves the results. But it's a lot of work of your doing it yourself. I'd personally hire someone to do it.
I'm leaning toward refacing because I don't like my cabinet doors, anyway. They replace the doors and reface everything else. And you get to pick out hardware.

And the thought of doing all that work makes me .

But then I realize I want to rip out my island and redo that, completely, so maybe I should just bite the bullet and get all new cabinets. I want the really tall ones, if I replace.

I should buy a lottery ticket so I can stop daydreaming.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2018, 10:15 AM   #10
twentysixcats
Rose Garden

twentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond repute

I really want new cabinets, too. Ours aren't wood and they're almost 40 years old - falling apart. I looked into painting them as a temporary fix before we can afford to replace, but after doing all the research I decided it was more work than I wanted to put into cabinets that I plan to replace as soon as we can figure out the money.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
DD2 (7/2012)
DD3 (9/2014)
twentysixcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:43 AM   #11
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

Paying someone is a privelage I do not have right now or in the next 3 years with Hubs still in school and the paint job done on them over a decade ago is beat up. I tried to shabby chic them but it just looks more old and tired instead of trendy.

I grabbed some deglosser this weekend and am going to try that on the cabinets to start. If we can pick up enough side work we might consider replacing the doors and drawer faces but even that is adding up so maybe not.

I appreciate all the tips. If we ever sell a new kitchen won’t impact the worth of our home tremendously like it does in other neighborhoods. In over a decade Home prices having fluxed too much one way or the other. It’s just a simple townhome in a working class neighborhood. Even houses that have been updated don’t sell much above others. So we have decided to update for us not with an eye to sell because we live here now and for the long forswable future.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (04-30-2018), knitlove (04-30-2018), Soliloquy (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 07:13 AM   #12
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingJuniper View Post
So we have decided to update for us not with an eye to sell because we live here now and for the long forswable future.
I think this is always wise

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
WanderingJuniper (04-30-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #13
marigold
Rose Trellis

marigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud of

I painted my kitchen last summer. I went with pale blueish walls and I wanted like Ikea gray cabinets. It was a bunch of sanding and cleaning. I probably didn't do a good job patching. I found a bunch of holes afterwards that I should have patched. Painting wasn't that bad I just used a little roller and it went really quickly. My gray wasn't quite dark enough so the blue walls and grey cupboards blend a little too much but overall I am very happy with it. (It is a million times better than the black cupboards and grayish/greenish/brownish walls that were here when we moved in) If we ever do sell the new owners will put in new cupboards because these are in poor shape but replacing isn't in our budget right now so I'm happy with what I got.
ds1 - June 2009
ds2 - April 2011
ds3 - October 2013
dd2 - November 2015
Image already added
marigold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marigold For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-01-2018), Soliloquy (05-02-2018), WanderingJuniper (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #14
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold View Post
I painted my kitchen last summer. I went with pale blueish walls and I wanted like Ikea gray cabinets. It was a bunch of sanding and cleaning. I probably didn't do a good job patching. I found a bunch of holes afterwards that I should have patched. Painting wasn't that bad I just used a little roller and it went really quickly. My gray wasn't quite dark enough so the blue walls and grey cupboards blend a little too much but overall I am very happy with it. (It is a million times better than the black cupboards and grayish/greenish/brownish walls that were here when we moved in) If we ever do sell the new owners will put in new cupboards because these are in poor shape but replacing isn't in our budget right now so I'm happy with what I got.
Thank you for the reminder about enough contrast. I double checked the colors I selected.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (05-02-2018), marigold (05-05-2018), Soliloquy (05-02-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:35 PM   #15
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute

Me! Well, I'm actually in the middle of my cupboard redo. My cupboards are wood that the previous owners painted over....directly over stain. . So the paint (which was completely matte ) chipped and peeled.

Last summer I got the doors completely sanded. Early fall I sanded every part of my cupboards in my house. I'm thiiiis close to having all the cupboard innards and sides repainted. Doors are all that's left.

It's taken forever, but that's ok because I'm doing it all myself. My upper cupboards will be white. My lower cupboards a very deep teal. It contrasts well with my medium green walls.
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to backtobasicsmum For This Useful Post:
knitlove (05-02-2018), Soliloquy (05-02-2018), WanderingJuniper (05-02-2018)