Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute
Default A Public Service Announcement for those over 40

A course in voice-mail usage for people over the age of 40. (Younger than that and you are generally aware of this etiquette.

In a word: Don't.

Basically: If you call and want to talk or want the other person to know you called or want the other person to know you called, then hang up. The other person will get the "message" by seeing your phone number on caller ID. And if you have something you actually need to tell them you text them. This way the person never has to check their voice-mail which is annoying.

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-26-2012), Calee (04-27-2012), Cherish (04-27-2012), DancingWithElves (04-27-2012), Domina (04-26-2012), Elspeth (04-26-2012), Eowyn (04-26-2012), JJsMom (04-26-2012), JustMandy (04-26-2012), Katigre (04-26-2012), momyshaver (04-28-2012), Niphredil (04-26-2012), november (04-28-2012), poleidopy (04-27-2012), Stiina (04-28-2012), StrangeTraveller (04-27-2012), Virginia (04-28-2012), WI Mama05 (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
Tengokujin
Rose Trellis

Citizen of Heaven

Tengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Public Service Announcement for those over 40

OK, so when would one actually leave a message on voice mail?

And how does voice mail usage differ from using an answering machine to leave a message?

yeah, I'm over 40!
Mom of Jason, DOB 08/25/03 and David, DOB 04/07/07, and DS#3 due May 1st

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well. Psalm 139:14 (NIV)

Tengokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
dukeofhazzard
Deactivated

dukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Because I really like knowing whether or not it's important or if they just called to talk so that I can know how quickly I need to get back to them.

All my friends leave voicemails and we're all under 40.
dukeofhazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to dukeofhazzard For This Useful Post:
AdrienneQW (04-27-2012), Allison (04-26-2012), backtobasicsmum (04-26-2012), Barefoot Bookworm (04-26-2012), cbmk4 (04-26-2012), domesticzookeeper (04-26-2012), hopeforchange (04-26-2012), JenLovie (04-27-2012), JessicaNichole (04-27-2012), Lady TS (04-27-2012), mamaeffie (04-26-2012), momyshaver (04-28-2012), Peridot (04-26-2012), PlateauMama (04-28-2012), PurpleButterfly (04-27-2012), Rabbit (04-27-2012), ReedleBeetle (04-26-2012), schmamy (04-27-2012), Thankfulforgrace (04-26-2012), WanderingJuniper (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deena View Post
A course in voice-mail usage for people over the age of 40. (Younger than that and you are generally aware of this etiquette.

In a word: Don't.

Basically: If you call and want to talk or want the other person to know you called or want the other person to know you called, then hang up. The other person will get the "message" by seeing your phone number on caller ID. And if you have something you actually need to tell them you text them. This way the person never has to check their voice-mail which is annoying.
THANK YOU! (And I"m over 40) I HATE voicemail. Unless the person doesn't need a response, and simply wants to tell me something, like a dr office confirming appt time or something.
Calee (04-27-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have to know the individual person, though, to know if they listen to their messages. I listen to my answering machine, but I never listen to my cell phone voice mail. I do know people my age who listen to their voice mail and others who don't.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Katydid (04-27-2012), Six Little Feet (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
dukeofhazzard
Deactivated

dukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond reputedukeofhazzard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
I think you have to know the individual person, though, to know if they listen to their messages. I listen to my answering machine, but I never listen to my cell phone voice mail. I do know people my age who listen to their voice mail and others who don't.
And I rarely if ever listen to my answering machine because no one I actually know calls my land line - that's all sales people and whatnot. Everyone else calls my cell and I listen to those VM's. Now, my absolute preference if you can't get me when you call is to send me a quick text . Easier to check, .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dukeofhazzard For This Useful Post:
PurpleButterfly (04-27-2012), teamommy (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeofhazzard View Post
And I rarely if ever listen to my answering machine because no one I actually know calls my land line - that's all sales people and whatnot. Everyone else calls my cell and I listen to those VM's. Now, my absolute preference if you can't get me when you call is to send me a quick text . Easier to check, .
And I pay 20 cents for each text I receive so I'd rather not get too many of them. Also I can't text worth squat- I always make mistakes and don't know how to fix them so if I have to send a text it will have a few random q's in the middle of a word, etc, and I hate doing that, so I'd rather not text someone. And I have to pay 20 cents to send a text as well.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Lady TS (04-27-2012), schmamy (04-27-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
dukeofhazzard
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
And I pay 20 cents for each text I receive so I'd rather not get too many of them. Also I can't text worth squat- I always make mistakes and don't know how to fix them so if I have to send a text it will have a few random q's in the middle of a word, etc, and I hate doing that, so I'd rather not text someone. And I have to pay 20 cents to send a text as well.
I never ever text anyone without asking if they pay for individual texts or if they have unlimited texting .
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dukeofhazzard For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-26-2012), ReedleBeetle (04-26-2012), TenderLovingWillow (04-27-2012), Thankfulforgrace (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #9
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute

I say right on my VM that if you want an answer to text me though LOL. And i only have a cell, no landline. I have Cricket so everything i unlimited, I often have to stop and consider friends who have to pay for me saying LOL or ok.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #10
Amy
Rose Trellis

chocolate distraction

Amy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond repute

For me it depends. I have a friend who never leaves a message so I call her back, but for everyone else if they don't leave a message I assume it wasn't important and they'll call back. If I don't leave a message for my mom, she'll call back thinking something's wrong.
ds2 (4/11)
Married to (since 12/97)

No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of anyone who isn't trying." ~ unknown
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amy For This Useful Post:
Lady TS (04-27-2012), PurpleButterfly (04-27-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #11
Victorious
Rose Garden

Victorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond repute

My mil always leaves "it's me, call me". Yes, I gathered all of that from the missed call. I wish she would just give some amount of info. I.e. this is important or don't worry about calling right back. Her texts are also always "call me". . Details please!
Amy (04/26/11)

Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Victorious For This Useful Post:
deena (04-28-2012), PurpleButterfly (04-27-2012), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (04-28-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #12
dukeofhazzard
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
My mil always leaves "it's me, call me". Yes, I gathered all of that from the missed call. I wish she would just give some amount of info. I.e. this is important or don't worry about calling right back. Her texts are also always "call me". . Details please!
YES! Messages are for details! I'm with you on this one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dukeofhazzard For This Useful Post:
jenn3514 (04-26-2012), PurpleButterfly (04-27-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #13
inesperada
Rose Garden

Play nice, y'all.

inesperada has disabled reputation

Yeah....checking voicemail is annoying. If you leave me one, it better be of the "ok, I couldn't get ahold of you but you need to know X info...and now that you know it there's no need for you to call me back" variety. Or at the very least provide their reason for calling.

Wife of mi medianaranja, the tender-hearted servant, whose still waters run deep
Abbott, intensely 10
Hooch, SIX!
Our God is the God of the unexpected. ~Bill Crowder
inesperada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to inesperada For This Useful Post:
Calee (04-27-2012), Elora (05-01-2012), Peridot (04-26-2012), PurpleButterfly (04-27-2012), racheepoo (04-26-2012), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (04-28-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #14
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

if you need a response or if I need to know right away, and you aren't good at texting, you'd better text me saying. left urgnt vm. plz c.
inesperada (04-26-2012), racheepoo (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #15
inesperada
Rose Garden

Play nice, y'all.

inesperada has disabled reputation

Yeah....I check voicemail when the notification starts annoying me, so it might be days or weeks. If its urgent, call again or text.

Wife of mi medianaranja, the tender-hearted servant, whose still waters run deep
Abbott, intensely 10
Hooch, SIX!
Our God is the God of the unexpected. ~Bill Crowder
inesperada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to inesperada For This Useful Post:
AdrienneQW (04-27-2012), allisonintx (04-26-2012), deena (04-28-2012), Elora (05-01-2012), JustMandy (04-26-2012), Niphredil (04-26-2012), racheepoo (04-26-2012), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (04-28-2012)