Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Leslie_JJKs_mom
Rose Garden

loving my family since 1991

Leslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Atkins

Anyone here on this? I have been on Carbohydrate addicts diet and honestly I think I need to switch at least for a little while. I have been going over recipies so I can get past the oh my I can't do this to thinking I can do this. I am used to being able to have one meal that has anything I want. So how hard was it to find replacements so you did not feel like you were missing out?

Mommy to our valentine sweetheart, Jessica Lynn, and March Jellybean, Kaitlyn Elizabeth. My heart is overflowing with love for my precious girls.

Wife to my best friend

Homeschooling, sometimes co sleeping mommy to a teenager and sweet little one
Leslie_JJKs_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Atkins

I'm of the mindset that you shouldn't replace food. You shouldn't be replacing a candy bar with an atkins bar or sugar with splenda. I think it makes it way harder because you are still eating like a person who is eating the SAD rather than making a lifestyle change. HIghly processed foods are going to kill you if they are atkins friendly or not.
Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Can'tTurnLeft For This Useful Post:
gpsings (04-10-2012), greendelight (04-10-2012), Katigre (04-10-2012), Lily (04-10-2012), mamaeffie (04-10-2012), PaperMomma (04-12-2012), Pragmatist (04-11-2012), Soliloquy (04-16-2012), Sparrow (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Leslie_JJKs_mom
Rose Garden

Leslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond repute

I am already mostly no carb with the diet I am on now, but I have these last 30 pounds that just will not come off. I have been contemplating going Atkins to see if it would kick start things again. I already eat non processed and no sugar so that will not be hard. What will be hard is giving up bread, pasta and desert in my one meal I allow carbohydrates.

Mommy to our valentine sweetheart, Jessica Lynn, and March Jellybean, Kaitlyn Elizabeth. My heart is overflowing with love for my precious girls.

Wife to my best friend

Old 04-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
SilverMoon
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong. — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SilverMoon has disabled reputation

I've been Atkins, low-carb, for years. I'm more wholelottafoods-free now.

I agree with CTL, but it's ok to transition if that helps. Like cauliflower with cheese, sour cream, even cream cheese, makes a decent substitute for mashed potatoes. The bread substitutes are just bad. I never tried the ricotta cheese rolls, though. As you go on, though, it's better to replace current food with something entirely different and more healthy, rather than trying to find an exactly low-carb replacement. They never taste the same, and in some cases are more harmful to the body because of the chemicals.

My recent favorites have been a whole sauteed Spanish onion cooked in olive oil, which I've decided is my current comfort food. I guess it's like a replacement for noodles, though I don't put spaghetti sauce on it.
When I was able to eat a wider variety of foods I would make the same Italian dishes I've always enjoyed but had meat instead of pasta. Like spaghetti sauce over Italian sausage or chicken breasts with mozzarella melted on top. I didn't miss the spaghetti.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, though, because I've been wheat-free since 1999. I don't remember struggling with withdrawal, except the first few days. After that I allowed one meal on Fridays for pizza until I reached my goal. I found after 4 days without breads I could taste them hidden in things like stuffed mushrooms.

"Trust is rebuilt by focusing not on what the other person did or did not do but on critiquing one's own behavior, improving one's trustworthiness, and focusing attention not on words and promises but on actions, attitudes, and ways of being."
— Kenneth Cloke and Joan Goldsmith
The Art of Waking People Up

for the many, many wise voices we've lost

SilverMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SilverMoon For This Useful Post:
gpsings (04-10-2012), Leslie_JJKs_mom (04-10-2012), Sparrow (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Leslie_JJKs_mom
Rose Garden

Oh thanks. Yeah when I first went just the low carb for breakfast and lunch I had some serious withdrawl. I thought of nothing of toast made from home made bread and grilled cheese. It lasted a few days but soon passed. Hopefully since I already limit it wont be so bad.

Wife to my best friend

Old 04-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

ORANGE you glad I made a new avatar? :D

gpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond repute

I've done Atkins many times, and it's always been really good for my body type.
I'm currently only looking to lose about 15 pounds, but I find that the induction phase helps me to 'reset' my sugar cravings, aside from getting me into that weight loss groove, my body just has more energy, etc. Once I'm off the sweet stuff, ya know?
I do agree with Can'tTurnLeft in that the 'man made' sweeteners are really no better than sugar/ carbs. They trick your body into thinking it's real sugar, and you still have insulin spikes that make you hungry. The best way I've found is just to dive into the fat. Cream, cream cheese, red meat, salads and deviled eggs. I carry carl budding meat packs when I'm away from home (I know it's just balogna, but it's better than a bar) and drink actual protein shakes instead of the canned ones if that's what I'm craving.
I might be more indulgent in 2 weeks.

I'm here for support if you need!

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin
Blessed AP, Homeschooling mama to:
Aneliese age 13, Breena age 10, and Caden age 7

gpsings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Leslie_JJKs_mom
Rose Garden

Thanks

I do use spenda for sweetner but try to stay away from aspertame. I do not react to it like some people do. I find that if I am craving a sweet I can make a cream cheese and real whipped cream with some splenda and it will help the sweet tooth. I got a blender so I can make some sugar free slushi type drinks for when it is hot. I hope that will help as well to feel like I am having a treat.

Wife to my best friend

Old 04-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

gpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond repute

This stuff is awesome.

It comes in flavors. It's my hero.
Also, I do the cream cheese and whip thing too. You just gotta have something sometimes, right?

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gpsings For This Useful Post:
Leslie_JJKs_mom (04-11-2012), SilverMoon (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
Leslie_JJKs_mom
Rose Garden

Is it like stevia? I tried that and it is not only bitter but caused horrible stomach cramps for me.

Wife to my best friend

Old 04-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Ugh! That's aweful! Most sweeteners have fillers in them such as corn starch. This is pure stevia with no fillers, but if you're sure you can't take stevia then I wouldn't recommend it.
I will say this, though...Induction phase of Atkins will cause constipation if you're prone to it. Be prepared for that. I still haven't found a good relief for that, except running. Drinking a lot of water is important, but I can't preach that because I'm really bad about that.

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin

Old 04-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
Leslie_JJKs_mom
Rose Garden

I have no fear of that. I have an autoimmune thing that attack my tummy. I go too much.

I bought it from the health food store and the first thing I noticed is it was so bitter I had no idea how anyone thought it was sweet.

Wife to my best friend

Old 04-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Leslie_JJKs_mom
Rose Garden

I just made my first low carb dinner. I made DH a baked potato to go with it and I had mashed cauliflower. I stayed completely in the rules about acceptable foods and I feel like I cheated it was so good. I kept the oatmeal out of the meatloaf and put in a couple stalks of celery and extra garlic instead and had some fresh green beans. It was so good.

Even my favorite dips are ok as long as I do not use chips. My Parmesan dip I make just grill some chicken and serve it over that tomorrow.

Wife to my best friend

The Following User Says Thank You to Leslie_JJKs_mom For This Useful Post:
gpsings (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
SilverMoon
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong. — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SilverMoon has disabled reputation

The dinner sounds delicious. That's how I ate Atkins while the rest of my family at regular food. I made a meat entree and salad or veggie I could have, plus sides the rest of the family enjoyed. My husband doesn't care how I eat, as long as he can continue eating what he wants. With meals like that, he never felt deprived. I did stop making casseroles, though.

For dips, I used crunchy veggies instead of chips. Peppers, celery and snap peas were favorites. For a little while I did use pork rinds but really don't like them.
There are also recipes online for low-carb cheese crackers that are only shredded cheese and spices, baked in the oven. I haven't tried them (I'm cow dairy-free) but have heard they're delicious.

"Trust is rebuilt by focusing not on what the other person did or did not do but on critiquing one's own behavior, improving one's trustworthiness, and focusing attention not on words and promises but on actions, attitudes, and ways of being."
— Kenneth Cloke and Joan Goldsmith
The Art of Waking People Up

for the many, many wise voices we've lost

SilverMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SilverMoon For This Useful Post:
chasingbutterflies (04-10-2012), Leslie_JJKs_mom (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Oh, yeah! You can make taco shells/ nachos out of cheese, pizza crust out of cauliflower and cheese (yes this is really good!) and I use pork rinds in place of bread crumbs on casseroles or fried chicken, etc.

I also make creamy cauliflower soup and freeze it to use instead of a cream soup I would normally use in casserole. I make a mean chicken, broccoli, cheese casserole that's totally Atkins friendly, and my whole family loves it.

Here are some other low-carb goodies that you can copy or alter...I would ignore most of the desserts, though.

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin

The Following User Says Thank You to gpsings For This Useful Post:
Leslie_JJKs_mom (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
Leslie_JJKs_mom
Rose Garden

Oh how do you make taco shells out of cauliflower and cheese? That sounds yummy.

Wife to my best friend