Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:19 AM   #1
faithoverfear

Default Natural Remedies for Difficult Menstrual Cycles

My daughter (12 in just a few weeks) began her period last fall. Her cycles since then are close together (about three weeks apart - this last one just shy of that, I think), and relatively long (about a week). I had expected her to have a much lighter experience in the beginning, being so young, and have felt badly for her. But worse than that is the fact that during her periods, she practically turns into someone else. She has really rough mood swings, but usually only on the negative scale - from depression to anger - and is not very rational or reasonable during that week. In calmer moments, she acknowledges this, and bemoans how badly her period makes her feel. Physically, she doesn't have a lot of abdominal cramping, but she has backaches, headaches, and leg cramps. Often this all sneaks up on me, and when she crashes through her day like a dragon, I am frustrated with her, until she finally says something about it being her time of the month, and then I feel badly about not being more sympathetic. Last night after a really rough day, I realized I needed to get more serious about trying to help her through this. Because she is more independent these days than my younger children, I think I forget sometimes that she needs attention and TLC, too, and this is something she particularly needs help with.

So - any ideas or suggestions for some natural remedies that might help her? I have read about some herbal remedies for PMS, but I am not sure what she can use, being so young, and PMS doesn't seem to be as much a problem as the week of her period itself, being so frequent, long, and intense.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
HomeyT
Rose Trellis

HomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Natural Remedies for Difficult Menstrual Cycles

Have you looked into estrosense? That worked well for me.
What about maca?
Sorry I can't be of more help...it's been awhile since I was figuring out my own Pms issues

Do you have insurance to see a naturopath? This helped me tremendously!!!
She told me aunt flo should not be painful or terrible. Obviously it's 'there' but that too many women suffer.

Your poor daughter! That's awesome she has a compassionate mom!! that really does help!
Old 05-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Psyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe some cal mag?

Are you getting her good sources of iron to help with the depletion?

working full time, wife to Jason since '02, mom to C 12 years old, J 9 years old , and T 6 years old , mouse catching, Izzy, and rabbit chasing, Ellie.
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Psyche For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

Poor thing!

I'd definitely do some cal/mag for the cramping - a soak in epsom salts should do the trick too, and I'm sure she'd appreciate a hot bath alone.

Have you plugged her symptoms into the remedy finder at abchomeopathy.com? I've found quite a few remedies that help various things by doing that.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarynMunchkins For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Damselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond repute

If it were my daughter I would try having her drink nettle infusions regularly and then drink red raspberry infusions during her period. I have seen a drastic improvement in my PMS symptoms and the duration, heaviness and intensity of my period since doing that. (I have a tendency towards flooding.) Oatstraw infusions would probably be helpful too but I'm crediting the nettle with my experience because I've heard other people find help from it too.
Damselfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Damselfly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #6
Shutterbug
Rose Bush

Shutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to all

I have a friend who recommended chasteberry for hormonal balance. I haven't done a lot of research on it and don't know if there is an age limit but wanted to throw it out there for you.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
PaperMomma
Rose Garden

PaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond repute

It's extreme, but the GAPS diet has reduced my pms related anxiety/mood swings drastically. If you want, I can pm you the blog post I wrote about it. Mine was really bad- I felt like a crazy person was inhabiting my body at those times.

Momma to
"Sister" 5yo
"Scoomer" 3yo
PaperMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaperMomma For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
faithoverfear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperMomma View Post
It's extreme, but the GAPS diet has reduced my pms related anxiety/mood swings drastically. If you want, I can pm you the blog post I wrote about it. Mine was really bad- I felt like a crazy person was inhabiting my body at those times.

Yes, please do! We really need to figure something out for her.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperMomma View Post
We have a rather large fb support group (well over 100 women) for people on GAPS and every single one has had their cycles normalize, including the women with PCOS.

I would also look into iodine supplementation. If she has any other symptoms of thyroid issues, get a FULL thyroid panel done (the TSH test is useless by itself)

www.theiodineproject.com

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Shutterbug (05-16-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #10
faithoverfear

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I called her doctor yesterday, because I am unsure about doasages and such as her age. We are going to talk more about it sometime this morning.

---------- Post added at 04:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 AM ----------

*dosages
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (05-17-2012)