Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 07-15-2006, 07:08 PM   #1
Mamaka
Deactivated

Mamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond repute
Default K12, Inc curriculum?

Does anyone have any experience with this curriculum/hsing approach? http://www.k12.com/

Oops, gotta run, baby calls
Mamaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
Gretchen

Default Re: K12, Inc curriculum?

I've met a few people that homeschool with K12 (through a charter academy) and they're all really happy with it.

My kids go to a Core Knowledge charter school and one of the administrators at the school told me that she thinks K12 is superior to CK in many ways. In any case, from what I've heard, it's a good curriculum.

Gretchen
Old 07-15-2006, 08:07 PM   #3
This Busy Mom

The virtual academies in Ohio use it. It's supposed to be very good . I pointed one single mom in that direction (virtual academy) due to financial restraints and she said they really liked it, although it was harder than the work her ds had been doing in ps (I think he was in 5th or 6th grade). I think they only did it for a year. I haven't seen it personally, though. I know I've heard a lot of families that go the v.a. route end up going back to ps because it's too rigorous...

I think it's a bit expensive if you just buy it outright.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:22 PM   #4
Mamaka
Deactivated

Mamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond repute

Reason I ask, is a va has just started here in WA and we went to an info session on it. We can use their curriculum for free and still keep our hs status by just choosing to opt out of at least one of their class offerings. From what we saw of the curriculum and the program we thought it looked pretty good, especially the LA & history. We weren't as impressed w/the math (former math teacher here) so would probably do that and a few other classes ourselves. Still thinking about it, not sure I'm ready to start "formal" schooling anyway & am not sure I like a school district having that much say and being that aware of where my child is at educationally iykwim. It is supposed to be much more rigorous than ps offerings so that is a definite plus. Anyway it's good to hear positive reports about it from outside unbiased sources
Old 07-16-2006, 03:13 AM   #5
hsgbdmama
Deactivated

Yeah, it's winter here ...

hsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond repute

It is a very rigorous curriculum, but very good.

Quote:
We weren't as impressed w/the math (former math teacher here) so would probably do that and a few other classes ourselves.
If you do it under the virtual charter school (VCS) vs. a homeschool, you will need to do the whole thing, as the VCS is a public school.

Quote:
Still thinking about it, not sure I'm ready to start "formal" schooling anyway & am not sure I like a school district having that much say and being that aware of where my child is at educationally iykwim.
You can also do it privately as a homeschooler and purchase the subjects you want to; this way, there is no oversight of what you are doing.
hsgbdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:20 AM   #6
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

It's fine as far as curriculum afaik and I do know some people who have used it.

I did want to point out that the HSLDA and the general homeschooling community is opposed to it as it's not *technically* homeschooling but is public schooling at home and the concern is that the more people who embrace this the more the public school system will feel welcome to come into the homeschooling community and assert themselves. Many perceive it as an effort by the public school system to assert itself into the homeschooling community.

Just thought I'd point out that this idea is out there and pretty strong--should you do K12 you can expect to encounter it.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:18 AM   #7
hsgbdmama
Deactivated

Yeah, it's winter here ...

hsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Crystal, the homeschooling community has been very against VCS ... the VCSers know that they are not homeschooling and don't pass it off as such.
hsgbdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:57 PM   #8
Mamaka
Deactivated

Quote:
If you do it under the virtual charter school (VCS) vs. a homeschool, you will need to do the whole thing, as the VCS is a public school.
Actually that's one of the questions we asked as we would want to keep our hs status if we were to do this, and this particular va is choosing to allow families to sign up for their choice of classes. To keep our hs status in WA we would only need to opt out of 1 class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove
I did want to point out that the HSLDA and the general homeschooling community is opposed to it as it's not *technically* homeschooling but is public schooling at home and the concern is that the more people who embrace this the more the public school system will feel welcome to come into the homeschooling community and assert themselves. Many perceive it as an effort by the public school system to assert itself into the homeschooling community.

Just thought I'd point out that this idea is out there and pretty strong--should you do K12 you can expect to encounter it.
That's our biggest problem w/it. I don't like the idea of someone else having that much access to our schooling or having to potentially meet certain guidelines, etc. And to be required to take the state standardized test (if we went ft) - we would still probably do the test for our own info but I want the option not the requirement or the pressure.

Thanks, this all good discussion & is helping me to solidify some of what I'm thinking.