Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Goosebumps and Captain Underpants??

My dd, 7, loves "Goosebumps" series and oh gosh, the Captain Underpants series. Recently, I thought it was getting unhealthy, as she was totally immersed in them, to the point of reading those library books over and over and neglecting her other chapter books (like her mom, she usually has more than one book going at a time). She also typically gets very obsessed about something and I'm used to that.

Does anyone else feel like those books created an unhealthy, almost like adrenaline rush in their child? Cause she LOVES getting the "shivers" as she puts it. She's a sensory seeker, and apparently for her brain as well as her body.

I finally told her only one a week of each and she had to read some "Boxcar Children" and "Magic Treehouse"-type books as well. I told her they were like cupcakes which are good, but not if that's all you eat and it prevents you from eating real food.

Just curious if anyone else was leery of those books.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goosebumps and Captain Underpants??

I am leery of those books, and others. But I'm a classical/CM educator, so I probably have a bit of book snobbery about it.

I remember in high school everyone was reading ghost stories and they really did have an addictive quality to them. The benefits of reading -- for knowledge, seeing the world from another person's perspective, broadening the mind -- can be obscured when a person comes to expect an emotional thrill from a sensationalistic story. It's like getting addicted to the exciting flavor of Cheese Doritos, Snickers bars and the burn of a Coke -- until healthy food loses its appeal.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:16 AM   #3
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Leslie. I think you put your finger on what bothered me in the last paragraph. I am CM-minded myself, but I do try to put aside my personal feelings for my very strong willed child LOL.

A little "scary" as dessert, but that's enough. I remember enjoying being titillated by books, too, namely V.C. Andrews when I was a teenager, but I also read tons of the classics and the KJV Bible and everything.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
jenn3514
Rose Garden

Be assured, God is in the details.

jenn3514 has disabled reputation

DD loves Captain Underpants. We don't have Goosebumps books. She does like Junie B. though- and I know alot of people don't. We used it more to get her into reading than anything else. Then we turned Junie B. into grammer lessons and talks about different styles of writing.
At nine- she still visits these books occassionally, but she is a big reader of other, meatier books so I don't worry to much.
It did help us to say- "you can read these books as much as you like- as long you give me 20 minutes of reading a book of my choice" We used this approach for both of the olders, and they each gave us sooo much more than the 20 minutes we asked.
jenn3514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:37 AM   #5
teamommy
Rose Garden

Spring!

teamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond repute

Ds7 doesn't know about Goosebumps but he does know about Captain Underpants. He also really loves the Star Wars books, including the ones that are comic book form. I think they are junk but I don't want to be too controlling about it. Our rule is that he can check out ONE of these type of books per week. And I will not buy these type of books--though he hasn't asked, yet.

Relatives tend to send him a lot of twaddly Scholastic early reader series books. I don't love these either, but I don't banish them from the house. To be honest one of my huge issues with Capt. Underpants is the potty focus. Little boys really don't need any help with the potty humor, lol.
teamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:59 AM   #6
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

teamommy, neither do 7 year old girls.

Yeah, I limit to one a week, too.

Ash, I don't know, I am trying to have her NOT read the scary stuff and be so "shivery" about it. She gets obsessed easily, trust me. Maybe I'll read them first, honestly I dont' even like the LOOk of Goosebumps and I had to swallow my pride one Sunday when she sat in church reading it (our compromise to her ADHD is to let her read in church, shrug, nothing's perfect) and since then I've banned them from church LOL.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

ohhh, I bet she'd like the Frank Peretti kids series...I did. They aren't nearly as spiritually charged as his other stuff, and they're based on archeological mystery (a la Indiana Jones). They're well written. Good compromise, maybe?

Last edited by Aisling; 08-20-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote