Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #46
blondie
Rose Garden

A little bit crunchy, a little bit rock n' roll!

blondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: okay, let's go microwave-free

I didn't even want to put one in when we remodeled our kitchen, but my husband insisted. I don't use it much, but he does.

Lilla Rose Stylist
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #47
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

I totally didn't realize there was much difference in microwave vs stovetop popcorn. Can someone put this into words for me so I can have a little preview?

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

I heated up a piece of cake in the toaster oven. It was homemade peanut butter cake and the icing got all drippy and gooey on the tray and the cake was still cold at the very center. But I suppose there is a learning curve to it just as there is to the microwave.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #48
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, for starters there's no fake butter on stovetop popcorn my dh makes it with olive oil and butter for savory or butter and coconut oil for sweet popcorn. We put salt and brewers yeast and sage and whatever else sounds good on the savory kind. Then we use raw sugar with a bit of salt for the sweet kind. So it's not all that bad for you either... No weird preservatives or hydrogenated oils and it just tastes so good

Once you get good at making it in a pot it doesn't really take much more time either. Just more attention and the major downside is having to wash the pot, but if you do it right away and pour boiling water in the bottom of the pot right afterwards (from the tea kettle!) it's not bad at all

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (11-06-2011), Chaos Coordinator (11-06-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #49
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

Been micro free for about 5 years. Don't miss it AT ALL.

Now off to read the thread....

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

We do not own a toaster oven either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtobasicsmum View Post
Just peeking in here for ideas. We have a microwave that we use a LOT. But it's 11+ years old and I'm sure it will quit unexpectedly someday.

How do you deal with the need to heat up leftovers quickly? Like noon hits, all four kids are hungry NOW. It seems to take so long in my toaster oven to get anything warm. And yes, planning ahead is obviously needed, but you guys know how kids can go from "not even remotely hungry" to "I have to eat NOW or I just might die" in about 30 seconds.
It really does not take that long. almost everything I reaheat is on the stove top and takes less than 5 minutes usually. If the kids ARE THAT hungry, they can start with the fruit or veggie I usually serve with the leftovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleMomof4 View Post
The *only* reason I haven't gotten rid of mine is because I use it for my hot bag. (I don't know what it's called. ) I don't know any other way to heat it without a microwave and I use that thing all. the. time. If it weren't for that, I'd toss the microwave today.
I use a sock with rice in it for my "hot bag" and heat it up in the oven.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8

Last edited by Codi; 11-05-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typo
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (11-06-2011), GentleMomof4 (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #50
GentleMomof4
Rose Trellis

My sweet C turns 19 this year!!

GentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codi View Post
Been micro free for about 5 years. Don't miss it AT ALL.

Now off to read the thread....

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

We do not own a toaster oven either.

It really does not take that long. almost everything I reaheat is on the stove top and takes less than 5 minutes usually. If the kids ARE THAT hungry, they can start with the fruit or veggie I usually serve with the leftovers.

I use a sock with rice in it for my "hot bag" and heat it up in the oven.
I've had mine for several years now. I don't remember what it's made of, but I wondered if I could heat it in the oven. How long/what temp do you heat yours on?
Holder of The Chalice of Reading Endurance
GentleMomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #51
Codi
Rose Garden

I just turn it on (it defaults to 350) and toss it in until it feels warm enough. Takes longer than the micro for sure, but Just like the rest, you get used to it and plan ahead.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Definitely check what yours is made of first. And rice in a sock is cheap if you decide you want to replace it.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (11-06-2011), GentleMomof4 (11-06-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #52
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, definitely make sure there's no plastic on your rice sock before putting it in the oven. Some of the commercial ones do and it makes quite a mess. A friend of mine found that out the hard way although it wasn't as bad to clean up as she initially thought.

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Codi (11-05-2011), GentleMomof4 (11-06-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #53
Codi
Rose Garden

Oh and wanted to say that a teakettle (as much as I loved mine before it was too well loved to use anymore ) is not necessary. I haven't had one in a while and usually just boil my water in a pot.

Im going to boil some right now as a matter of fact for some tea!

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Old 11-06-2011, 05:27 AM   #54
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

we don't have one and have not for a very long time. I love it when I go to the dentist, refuse x rays and then they bring up the kitchen nuke and I just smile...because I haven't had one for years.

and, it is awesome.

it really is no big deal and you get used to it real quick. we make tea on the stove in a kettle, we own a hot air popper and we warm our food in the stove.

really, it is just a paradigm switch.
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprout For This Useful Post:
GentleMomof4 (11-06-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #55
jandjmommy
Rose Bouquet

jandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtobasicsmum View Post
Just peeking in here for ideas. We have a microwave that we use a LOT. But it's 11+ years old and I'm sure it will quit unexpectedly someday.

How do you deal with the need to heat up leftovers quickly? Like noon hits, all four kids are hungry NOW. It seems to take so long in my toaster oven to get anything warm. And yes, planning ahead is obviously needed, but you guys know how kids can go from "not even remotely hungry" to "I have to eat NOW or I just might die" in about 30 seconds.
It's a switch in planning for sure. Just *always* having something ready to eat -- prepped raw fruit/veg, a piece of bread or a muffin, peanut butter, etc. works for us. I had to make that a constant in my routine because in the early days of no microwave, I would panic that the kids were starving after errands and go through the drive thru -- where I'm sure they use microwaves all the time to reheat the dreadful food!--because I thought they would faint before I could heat something up.

I've gotten better with portion planning [dinner] to avoid leftovers when possible, and bought two tiny cast iron skillets (one is divided into 3 portions so I can heat 3 small leftover portions at once--some people use muffin pans) and an extra one quart pot. You'll do a lot more dishes without a microwave! I will also leave leftovers in the original pan, even if it's a little bit in a big pot, and reheat in the big pot -- just have to clean the pot once that way. I also line sheet pans with foil, top with parchment paper (because I won't cook directly on foil) and that makes for easy clean up.

My no-micro nemesis was quesadillas. DD likes them soft, not crunchy, and it took me weeks to figure out how to do that without a microwave! Easiest way is set the cast iron skillet on the stove top over very low heat, heat 2 min on one side, about 30 seconds on the other side. Success!
jandjmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jandjmommy For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (11-06-2011), Chaos Coordinator (11-06-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #56
Castle On A Cloud
Deactivated

Castle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond repute

We got rid of our microwave about a year ago... I don't miss it I have figured out how to nicely re-heat everything either in our toaster oven, or on the stove top. We make popcorn on the stove. I melt my chocolate on the stove (cause everyone needs melted chocolate to dip their fingers in)
For the first little bit, I was super irritated at how long it took to reheat things, but I am used to it now

---------- Post added at 08:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

Oh yeah, I use pyrex (or other glass) to reheat, with foil on the top so it does not get dry. And for the melting of stuff, I make a little double boiler type thing, by putting a small glass bowl in about 1/2 inch of water in a small pot
Castle On A Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Castle On A Cloud For This Useful Post:
GentleMomof4 (11-06-2011)