Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
greenishmama
Rose Trellis

greenishmama is a jewel in the roughgreenishmama is a jewel in the roughgreenishmama is a jewel in the rough
Default brown spots on teeth in 23 month old

My almost 2 yr old has a brown spot on each lower molar. Took him to hygenist and she only got a good look at one and did not get to poke around at all but thought we should not be overly concerned at this point. No need to see the pediatric dentist (1.5 hrs away). That we should brush extra, no sweets and just keep watching it. oh- and a prescritpion multi-vitamin with flouride in it... if we are not opposed to fluoride.

thoughts?
I know fluoride can be bad- why?

anyone have any other advice?
greenishmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brown spots on teeth in 23 month old

There are a lot of reasons fluoride is bad. We don't use it because DS has high levels of heavy metals and fluoride can make it worse.

DS has had spots which developed into cavities. We had them fixed when he was 3. He is 5.5 and his front teeth have spots and chips and are getting pretty worn out. The dentisit said it;s common i kids this age. We are using a xylitol toothpaste and sprinking a little xylitol on top and I think it's done a great job of preventing them from getting worse.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
greenishmama (05-14-2010)
Old 05-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Ps 13:12 NLT

StumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond repute

You can google "Dr. Ellie" and check into her protocol. Be forewarned, though, that it does involve fluoride. She uses a combination of xylitol and fluoride and all of the items in her protocol can be purchased at your local drugstore. Perhaps you could start with that in order to heal the soft spots, then drop the fluoride
StumblinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StumblinMama For This Useful Post:
greenishmama (05-14-2010)
Old 05-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
greenishmama
Rose Trellis

greenishmama is a jewel in the roughgreenishmama is a jewel in the roughgreenishmama is a jewel in the rough

I had actually been giving him chewable xylitol tablets that are supposed to help with ear infections ("supports healthy bacteria in the ears" or something like that). So I thought "this is great since he won't let us brush his teeth very well- the xylitol should preven cavities" well.... that was NOT the case!
anyone have thoughts on that? do you think the chewables didn't really have xylitol in them?
Old 05-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute

Fluoride is poisonous when swallowed, but does strengthen teeth when applied topically.

My dd had similar spots on her front 2 teeth. The dentist will watch them closely to make sure no cavities developed there. Ironically, my dd developed cavities on the back of those teeth so the dentist quickly polished off the spots while filling the teeth. So it can be taken care of pretty easily from a cosmetic point of view.

‎"Don't they teach recreational maths anymore?"
~The Doctor
tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
greenishmama
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Fluoride is poisonous when swallowed, but does strengthen teeth when applied topically.
but that is only a certain amount right? what about municipal water that has flouride in it?
Old 05-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
cindergretta
Deactivated

My miracle blessing who brings tears to my eyes!

cindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond repute

For our family, we have no issues with topical flouride. I believe it can be a healthy part of dental hygiene. I am vehemently opposed to ingested flouride and don't personally feel like it is beneficial at all while certainly being poisonous.

We have flouride in our water and therefore, we don't use it. We buy bottled water (spring) and are saving for an under-the-sink filtration system. (We are looking at one that filters everything, *including flouride* out of the water.)

Three of my dc have had horrid issues with toddler cavities. Three of my dc have had no issues with toddler cavities. Weird, huh???
cindergretta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cindergretta For This Useful Post:
luvinmama (05-14-2010)
Old 05-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Ps 13:12 NLT

StumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
the xylitol should preven cavities" well.... that was NOT the case!
anyone have thoughts on that? do you think the chewables didn't really have xylitol in them?
With Dr. Ellie's protocol, the fluoride works with the xylitol. She has seen cases of healed cavities. IIRC the xylitol kills the bacteria and the fluoride strengthens the tooth. The interesting thing I learned from her, though, is that the bacteria which causes cavities is passed back and forth between family members. So it is important to disinfect toothbrushes often and for each member of the family to use the xylitol and fluoride. Otherwise, you'll keep passing that bacteria around.
The Following User Says Thank You to StumblinMama For This Useful Post:
luvinmama (05-14-2010)
Old 05-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
luvinmama
Rose Garden

Taking one day at a time...

luvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond repute

I always learn something new when I'm on GCM! So glad I read this post today....we live in Portland, Oregon and don't have fluoridated water, and our Pediatrician is the only doc in our area who doesn't give a RX for fluoride in babies/toddlers. I'm going to look into xylitol...

Married to my best friend '03

Love to and to DH

In case you're wondering...I'm an ENFJ

luvinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Here's a link to Dr. Ellie's blog about remineralizing decayed teeth. Basically, she recommends ACT mouth rinse, Crest toothpaste and Xylitol (I can't remember how many grams a day).
Old 05-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Dr. Ellie's protocol is controversial in the natural living community.

Personally, I don't like and will not touch her protocol. Using anything similar to it damaged my teeth.

Fluoride needs removing from the water supply, but politically, it's a difficult situation.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Quote:
Dr. Ellie's protocol is controversial in the natural living community.
I understand that. Hence the warning in my first post that it does utilize fluoride. I suppose there are two sides to every controversy and plenty of room for disagreement
Old 05-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #13
cbmk4
Rose Garden

INTJ

cbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond repute

Fluoride is a natural occurring element which can be found in well water to varying amounts. When combined with other elements or when given in very large amounts it can be toxic, but so can calcium, potassium and sodium and many other things. More of a good thing is not always better.

So I'm wondering where the information comes from which says that fluoride, in the amounts put in muncipal water or in toothepaste, is a bad thing. Does anybody have a reference for that?
cbmk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #14
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a mainstream article about it: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...eds_doubt.html
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
cindergretta (05-14-2010)
Old 05-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #15
teamommy
Rose Garden

Spring!

teamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not opposed to topical fluoride, either ACT (teensy drop on the toothbrush) or a tiny scrape of a children's fluoride tp like Tom's. The children's will have less fluoride than the adult.

But whatever you use, xylitol or not, fluoride or no, you have to get in there and really brush the teeth, preferable twice per day but at least before bed. It is really important to make sure there is no food, milk, juice, anything on the teeth before they go to sleep (except breastmilk via nursing is okay).

I have had to hold my kids still while I brush their teeth. Two of them dislike it, the other one has never minded, but they all get it done from the time they get the first tooth.
teamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teamommy For This Useful Post:
Rabbit (05-14-2010), StumblinMama (05-15-2010)