Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
ilovewest
Climbing Rose

*Pretend you're reading something really witty here.*

ilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond reputeilovewest has a reputation beyond repute
Default Today's sermon = ICKY ICKY ICKY

The entire thing was about how to discipline your child, just like God disciplines us.....punitively, of course! If we truly love our children we will use words to warn them first, but then if they don't listen, we need to break out the big guns... He told the story of David to illustrate this: He wanted Bathsheba, God let him know that wasn't right in a gentle way. But then he had Uriah essentially murdered and then took her as his wife, so then God was all, 'BOOM! now your baby has to die! Too bad so sad!' because His love for David was so great and God could not bear to let David be so unholy. And then after this, David became the man God wanted Him to be and had 'a heart like His'. And don't we all want children who have hearts like God's? Don't we all want them to be holy? Then we need to remember that God parents us with a 'holy whip' when we fail to hear his plainly spoken instruction to us. If we aren't acting in the same manner with our children, then we are remiss as parents and our children will suffer.

Then the old 'the parent who doesn't (physically) discipline their child hates him/her', 'backed up' by two or three verses which I was too upset to read up on the screen. And then the whole 'Now I'm not going to tell you to spank your child or not spank your child.... but I *do* spank mine .....You do as you see fit' thing. So, in other words, ' GODLY PARENTS HIT THEIR CHILDREN.'

He did encourage the use of 'words' to move our children towards right behavior in the beginning stages, but to not be afraid to administer discipline when our words aren't heeded. And several times he pleaded with us to go look at focusonthefamily.com because they have 'amazing resources!' on spanking and parenting in a Godly way.

It was the laziest, most shallow, inaccurate, and angering sermon I've ever heard. I am so upset.... we just started attending there about a month ago and DS1 is absolutely loving it, and really learning so much in Children's Church there; really good stuff. We are really seeing God work in his little heart and the church has been such a blessing thus far. This was the first time we had heard the Associate Pastor preach this morning; the two other men we've heard preach there a few times have been great. They definitely have NOT pointed to a theology the likes of what we heard this morning. And really, I understand that there are people who think like this in almost every church, and that we're not likely to find a place where everyone parents like we strive to. But to declare this kind of parenting from the pulpit, essentially declaring this as this church's official position on parenting? This just makes me incredibly upset. DH is so disappointed too....we really thought we'd landed at the right place finally.

Is it even worth it to write a letter? To go talk to them? It's a larger church, and we've been there about a month.Thoughts, ladies?

Happy and Tired Mimi to
Noodle 11.08
Bingo 11.11
and Tiny, 2.14

Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in.
-- Leonard Cohen

ENsomething-something....ish
OK, FINE. ENFP/J
ilovewest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say they are praying for ilovewest:
Domina (07-03-2012), dulce de leche (07-01-2012), OnAMission (07-02-2012), ropleymama (07-09-2012), Zooey (07-10-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Leslie_JJKs_mom
Rose Garden

loving my family since 1991

Leslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Today's sermon = ICKY ICKY ICKY

I am sorry, I have heard those sermons too many times. I am so burnt out on church. I am tired of the judgment of others that do not see things their way.

Mommy to our valentine sweetheart, Jessica Lynn, and March Jellybean, Kaitlyn Elizabeth. My heart is overflowing with love for my precious girls.

Wife to my best friend

Homeschooling, sometimes co sleeping mommy to a teenager and sweet little one
Leslie_JJKs_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leslie_JJKs_mom For This Useful Post:
Charity (12-24-2013), ilovewest (07-01-2012), Mokek Kwe (07-10-2012), OperaDivaMom (07-03-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
J3K
Deactivated

Hi ! I'm Myrtle. I like to pretend I'm an R.O.U.S.

J3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't even bother. I'd just leave. When asked (if asked) I'd be honest , "I'm coming from a completely different place spiritually speaking. I'm not comfortable with the punitive sermons."
J3K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to J3K For This Useful Post:
amydawn (07-12-2012), CelticJourney (07-02-2012), CrunchySeaSalt (07-03-2012), ilovewest (07-01-2012), MercyInDisguise (07-01-2012), Mokek Kwe (07-10-2012), Persinette (07-03-2012), rjy9343 (07-03-2012), Sparrow (07-03-2012), Zooey (07-10-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
MaiMama
Rose Garden

MaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sorry you had that experience.

I've been in similar, thought milder, sermons, and I walk out if they start going down that path. Honestly, I have also stopped attending those places. I drive 30 minutes to church, but it's to a place where grace is preached for all. It's worth double the gas money for me to not have to sit through a triggering sermon, or to be part of a body that advocates harming children.

I am sure you'll get wise words from other mamas.
Trinity Rain - The Matrix, 2004
Jackson Atreyu - The Neverending Story, 2006
Bella Adalyn - Twilight, 2009
and introducing:
Lincoln Ambassador - Fringe, 12/16/2012
remembering Aviva Ata '08
MaiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaiMama For This Useful Post:
ilovewest (07-01-2012), SewingGreenMama (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Because you have only been there a month, I would just move on. It's nice to discover this evidence of a very bad fit before you put down significant roots.

In only one month of attending, it's not a good sign that you have already experienced "the laziest, most shallow, inaccurate, and angering sermon" you've ever heard. The topic is secondary--in this case you happen to know something about the subject matter and you recognize the pastor has been shallow and inaccurate. Is it likely that he handles other topics with careful biblical exegesis and appropriate caution when it comes to suggesting personal applications?
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
CJNeeley (07-12-2012), Damselfly (07-03-2012), delightedmama (07-03-2012), DoulaClara (07-01-2012), dulce de leche (07-01-2012), ilovewest (07-01-2012), MaiMama (07-01-2012), MercyInDisguise (07-01-2012), OnAMission (07-02-2012), Persinette (07-03-2012), rjy9343 (07-03-2012), SewingGreenMama (07-01-2012), sherry (07-03-2012), Sparrow (07-03-2012), Virginia (07-02-2012), Wonder Woman (07-01-2012), Zooey (07-10-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be making an appointment with the head pastor and asking about the stance and explaining things from here.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-01-2012), Domina (07-03-2012), ilovewest (07-01-2012), Virginia (07-02-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

I'd leave. And thank God that you found out how bad it was before you were more heavily involved.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MarynMunchkins For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (07-02-2012), CrunchySeaSalt (07-03-2012), greengirl19 (07-03-2012), ilovewest (07-01-2012), L-Boogie (07-01-2012), Persinette (07-03-2012), Sparrow (07-03-2012), Zooey (07-10-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
JoEllen
Banned

"When life gives you lemons, cut them in half and squirt life in the eye!" - Unknown

JoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond repute

Well, realistically, on the one hand, you are right that you aren't going to find a church where every single person exactly lines up with your method of parenting. You say that they have a good program for the kids, and it would be sad if you travel from church to church to find one that matches up with your parenting ideals but may not have a very good program for the kids.

On the other hand, I understand your wanting to protect your child from punitive influences, so it might be worth talking to this morning's speaker on the issue.

At the end of the day, your child is your child and you are free to parent in whatever fashion you think is best.
JoEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoEllen For This Useful Post:
ilovewest (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Because this is the associate pastor and the others are so great--and the rest of the church seems such a potentially good fit, I would try to make an appointment with the Sr. Pastor to discuss this. It's quite possible he didn't even know what the assoc. pastor would be speaking on.

At the very least, you will know if there is potential or not
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (07-02-2012), CelticJourney (07-02-2012), CrunchySeaSalt (07-03-2012), dulce de leche (07-01-2012), ilovewest (07-01-2012), Joyanne (07-01-2012), Katigre (07-09-2012), Lily (07-01-2012), mokamoto (07-11-2012), OnAMission (07-02-2012), Rugayatu (07-11-2012), ruhama (07-02-2012), SewingGreenMama (07-01-2012), Virginia (07-02-2012), Zooey (07-10-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
ruhama
Deactivated

Jumping off the hot tin roof.

ruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
Because this is the associate pastor and the others are so great--and the rest of the church seems such a potentially good fit, I would try to make an appointment with the Sr. Pastor to discuss this. It's quite possible he didn't even know what the assoc. pastor would be speaking on.

At the very least, you will know if there is potential or not
This. And there are always ways of finding out who's preaching that Sunday...
ruhama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ruhama For This Useful Post:
ilovewest (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
Lily
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Lily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond repute

We love our church but regularly skip visiting pastor sermons (once a month our pastor visits a congregation semi near us and their pastor visits us). DH and I decided this after a particularly shaming, punitive sermon.

I would talk to the Sr Pastor, figure out the church's stance. If it works for you, keep attending but avoid assoc pastor's sermons.
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lily For This Useful Post:
ilovewest (07-01-2012), Llee (07-11-2012), ruhama (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #12
crunchytwinmom

it breaks my heart to hear about church's pushing this way of parenting. if that's the way the majority of people do parenting there it would probably be enough to make me leave. speaking to the sr. pastor is a great idea. it's so hard to find the right church for you family but that is one thing i personally would not put up with in a church family.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
ilovewest (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #13
Momys
Rose Blossom

Momys will become famous soon enoughMomys will become famous soon enough

I agree with talking to the senior pastor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momys For This Useful Post:
ilovewest (07-03-2012), Llee (07-11-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
sherry
Rose Blossom

sherry is just really nicesherry is just really nicesherry is just really nicesherry is just really nicesherry is just really nice

It might be worth a letter or meeting to tell the pastor (senior pastor) what things initially drew you to the church and what is now driving you away. And if I were feeling really brave, I'd probably ask if the senior pastor was aware of the sermon content prior to the service. That might help in decision making about staying.
And, this is just a personal opinion, I'm really not sure that David and Bathsheba thing readily relates to parenting styles/choices.
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sherry For This Useful Post:
ilovewest (07-03-2012), Llee (07-03-2012), Zooey (07-10-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #15
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
.... I'm really not sure that David and Bathsheba thing readily relates to parenting styles/choices.
Especially since he got the story wrong

Even if you don't continue at this church, it would be a huge service to them to have his kind of thing challenged AND for them to know that opinons that are preached have an impact on who is or is not willing to stay and take the bad with the good.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
ilovewest (07-03-2012), Starfish (07-03-2012), Virginia (07-14-2012)