Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
GraceFirst
Rosebud

GraceFirst is a glorious beacon of lightGraceFirst is a glorious beacon of lightGraceFirst is a glorious beacon of lightGraceFirst is a glorious beacon of lightGraceFirst is a glorious beacon of lightGraceFirst is a glorious beacon of light
Default Families where grace is in place & SACH

I Just read a blog where the woman says her life has been changed by several parenting books. She named sheparding a child's heart (and welchel's creative correction) AND families where grace is in place.

How can you be changed by both ends of the spectrum? Legalism AND grace? Is it not one or the other? Pondering this.

"Our children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see." - John W. Whitehead

Last edited by GraceFirst; 01-16-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Mispelling
GraceFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
tempestjewel
Climbing Rose

tempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant future
Default Re: Families where grace is in place & SACH

It is so hard to understand how people can "get it" without actually getting it

Families Where Grace Is in Place is not a "how to" book- it's a frame of mind. SACH I've heard here (but haven't personally read) has some great connection stuff before it throws in all the garbage of the connection coming through spanking . So my guess is the person is taking the good from Families Where Grace is in Place and then thinking they are implementing it ala SACH.

Sad, sad, sad
Can'tTurnLeft (01-16-2012), GraceFirst (01-16-2012), Kiera (02-03-2012), Zooey (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
MercyInDisguise
Rose Garden

The only way we'll last forever is broken together

MercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond repute

Ted Tripp is an interesting character, because he really does seem to have a good grasp on grace, IF he could get out of his head that spanking is a biblical command.

He seems to know there's a disconnect too, because on his videos he says repeatedly that he tells his kids he doesn't understand the connection between the heart and the rear end, but God is the one that designed it that way, so who is he to question? Ugh... I really think he would be GBD if he could get that idea out of his head.
Mama to
A 20 months
a little one who will only ever know heaven 8/1/13
MercyInDisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MercyInDisguise For This Useful Post:
forty-two (01-16-2012), GraceFirst (01-16-2012), Katigre (01-17-2012), rjy9343 (01-16-2012), Virginia (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

A good bit of SACH does focus on relationship and the underlying reasons for behavior. Likewise, Creative Correction seems to look for alternative discipline solutions that don't cause as much pain.

However, until someone's mindset is changed into understanding what grace is and how it works, they can only move toward less punitive instead of truly graceful. That's why this is a spiritual journey - it's not about not spanking, but having our minds and lives transformed by the grace of God.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MarynMunchkins For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (01-16-2012), Domina (01-16-2012), dulce de leche (01-16-2012), GraceFirst (01-16-2012), GraemesMomma (01-16-2012), Quiteria (01-17-2012), rjy9343 (01-16-2012), StewardofLOs (01-25-2012), Virginia (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarynMunchkins View Post
A good bit of SACH does focus on relationship and the underlying reasons for behavior. Likewise, Creative Correction seems to look for alternative discipline solutions that don't cause as much pain.

However, until someone's mindset is changed into understanding what grace is and how it works, they can only move toward less punitive instead of truly graceful. That's why this is a spiritual journey - it's not about not spanking, but having our minds and lives transformed by the grace of God.
This.
GraceFirst (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyRN View Post
Ted Tripp is an interesting character, because he really does seem to have a good grasp on grace, IF he could get out of his head that spanking is a biblical command.

He seems to know there's a disconnect too, because on his videos he says repeatedly that he tells his kids he doesn't understand the connection between the heart and the rear end, but God is the one that designed it that way, so who is he to question? Ugh... I really think he would be GBD if he could get that idea out of his head.
That's what I've thought, too.

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
GraceFirst (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard a SACH-follower describe it as grace-based and he described his ways as choosing when to apply grace.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
Domina (01-16-2012), GraceFirst (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

People who spank don't see spanking as grace-less. They actually see it as God's grace to the child that they have parents who love them enough to raise them according to God's standards and design.

Also, like others have said, there really is some good stuff in SACH. If all a Christian has ever seen, been taught, and believed is that spanking is what the Bible commands, then that person will LOVE SACH and will not at all see it in conflict with FWGIIP.

This comes from many conversations with dear Christian friends who spank and love SACH.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
Domina (01-16-2012), GraceFirst (01-16-2012), Katigre (01-17-2012), rjy9343 (01-16-2012), ThreeKids (01-16-2012), Virginia (01-16-2012), Zooey (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
Domina
Rose Garden

Domina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond repute

Also, lots of people can read books with two conflicting approaches and try to find their own path by picking and choosing what works for them. I did that with Dr. Sears The Baby Book and Goodnight, Sleep Tight. Both advocated gentle, responsive nighttime parenting. One was pro-cosleeping and the other was pro-crib. I was able to read them both and create a middle way, a method that got OUR family the most sleep without doing CIO.

I could see doing that with discipline books as well.

Beaming mama to Sumo since 2010.
Addicted to , curry and my Kindle.

Martyrs make lousy lovers and party guests. ~ Michael Flocker
Domina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Domina For This Useful Post:
GraceFirst (01-16-2012), Katigre (01-17-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHutch View Post

Also, like others have said, there really is some good stuff in SACH. If all a Christian has ever seen, been taught, and believed is that spanking is what the Bible commands, then that person will LOVE SACH and will not at all see it in conflict with FWGIIP.
That makes sense. I grew up around the idea that spanking was just how things are. I can see how a book that talks as much about grace as is possible without quite breaking past the spanking barrier would seem to be unquestionably as much of a graceful approach as can exist since you wouldn't even be seeing spanking as a problem.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
GraceFirst (01-16-2012), rjy9343 (01-17-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

For many it's the mommy filter. I can't tell you how many conversations I've had over the years with Ezzo supporters and when you ask them to defend x statement, they claim he never said/wrote that. When you provide page numbers they are often shocked. THAT is one of the reasons when we discuss Ezzo and his crew here in Unprepared, we talk about what they wrote/said, not what anyone did with the information.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
GraceFirst (01-17-2012), MercyInDisguise (01-17-2012), Quiteria (01-17-2012), StewardofLOs (01-25-2012), Zooey (01-19-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #12
FebFaith
Rose Bouquet

FebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of light

This is probably not a good example, but I like many different types of music. Worship: Hillsong, Steven Curtis Chapman, etc. all the way to Dixie Chicks. If you line the music up side by side they may not seem to relate and even be contradicting, but they bring something different to me and I take certain things away from each one and find enjoyment.

I think each is on the journey and the Lord is guiding us and speaking to each of us to lead us closer to Him in all parts of our life. I don't really see these books at opposite ends and polar opposites, just different steps on the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to FebFaith For This Useful Post:
GraceFirst (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #13
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHutch View Post
People who spank don't see spanking as grace-less. They actually see it as God's grace to the child that they have parents who love them enough to raise them according to God's standards and design.
That explains a lot. I have wondered how people can rave about How to Really Love Your Child and Love Languages and still think spanking is a good tool.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
GraceFirst (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #14
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FebFaith View Post
This is probably not a good example, but I like many different types of music. Worship: Hillsong, Steven Curtis Chapman, etc. all the way to Dixie Chicks. If you line the music up side by side they may not seem to relate and even be contradicting, but they bring something different to me and I take certain things away from each one and find enjoyment.

I think each is on the journey and the Lord is guiding us and speaking to each of us to lead us closer to Him in all parts of our life. I don't really see these books at opposite ends and polar opposites, just different steps on the way.
So want to agree with you, but.... can't quite get there... The problem is that on one side you have Whelch and Tripp teaching in the end that your children are the enemy and that you 'must win' and in the battle it is acceptable to not only physical force, but chemical warfare ('hot saucing' is horrific). Yes, they write a lot about 'their heart' being important and all of that, but in the end, when thought become action, the outward expression and appearence become paramount - the 'happy is the only acceptable emotion', even after someone four times your size physically dominates you and purposefully inflicts pain. It means all the words of grace are meaningless if they don't come to fruit in action. I am always shocked at the level of discussion about grace, love and the gospel and then the spiritual twist that comes to negate it all when it comes to children by these authors.

So while they may not be polar opposites, they stand on different banks of a very big divide between punitive parenting and grace based parenting. Are the children the enemy or are they fellow Christians on a journey that I have been blessed to guide them on?

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
Cerulean (01-25-2012), GraceFirst (01-17-2012), Quiteria (01-17-2012), tempestjewel (01-17-2012), tempus vernum (01-17-2012), Zooey (01-19-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #15
FebFaith
Rose Bouquet

FebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of lightFebFaith is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
So want to agree with you, but.... can't quite get there... The problem is that on one side you have Whelch and Tripp teaching in the end that your children are the enemy and that you 'must win' and in the battle it is acceptable to not only physical force, but chemical warfare ('hot saucing' is horrific). Yes, they write a lot about 'their heart' being important and all of that, but in the end, when thought become action, the outward expression and appearence become paramount - the 'happy is the only acceptable emotion', even after someone four times your size physically dominates you and purposefully inflicts pain. It means all the words of grace are meaningless if they don't come to fruit in action. I am always shocked at the level of discussion about grace, love and the gospel and then the spiritual twist that comes to negate it all when it comes to children by these authors.

So while they may not be polar opposites, they stand on different banks of a very big divide between punitive parenting and grace based parenting. Are the children the enemy or are they fellow Christians on a journey that I have been blessed to guide them on?
Well, we don't have to agree, do we? Thanks for your opinion. I'm still on a journey also.