Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #16
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strong-Willed Children Vs. Gentle Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingHappy View Post
I'm the adult, it is up to me to maintain the atmosphere of our house. If I lose it, he will lose it brilliantly.
I needed to hear this today
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
mokamoto (01-23-2011), NewCovenantMama (01-17-2011)
Old 01-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #17
Joanne
Deactivated

Joanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond repute

When you believe that spanking (or, more broadly, unrelated punishment) is not appropriate parenting, punishment is not part of the toolbox. If you believe that you shouldn't spank, it doesn't matter what personality children in your care have.

I managed 2 daycares and 3 of my own children without spanking as a discipline option. I didn't have to revisit my decision because 1 of my 3 kids was "strong willed" or any of my daycare population was "strong willed".

I run a tight ship, with high expectations. Indeed, some posters here would find my rules and expectations to be too much. And I did/do it without spanking or arbitrary, unrelated punishment.
Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Joanne For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (01-14-2011), dulce de leche (01-14-2011), klpmommy (01-14-2011), Maggirayne (01-15-2011), momyshaver (01-15-2011), NewCovenantMama (01-17-2011), newday (01-15-2011), Quiteria (01-14-2011), TraceMama (02-24-2011), Zooey (01-15-2011)
Old 01-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #18
nanookmama
Rose Trellis

It's gonna be a great day.

nanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond reputenanookmama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootBetsy View Post
I was (am) very strong-willed and do you know what spanking taught me? To not get caught. To act contrite in the present and plan better next time. To lie through omission instead of an outright lie because lying through omission is much more difficult for a parent to catch. Oh, and spanking really awakened fury in my heart. I wasn't really contrite after being spanked even though I could pretend to be fairly decently... I was angry - seething with rage - after being spanked.

I'm one of those who would do the opposite of what I was told just because someone told me to do it. I'm still that way to a degree, even though I consciously try not to react like that and usually succeed in resisting that urge now.

Yeah... and my mom's will was NO match for my will which made the teen years particularly rough for us. My dad was constantly mediating between the two of us (he's strong-willed too) and I had pretty much zero respect for my mom at all. We're on very good terms now, but back then... nope
Same for me. Except both of my parents were sure they could 'out stubborn' me. They were both wrong. I remember, as a child, realizing that spanking would only work until I was bigger than them or until their back problems made them vulnerable . And that punishment would only work as long as they had something I wanted. So as soon as I could get a job, they wouldn't have any way of punishing me. Apparently, as a three year old, I responded to spankings with 'That didn't hurt and I WON'T cry.' and time outs with 'I wanted time by myself anyway.' My mother got really frustrated one day (I couldn't have been older than 5) and took EVERYTHING out of my room. She took the pictures off the walls, the sheets off the bed, everything. I had a dresser (empty) and a bed. (I think I was refusing to clean up the room so this was a related punishment) I told her (and I remember this) that I had better things to play with at day care and school anyway and that I was tired of looking at the things in my room, and now that all that stuff was gone, I could get back to doing what I had wanted to do, which was practice my ABC's.

I see these traits in my daughter. I KNOW what's coming for me. I KNOW that parenting punitively will be a miserable disaster. I am trying my best, right now, to build the habits, the mental scripts, and tools to work with her and not against her. I don't want to know/care who is more stubborn. I don't want to know/care who can crush who. I just want us to get done what needs to get done. I want to teach her how to use that will to change the world, to act brilliantly, to be the BEST because I know that a drive that strong would not have been created by my God without a plan to match it. If she's been given this gift, she needs to find out why, and she needs to apply it appropriately. As her mother, I am responsible for teaching her what I can to do that.

At least, that's my theory. I'll let you know how it works out.

Resurrecting MamaPsalmist
Press Pause Photography
nanookmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to nanookmama For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (01-15-2011), BarefootBetsy (01-14-2011), dulce de leche (01-14-2011), KSL (01-16-2011), Maggirayne (01-15-2011), mokamoto (01-23-2011), Peridot (02-17-2011), PlateauMama (01-15-2011), Pragmatist (01-14-2011), Tasmanian Saint (01-22-2011), Zooey (01-15-2011)
Old 01-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #19
Jeanette598
Rose Trellis

Jeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to beholdJeanette598 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanookmama View Post
I want to teach her how to use that will to change the world, to act brilliantly, to be the BEST because I know that a drive that strong would not have been created by my God without a plan to match it. If she's been given this gift, she needs to find out why, and she needs to apply it appropriately. As her mother, I am responsible for teaching her what I can to do that.
Awesome. Thank you for this! I needed to read it today in relation to my 7-year-old dd1.
M, our much-loved dd #1, born 8/03 (C-section)
B, our long-awaited dd #2, born 11/28/08 (natural VBAC)
Jeanette598 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeanette598 For This Useful Post:
Tasmanian Saint (01-22-2011)
Old 01-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #20
mystweaver
Rose Trellis

mystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanookmama View Post
Same for me. Except both of my parents were sure they could 'out stubborn' me. They were both wrong. I remember, as a child, realizing that spanking would only work until I was bigger than them or until their back problems made them vulnerable . And that punishment would only work as long as they had something I wanted. So as soon as I could get a job, they wouldn't have any way of punishing me. Apparently, as a three year old, I responded to spankings with 'That didn't hurt and I WON'T cry.' and time outs with 'I wanted time by myself anyway.' My mother got really frustrated one day (I couldn't have been older than 5) and took EVERYTHING out of my room. She took the pictures off the walls, the sheets off the bed, everything. I had a dresser (empty) and a bed. (I think I was refusing to clean up the room so this was a related punishment) I told her (and I remember this) that I had better things to play with at day care and school anyway and that I was tired of looking at the things in my room, and now that all that stuff was gone, I could get back to doing what I had wanted to do, which was practice my ABC's.
Are you my missing twin?

My parents also tried the empty room (bare mattress, no door, etc.) tactic--I remember Dr. Laura mentioning it, so maybe it's a common punitive practice?

This thread has been really helpful--just last night I was mentioning to my husband that we'll probably end up with a spirited/strong-willed ADHD child (it runs on both sides, and we're both strong-willed). He just glanced at me and said (sarcastically) "Imagine how hard that will be if you don't believe in spanking." At least I'm not crazy, and eventually he'll come around...?
mystweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #21
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

my dh hasn't completely removed spanking from his toolbox-- however, he knows that my non-spanking methods work far better than spanking. He has seen it in action. I did take over all discipline for a long time-- which was hard, but worth it.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #22
HindsFeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingHappy View Post
The only thing that spanking accomplished was to turn him violent.
This. This was exactly what I found with ds2, who is my I'm-all-out-of-ideas child. It only escalated our problems.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:28 AM   #23
breezy88
Climbing Rose

breezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant future

I do not even like the phrase "Strong-willed Child" because really it mostly has a negative connotation.

Besides....don't we all have strong wills. Some children may choose more desirable behaviours but that doesn't mean they are strong or weak willed.

I remember as a child being very hurt because my parents had the book "The strong willed child" by Dobson.
I knew they had it "because of me" and it really hurt me that they needed a special book to learn how to "deal with me".

Now I am not against everything from Mr. Dobson (for example... there is a lot of good info on focus on the family website) but i am against nearly all of his advice on disciplining children.

Mommy to 4 little girls
Remembering 3 babes in heaven.

breezy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to breezy88 For This Useful Post:
newday (01-15-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 01:35 AM   #24
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

The number one thing I learned about my independence and competence as a parent, is to never discuss it with my parents. Anything they need to know, they can learn by watching, over the long term.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
breezy88 (01-15-2011), klpmommy (01-15-2011), Maggirayne (01-15-2011), mokamoto (01-23-2011), momyshaver (01-15-2011), TraceMama (02-24-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #25
NewCovenantMama
Climbing Rose

NewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
The number one thing I learned about my independence and competence as a parent, is to never discuss it with my parents. Anything they need to know, they can learn by watching, over the long term.
That is so sad .
NewCovenantMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #26
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

I am not my mother's daughter, playing with my baby dolls. I am an adult, in authority over my children, and I am raising them according my beliefs and values, out of my own integrity. To stand alone and apart as an adult sometimes mean not delving into the relationship that puts me into the role of obedient child. I also never defend my parenting to others. Discuss parenting, yes. Share information or perspective, yes. Present myself, expose my inner being, in order to gain acceptance, approval or validation, however subtly? Never!

If being an adult in front of someone leaves me feeling vaguely or uncomfortably like a 16 year old caught with the car keys, forget it. That's not a relationship safe enough for conversation.

Last edited by Rabbit; 01-15-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (01-15-2011), justbreathe (02-16-2011), L-Boogie (01-15-2011), Maggirayne (01-15-2011), mokamoto (01-23-2011), momyshaver (01-15-2011), nanookmama (01-16-2011), Peridot (02-17-2011), Pragmatist (01-15-2011), TraceMama (02-24-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #27
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

I'm strong willed and so is dd1 and I started out spanking her when she was 18 months. I got a very angry baby and turned into a very mean mommy. It was not pretty. We had quite a few scenarios of her doing something (say pushing buttons on the tv for example) and she would do it, I would spank, she would turn around and do it again, I would spank, over and over and over. Every time I got more angry and would hit harder and she would get more hurt, cry more and be more determined than ever. The only way for me to "win" was going to be to be a bigger bully and break her down. When I realized that, I started looking for other options.

She's still strong willed, but now it is something I love to see in her. I foster it and encourage it and it will serve her well as she gets older. She is also sweet, cooperative and helpful, because now we have a good relationship. We are on the same side, not adversaries, so her strong willed nature is not something I need to fight against.

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to saturnfire16 For This Useful Post:
Llee (01-16-2011), Maggirayne (01-15-2011), mystweaver (01-24-2011), Peridot (01-19-2011), Pragmatist (01-15-2011), Quiteria (01-15-2011), rjy9343 (01-16-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #28
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Well said, Emily. You could get a great blog post out of that kernel.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
saturnfire16 (01-15-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #29
momyshaver
Rose Trellis

Grace is for mamas too!

momyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpmommy View Post
my dh hasn't completely removed spanking from his toolbox-- however, he knows that my non-spanking methods work far better than spanking. He has seen it in action. I did take over all discipline for a long time-- which was hard, but worth it.
maybe this is a spin off thread but how does that work if one is non spanking and the other parent is still punitive? It is causing a lot of frustrating times in my home lately with my strong willed preteen and dh I feel like I am constantly mediating between them and no one is happy
momyshaver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for momyshaver:
Quiteria (01-15-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #30
newday
Deactivated

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting thing is how much more sensitive my girls have become since we have started GBD about three years ago, before which we were punitively minded. (They are 9.75 and 8.5 years old right now)
Both girls, at this point in time, will tell us that a tone in our voices or a look on our faces really hurt their feelings. Sometimes they will break down in tears over a seeming "rebuke" which really, compared to the way we used to talk to them, is really mild... It is just that now they are more sensitive to their own place in our home and their value as humans. They actually believe they have the right to speak up when their feelings are hurt and they are fairly confident (only fairly because my dh and I aren't great at GBD, we are still in recovery ) that we won't squash them if they try to voice their discontent, hurt, or disagreement.

I feel it is such a blessing that we found GBD while my girls were young enough yet to recover that sense of "self" which was being minimized by our punitive practices and mindset.
newday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to newday For This Useful Post:
Can Dance (01-16-2011), KSL (01-16-2011), momyshaver (01-15-2011), NewCovenantMama (01-17-2011), Peridot (02-17-2011), Pragmatist (01-15-2011), Quiteria (01-15-2011), Tasmanian Saint (01-22-2011), TraceMama (02-24-2011)