Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why are Pearl supporters so hostile?

I have only participated in a few FB conversations about the Schatz case, but wow, people get so defensive and even offensive about it. Let's see, I have been called hateful, told I need to to read my Bible more, accused of slander, etc, etc. You would think I spoke ill of God himself or something. I'm just curious because if you criticize one of my favorite authors, I would probably disagree wholeheartedly, but I wouldn't attack you personally. Have others found this to be their experience as well?

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Dana Joy
Deactivated

AKA "Mommy Piadosa" or on FB "PunkHippyMommy"

Dana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Pearl supporters so hostile?

Isn't that one of the sociological signs of a cult, that followers rabidly defend their leader?
Dana Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dana Joy For This Useful Post:
brandi (02-24-2010), CapeTownMommy (02-23-2010), Joanne (02-24-2010), PurpleButterfly (02-24-2010)
The Following User Says they are praying for Dana Joy:
Radosny Matka (02-28-2010)
Old 02-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
relizabeth
Deactivated

Proverbs are proverbial.

relizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond repute

I think the stakes are just so much higher for them. If they admit Pearl is wrong, they may not be able to face the consequences. They might realize they've been hitting their children in vain.
relizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to relizabeth For This Useful Post:
brandi (02-24-2010), CrunchySeaSalt (02-24-2010), DaltonsMomma (02-24-2010), klpmommy (02-24-2010), Lantern Light Mama (02-23-2010), mom2boys (02-25-2010), momyshaver (02-23-2010), Rabbit (02-24-2010), Reva (02-25-2010), SortaCrunchy (02-24-2010), sweetpeasmommy (02-23-2010), WI Mama05 (02-23-2010)
Old 02-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
Patrysha
Rose Trellis

Patrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond reputePatrysha has a reputation beyond repute

They've been essentially brainwashed into believing their way (his way) is the right way and only way and that they must protect themselves from the world and defend the attacks of the Godless heretics...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Patrysha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Patrysha For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (02-24-2010), NewLeaf (02-24-2010), relizabeth (02-24-2010)
Old 02-23-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
SortaCrunchy
Climbing Rose

SortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by relizabeth View Post
I think the stakes are just so much higher for them. If they admit Pearl is wrong, they may not be able to face the consequences. They might realize they've been hitting their children in vain.
This. Totally. If I had bought into the teachings to the point of "switching" my four month old, I would be FULLY invested in the teachings. I could not go to a place in my mind that allowed me to think that I was wrong in doing so, or that I had believed incorrect teachings about it. Just couldn't go there.

I can't imagine how painful it must be to walk away from such teaching and the actions that teaching inspires/requires. It would be too devastating.

(Clarifying - I haven't switched one of my babies! I am saying *if* I had. Trying to view the discussion from their point of view. Just wanted to make sure I was clear on that.)

Homemaking freelance writer & author passionate about gentle mothering, natural living, social justice and great coffee. Married to my college sweetheart and the SortaCrunchy mama to my big girls (8 and 5) and brand new (2/7/13) twin boys.

Co-author of Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year

SortaCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
NewLeaf
Deactivated
I support GCM!

NewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond repute

I think they believe they ARE defending God. It's not unlike some family friends I know, some who will flip out if you don't hate homosexuals and Muslims and anyone who doesn't follow the Word as they see it.
NewLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #8
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute

Were all those conversations on my facebook page?

My mom is the one who made the slander comment, and the hateful one too, and she was not adressing you..

But I totally understand what you are saying.. Those threads have caused a several day.. (Maybe a week now) diologe with my mom.. I have been explaining his theology to her, and asking why people defend him sooo passionatly.. Other teachers that are heretical are not defended so fiercly.. And I am not sure why. The funny thing, is that when I read her portions of his book, and the website, she sees all of the bad theology.. But, she says she just spits out the bones.

Aparently when we were growing up, MP is the one who encouraged her to act without anger, and she sees that as very valuable advice.. (Which it is) So she thinks that he has good insights, even if he goes a little off the deep end on some things.

I guess I dont understand that reasoning. Yes, there are random statements of MP's that I agree with. But I do not agree with why he is saying it.. So, I really don't agree at all. He says you should have well diciplined and loving children.. I agree.. BUT his reason is a control issue.. Or to somehow make them more saveable.. Mine is because I simply want the best for my kids.. So while I might agree with a statement on paper, I do not agree with the philosophy behind the statement..

Wow.. Does that even make sense?

Just for the record, my mom felt that some of the comments atacked him as a person, and not just his teachings.. Which is where the slander thing came from..

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
TenderLovingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TenderLovingWillow For This Useful Post:
Mokek Kwe (02-25-2010), NewLeaf (02-24-2010)
The Following User Says they are praying for TenderLovingWillow:
Mokek Kwe (02-25-2010)
Old 02-24-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
relizabeth
Deactivated

Proverbs are proverbial.

relizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond repute

I thought of this in terms of the parable of the prodigal son today.

His older brother gets angry because his father welcomes his wayward brother home with open arms and a huge party. Since I have been, and still am like, the older brother in so many ways--always striving through my efforts to do the right thing and please God--I know how grace freely given seems to insult to my striving.

I think the Pearls' teachings make parents responsible for their children's righteousness (and their own), which necessitates striving and legalism. It is threatening and insulting to hear that other Christians don't agree that all that effort is needed either for living out our faith or raising our children.
relizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to relizabeth For This Useful Post:
NewLeaf (02-24-2010), SortaCrunchy (02-24-2010)
Old 02-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

(((Jennie))) I should have chosen some different examples. I didn't feel like your mom's statements were directed at me. That kind of reaction just seems typical of his supporters. On another FB discussion, speaking against MP was called an "attack against godliness".

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997

Old 02-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #11
Elora
Deactivated

Elora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond repute

i think it stands to reason that hostile ppl would be attracted to and more likely to implement pearl
Elora is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elora For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (02-24-2010), Lantern Light Mama (02-25-2010), Rabbit (02-24-2010)
Old 02-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

Hear me as gently and cautiously as I mean this.

Could the hostility, anger, aggressiveness, defensiveness and offensiveness be the result of the hold the Evil One has in this "ministry"?
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Mokek Kwe (02-25-2010), NewLeaf (02-24-2010), Reva (02-25-2010)
Old 02-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #13
Two Little Birds
Deactivated

"Knitting is Mama's job"

Location: Where the wind blows, the snow flies and mere mortals can't breathe
Two Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulySheMustFly View Post
Hear me as gently and cautiously as I mean this.

Could the hostility, anger, aggressiveness, defensiveness and offensiveness be the result of the hold the Evil One has in this "ministry"?
Two Little Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #14
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elora View Post
i think it stands to reason that hostile ppl would be attracted to and more likely to implement pearl
Some of those who defend him don't even implement his practices, but like Jennie said are content to take what few good things he says and ignore that bad. This blog review of CTBHHM states it well.
Quote:
Is it enough to say, "I got what "good" I needed and move on" -- leaving others to figure out the "bad" in potentially dangerous situations?

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997

Old 02-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I wonder why people fight so hard for the riht to hit their children. Um seriously.

And wow, Mrs.Chris, that was the MILDEST discussion I have seen on FB about spanking, etc. No one was being hateful.
Grace is not a destination, it's a journey.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote