Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Hobbies and Crafts *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Hobbies and Crafts *Public* The place to talk about crafts, sewing, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.
A public forum.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute
Default what set of needles to knit magic loop?

ok, I want to knit magic loop, but the cheap set of circular needles I have, the longest cable is about 22 inches. So, I want to buy a good set of circular needles. What do you recommend?
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
JoyfulMom
Rose Bouquet

JoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really nice
Default Re: what set of needles to knit magic loop?

It depends on what you're knitting. I like knit picks nickel plated for anything above a three. For socks, I use chiagoo lace 32" circs. Hope that helps.
Breanna~18
Madison~16
Christopher~12
Emma Grace~10
Jenna Kate~7
JoyfulMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoyfulMom For This Useful Post:
believer (10-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't have to be top of the line, you just want a flexible cable that is long. I have the knit picks interchangeable needle set and have easily knit smaller circumference things using magic loop with the 32" cable.
believer (10-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

For smaller items (a hat, baby socks, etc) I use these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/13Set-Durabl...item54070e303f

For socks done 2-at-a-time, I'm all about ChiaoGoo Lace, 40".

I don't know if the stainless steel is nickel-free in those, but I have a...not really an allergy, but a weird reaction to nickel. My skin eats it So all the lovely, lovely nickel-plated needles I had (I used to have almost every size Addi Turbo, a KP interchangeable set, KP fixed) ended up being sold or traded.

It was either that, or deal with the nickel coating constantly rubbing off! I'm fine with the stainless steel ones
Wonder Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wonder Woman For This Useful Post:
believer (10-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

Hands down my favorite cables for magic loop are knit picks.

I tried the ones that Reb linked, but I had issues with ladders with them. I still use them.

I tend to use short cables to magic loop, and might only have one area that is pulled out the magic loop (that is actually the way that makes the most sense to my mil).
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mipennsn For This Useful Post:
believer (10-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

Autum - I definitely have problems with ladders on larger projects - if there isn't room for a good loop on both sides, I have to switch to 40" to avoid them
Wonder Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wonder Woman For This Useful Post:
allisonintx (10-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

ChiaGoo. They're hands down the best needles I've ever used. I was a knit-picks girl, before, but the ChiaGoo are faster and nicer. Oh wait, do I remember that you like needles with a little more "grab" so that the yarn doesn't slip as easily? If that's the case, the little yarn store over at Coit and Arapaho has the Knitpicks wooden interchangables right in the store! They are the best wooden interchangables, imo. It's yarn crawl week in Dallas so they might even be having a sale!

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

In absence of a 40" cable, I go to Two Circs, instead.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
believer (10-06-2014), JoyfulMom (10-06-2014), Wonder Woman (10-07-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the chiagoo look way to expensive for me. I will try to go to that yarn store on Wed. - I only work a half day so I should be able to get there in the afternoon. What is yarn crawl week?
I don't really know if I can do socks and things with tiny needles - it feels like knitting with toothpicks to me, but I do want to do hats and fingerless gloves - maybe even actual gloves if I can handle that.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

I am getting two cheap sets from e-bay - they are well within my price range, and I may go to the yarn store just to look if I have a chance.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to believer For This Useful Post:
Wonder Woman (10-07-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute

It really does depend on what you're knitting as to what size needles you need. With worsted weight yarn (which tends to be what I knit most hats and mittens with, though you certainly can knit them with any size yarn) you'll most likely need 7-9 needles (us size), of course whatever to get correct gauge with the pattern you are working with.

If you can save up and afford a set of interchangeable needles, they really are economical in the long run. My knit picks set was around $50 (I have the nickel plated), and has sizes 4-11 (including 10.5) and 2 each of 24" and 32" cables. I can buy other cables and such to go with them too (longer or shorter). And you can knit flat on circulars too.

Smaller needles do take a bit to get used to, but it's not bad once you try it.

Last edited by DahliaRW; 10-07-2014 at 09:19 AM.
DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #10
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

I am really happy with my knitpicks.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

I really like my worsted weight socks. My boots are almost 2 sizes too big in the winter because I often double my socks. But, this year I think I will just do worsted socks. They knit up much faster. Apparently, Scandinavian knitters often wear bigger boots and knit worsted socks for winter.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

They are famous for their stranded colorwork socks, which are also very thick.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote