Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #16
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ideas for the unmotivated child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
If this matches your son's needs, then my favorite oral curriculum for younger elementary kids (especially boys) is First Language Lessons by Jesse Wise. It had been a favorite with each of my kids. Each lesson is short and can be done without any writing on the student's part. Usually Volume 1 is done K/1st grade and Volume 2 1st/2nd grade age.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Here's the curriculum link - they have PDF options if shipping is an issue for you. I usually did it with the child sitting in my lap on the couch. It was a great bonding time for them.

https://welltrainedmind.com/p/first-...ssons-level-1/
Wiggle worm loves joining in on FLL with early bird, we are finishing up level 2 this week.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
mamacat (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #17
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Also highly agree tho at age 7 it may be a readiness thing.My dd was not ready for anything academic beyond being read to until into her 7th year

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #18
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

We also like FFL here. My kids really remember the poems too.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Katigre (06-13-2018), mamacat (06-13-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 11:30 PM   #19
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

First off, remove the name of my country and replace it with Asia. It was a very helpful clarification though.

Second, I noticed a few years ago that he meets many milestones a year or so after they appear on the milestone charts. I wondered if this could be a delay or if it is still within the range of normal. I can't tell anymore. My oldest is profoundly gifted so whenever I think DS2 is behind I assume I am just expecting too much. But maybe there is more going on. There's no where that I know of where I can get help or a diagnosis anyway.

What we do have access to:
-Library app with my USA card
-playground
-city park
-lots of handed down kids books (classic picture books, Magic School Bus, Sonlight novels, science experiment books, history books)
-musical instruments
-art supplies (all the basics including beads, pipe cleaners, popsicle sticks, different kids of paint, Plasticine clay)
-toys (legos, play food, cars, blocks, Squigz, hats for dress up, etc)
-board games and card games
-the internet (most of the time)
-iPad

If nothing unexpected happens our day looks like this:
-breakfast
-morning chore time
-homeschool (I have a blank journal where I write down what they do. I mark off six lines and the kids need to pick at least five activities to fill the lines up. DS2 always picks legos, storytime, one approved app or computer game and then tries to pester me for more screen time. If he can't decide on something to do on his own I then offer him something fine motor to do and pull out our 2 workbooks and let him chose which he'd prefer. During the cool season they'll play outside. Our language helper also comes during this time so the sixth item is always Hindi class. For DS2 this is just playing games and pointing to pictures in the iSpy book.)
-mid-morning tea/snack break
-homeschool continued
-Lunch
-Quiet activities or out running errands.
-Afternoon tea
-Freetime or out running errands
-Outside play once it cools down
-Dinner
-Family worship time
-evening chores
-Bed

But that's if things are normal. Often we are traveling (this may mean swimming, or nature walks, or ancient monuments, or trapped inside a hotel watching TV and playing Uno). There always seems to be something breaking so there are handymen to watch (this counts as homeschool ) People come to visit and we go visit people (sometimes this also counts as homeschool: language practice, maybe Bible study, maybe music time).

And the world is ending. Super mommy off to save the day!

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arelyn For This Useful Post:
Katigre (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 05:23 AM   #20
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

I apologize, I didn't realize that your country location was sensitive. I edited my original post to say Asia, but it's also quoted later in the thread.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:33 AM   #21
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

If at this point he is consistently ovoiding fine moter skills I would look at ways to try to work on that. Pop beads, really soft clay or dough that hecan hind and find little stones in, picking things up with tweezers or chopsticks. Some where there mostlikly is a occupational therapist that would chatt with you to sort things out and give you ideas.

Not doing fine moter activities well, I would consider perfectly developmentally normal. Having a huge reactions to being asked to do it would point me to something more going on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
arelyn (06-15-2018), Katigre (06-13-2018), mamacat (06-13-2018), Quiteria (06-17-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 06:36 AM   #22
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

What you have access to is plenty. What he is ready for is perfectly normal tho as mentioned some of those things can point to the writing difficulty but just a learning style to work with. I might set up your list with categories that loosely cover different subjects and skills and let him choose one from each to make up the five. Math can look like playing a board game if it nvolves throwing dice and counting the spots and spaces moved. Or reading a story that teaches a math concept or identifying and counting money. He is doing great nd it sounds like if you can go with what he is ready for you will begin to enjoy HIS uique learning journey as much as your older sons. I can relate because My next youngest homeschooled son was an early to start reader and like an academic sponge at age 5 & 6. With my homeschooled daughter that age looked like dance and art and board games and being read to. She did not read at all . She is now a young adult and her fav author is Jane Austen!

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Can you print things out? I can appreciate wanting to cut back on screen time but if he is a techy wired sort of guy and he learns that way ? You might consider adding a bonus learning game time if he if he does the other categoris on the list w/o grumbles. Can you print out things? If so look for worksheets about Legos and instead of calling them math worksheet call it a Lego worksheet. There is a whole Lego curriculum ! My dd that was later to start academics turned out to be a very practical sort of learner. If she could relate to it or apply it to her life she did much better. So she loved all of the word math types of problems a lot of kids dislike intensely. If Michael had 5 balloons and gave two to Mary how many did he keep? He can do math problems using toys or fruit. I would also add tracing worksheets or tracing in a salt tray. If you scroll down to the 3rd page there are ideas there https://www.foundationyears.org.uk/w...andwriting.pdf

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

https://www.google.com/search?q=Lego...JmZvBIEUWp3SM:

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
arelyn (06-15-2018), Quiteria (06-17-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 07:49 AM   #23
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
I apologize, I didn't realize that your country location was sensitive. I edited my original post to say Asia, but it's also quoted later in the thread.
Thank you and don’t worry. It’s not the end of the world. I’m probably overprotective of our identities but safer than sorry.

Thanks everyone for many great ideas. Clay with “jewels” hidden in it might just work at getting him to do something fine motor with no fuss. We’ll just call it playing archaeologists and that will get him excited.

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to arelyn For This Useful Post:
Katigre (06-15-2018), knitlove (06-15-2018), mamacat (06-15-2018), mommylove (06-15-2018), Quiteria (06-17-2018)