Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
2TMama
Rose Garden

Flawed & Forgiven. Rescued, Redeemed & Restored. Image Bearer, Grace Embracer, Joy Seeker & Hope Stirrer.

2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have you ever downsized your fridge size?

How did you make it work for you....

Especially if your family size stayed the same

PLEASE TELL ME it was easy, painless, and really didn’t require going to the store a lot more

Our new house has appliances, but the fridge (not sure of size of either *exactly*, but i know our current fridge is bigger ) is smaller than ours. We did plan to replace them at some point; however, the spot in the cabinety for the fridge wouldn’t accommodate a bigger one...so, it isn’t as simple as just replacing it.

2TMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: Have you ever downsized your fridge size?

Never downsized but never upsized. The current house we have was built in the 60s and the fridge opening drastically limits the fridge size that will fit. Basically only the basic older style models. I dream of a big fancy fridge but it's been fine without. Honestly you will just acclimate to what you have and the change may be noticeable at first but pretty soon you'll not even notice anymore.

We have a family of 6.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
2TMama (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #3
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Moved to Europe once and our fridge sized drastically reduced. I was a teen but didn’t think it was a big deal. It was a teeny fridge we had.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
2TMama (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 05:08 PM   #4
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have you ever downsized your fridge size?

Yes, we accidentally bought a smaller one from the used appliance guy. He mentioned it was smaller but I didn’t think it was a big deal and our previous one had croaked in the middle of summer so it was urgent. I really, really hate it and want to replace it. There are only 3 of us so I can make it work but everything tends to get shoved to the back and finding anything requires a full excavation of the fridge. Save yourself lol.

Depending on family size, maybe buy a used fridge for the garage. I know a lot of people do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
2TMama (05-06-2018), Llee (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 05:26 PM   #5
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

We did many years ago. It is only inconvenient the first two days after I grocery shop. Then it’s fine. We do have a smaller beverage fridge so that opens up a good bit of space. More inconvenient is the small freezer.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
2TMama (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

We had to downsize two years ago. We had two refrigerators in a row that died and it looked like there wasn't quite enough clearance for the air to circulate properly around the unit. Our new fridge is smaller and seems to be doing better.

We're a family of 6 and shop once a week. With the new fridge we have to make a smaller run for milk in the middle of the week that we didn't before, but for the most part it's worked out. We do have a large deep freezer in the garage.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
2TMama (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #7
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't done it but, if I had to, I would buy a unit that had the smallest possible freezer and the largest possible refrigerator compartment and get a chest freezer for the garage.

Sometimes a new freezer/fridge pays for itself in saved energy costs compared to a used one, so consider that before buying used.

We have two fridges and two chest freezers. The chest freezers are in the garage and I use them all the time. I could easily live with nothing but ice in my kitchen freezer.

The extra fridge is in an upstairs kitchen (MIL suite) and I learned not to put anything in that fridge. It's out of sight, out of mind and things tend to go bad. If I buy watermelons and put them up there, I absolutely have to leave myself a note otherwise I find them a month later.

Last edited by Soliloquy; 05-06-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
2TMama (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #8
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

No but I will say, how is the freezer, we have a side by side freezer fridge. I grew up with this so didn't really think twice in getting one.However we REALLY should have thought the size out better. The freezer side is soo annoyingly narrow NOTHING fits. Things get stacked in the most annoying way and everything falls out all the time. We had a smaller apartment sized fridge with the freezer on top in our apartment and had better space than what we have now.
I cant justify the cost of another unit right now but when it goes were going for something with better freezer space.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I haven't done it but, if I had to, I would buy a unit that had the smallest possible freezer and the largest possible refrigerator compartment and get a chest freezer for the garage.

Sometimes a new freezer/fridge pays for itself in saved energy costs compared to a used one, so consider that before buying used.

We have two fridges and two chest freezers. The chest freezers are in the garage and I use them all the time. I could easily live with nothing but ice in my kitchen freezer.

The extra fridge is in an upstairs kitchen (MIL suite) and I learned not to put anything in that fridge. It's out of sight, out of mind and things tend to go bad. If I buy watermelons and put them up there, I absolutely have to leave myself a note otherwise I find them a month later.
Ive thought about getting an extra freezer for the garage I just worry about the energy it will need to pull being in the garage during our summers Which are really May-October..
2TMama (05-09-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 05:23 AM   #9
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I 2nd the idea of a fridge/freezer for the garage!

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
2TMama (05-09-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #10
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
I 2nd the idea of a fridge/freezer for the garage!
I couldn't survive without it. It makes a huge difference. Our current fridge is a freezer on the bottom model - it's a essentially a drawer that pulls out with a shelf on top of that. We try to just keep the things we are using for that week in the kitchen freezer so that it doesn't get overloaded.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
2TMama (05-09-2018)