Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #1
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

thankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud of
Default Guinea pig euthanasia?

We have a guinea pig who is almost 8 years old We got him and his brother at 10 weeks old. His brother we had to have pts a few years ago due to a fast growing cancer. Our remaining old fella has been declining for several months now. I've been syringe feeding him critical care 2 to 3 times a day for that time. He's still eating hay and some pellets but his weight was just dropping so much he needed the supplement. The exotic pet vet we see said that he may have something going on with a tooth or root but without putting him under and checking him out we can't know...and even if he did, we can't really afford that anyway...he isn't in good enough health to do it anyway if we could. She said it would be too hard on him. He's on a daily pain medicine that up til now I've felt had helped keep him somewhat normal. His weight has dropped significantly, he's not walking well and he seems to have a lot of pain in his feet. He's gotten weaker and today fell over on his side trying to jerk the syringe out of my hand. (he likes the pain med lol) He seems to still live for his greens and scarfs those down fast. He sits and drinks in front of his water bottle most of the day.

I'm leaning towards calling in the morning to see if I can bring him to be pts. I keep thinking "but wouldn't it be better for him to go in his own little cuddle cup in his own home"..then I feel guilty. We just had our very special old dog pts this summer and even though he was suffocating from a tumor in his chest..I felt and still feel so guilty at times for taking his life. It's so hard and every time I have to make this decision for one of our furry loves it is so hard, as I know it is for everyone.

I did not go back with our other piggy when he was pts. He was in such bad shape and I do't think he was aware. With this one, I'm worried he will be scared or it will hurt him...after reading how it's done I don't know if I can hold him through it. I don't know if I should take him or keep him on his pain meds and let him live out whatever time he has left here...but I don't want him to be in pain or suffer and I'm afraid he is since his feet seem so painful.

My almost 12 year old had a really hard time with our dog this summer..and now is really fighting the idea of having her piggy pts. She has loved him so much...treated him like a little king of the castle for years. He's quite spoiled. She just wants to make sure he won't hurt when it happens. And she prefers it doesn't happen.

Anyone have experience with euthanasia with a guinea pig?

Last edited by thankfulheart; 09-30-2018 at 11:24 AM.
thankfulheart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say they are praying for thankfulheart:
gabriola (10-01-2018), Little Forest (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #2
lavenlove
Rosebud

lavenlove will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Guinea pig euthanasia?

I do not have experience with guinea pig euthanasia, but when we had my cat pts earlier this year, first they gave a pain med and then the med that stopped her heart. So as the vet explained it, she felt no pain. Not sure why it would be different for guinea pigs unless they cannot give the same types of medicine.

I’m so sorry, it’s always hard to lose a pet. And harder still I imagine if you’re kids are suffering through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lavenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lavenlove For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (10-03-2018), thankfulheart (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

thankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud of

I think with the piggy, they don't do any iv...they have to give them a gas to make them sleepy, but I've read sometimes it excites them instead. I think then after they are asleep they have to inject into the heart or other organ. If I knew that he'd go right to sleep and wouldn't have any issues with the gas and wouldn't feel anything, I think I'd feel better....I'm just feeling anxious about it. I don't want him to suffer or be scared in his last moments. He's been such a precious little friend. This decision is so hard.

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

I keep hoping he will just pass in his sleep. But he just keeps going.....he has a strong will to live I think. But maybe I'm just being dramatic.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

Would you feel better about it if the vet came to you? Some here will do that.

No experience with GPs, just cats. I'm so sorry for your family.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
thankfulheart (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

I wish they could come here. We had the vet come here for our dog this summer. The exotic pet vet that we take him to is 45 minutes away and the regular vets here don't know anything about exotic pets...we're rural, so farm animals, cats and dogs are the norm here. I'm pretty sure the exotic vet does not do house calls though, I will ask to be sure.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:19 PM   #6
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

I told Bug we are calling in the morning. He's not good tonight. I feel so bad, I think I waited too long to make this decision. Bug's crying herself to sleep. She told me she was crying for her piggy but also for our dog we lost this summer. She says she can't stop thinking about that now too. So much heartache for a sweet sensitive little girl.
The Following User Says Thank You to thankfulheart For This Useful Post:
lavenlove (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 03:31 AM   #7
lavenlove
Rosebud

Awe, I’m so sorry. I just prayed for y’all. I hope it is s smooth and peaceful experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to lavenlove For This Useful Post:
thankfulheart (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #8
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I’m so sorry. Praying

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2018, 10:14 AM   #9
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

Our appointment was at 10am. It was as peaceful as it could be. They gave him a shot with a sedative that he didn't seem to notice at all, and I held him up under my chin until he was asleep. Then I let them have him and they gave him an injection to stop his heart. They gave him back to me and I held him til he was gone. I wasn't ready to let him go, but he was so weak this morning and could barely stand. But he ate up his food from the syringe, gobbled down his greens and ate a big piece of red pepper. Somehow it didn't seem right that he was so interested in his food today and seemed alert. His poor body was just wasting away and it was so sad. Bug didn't go with me, she stayed with her grandpa, but she's home now and crying off and on. It's so hard. Every time we've made the decision to pts an animal, they have been very old with major health issues...but no matter that, I always feel so terribly guilty. I hate that feeling. I feel like I should be relieved that he's not in pain anymore, and I am. I just feel heartbroken and I already miss the sound of his water bottle jangling all day and the sounds of his wheeking when he hears us. Hard day.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thankfulheart For This Useful Post:
FlyingBlueKiwi (10-01-2018), kiloyd (10-03-2018), MegMarch (10-01-2018)
The Following 3 Users Say they are praying for thankfulheart:
FlyingBlueKiwi (10-01-2018), kiloyd (10-03-2018), MegMarch (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #10
hollybells
Deactivated

hollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond repute

I just had to make an appointment for our piggy today. She had a uti a year ago and we're seeing the symptoms again. We're taking her in tomorrow and I'm hoping it's that straight forward this time, too, but preparing that it may not be. These little creatures become part of our families.

I'm glad you could be with him and that it was peaceful.
hollybells is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hollybells For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (10-01-2018), thankfulheart (10-01-2018)
The Following User Says they are praying for hollybells:
MegMarch (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 11:27 AM   #11
lavenlove
Rosebud

It is always hard. I’ve only ever pts cats, and once, our dog. I’ve had the guilty feeling too, even tho I know they’re no longer in pain. But it sounds like you made the right choice. In my opinion, sometimes we do too much for our pets to extend their lives when they’re really just suffering. I hope you feel at peace soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to lavenlove For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2018, 12:24 PM   #12
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

Hollybells I hope your piggy is okay. Was the appointment today? You're right, they become very much part of our family.

lavenlove, I think you're right about doing too much sometimes. When our old guys started losing weight and now being interested in food, if we'd just left him alone then he would have been gone a long time ago. But by just hand feeding him several times a day, we extended his life by several months. It's hard to say looking back what we should have done. The first few months he did fine...was like his old self. So I think that was okay, but when he started going down again this last time we should have maybe pts at that point...but he had so many ups and downs it was hard to believe that was his last down.
The Following User Says Thank You to thankfulheart For This Useful Post:
lavenlove (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 12:30 PM   #13
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I’m so very glad it was peaceful. When we pts our dog last year, it was amazingly peaceful for him. They also did a sedative shot first and then the final injection.

Devastating for us and all 5 of us went and were with him when he left our lives. I’m crying just typing it.

But our vet was phenomenal. and I’m so glad you also had a good vet.

Praying for all of u. Its so so hard to say goodbye to a pet. It’s been 18 months and I still weep over Xander sometimes.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
lavenlove (10-01-2018), thankfulheart (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #14
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

I wonder if we ever stop weeping for them. I know I still tear up over our furry friends we lost years ago..and will cry often still over our dog we pts this summer. They take chunks of our hearts with them for sure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thankfulheart For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (10-03-2018), lavenlove (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #15
hollybells
Deactivated

hollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thankfulheart View Post
Hollybells I hope your piggy is okay. Was the appointment today? You're right, they become very much part of our family.
Thank you. It's tomorrow - their guinea pig vet wasn't in today.

Also, if it helps at all, I grew up with my earliest memory of caring for pets being that we are entrusted with them and sometimes, the kindest thing we can do is end their pain and suffering. It was always sad, but I never second-guessed if it was the right choice. It was also very rare (in case the previous sentence suggests otherwise) but I still remember when our family had very little extra money but my dad (a hunter and sharp-shooter) paid an emergency vet fee to have my hamster pts that night, rather than let it suffer through the night. I hope you and your family can feel peace about it soon.
hollybells is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hollybells For This Useful Post:
lavenlove (10-01-2018), tempus vernum (10-01-2018), thankfulheart (10-01-2018)