Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:47 AM   #1
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting from homeschool to college

Now that my oldest is in middle school it seems like I need to figure out how to get my ducks in a row rather than waiting for high school (especially since he may end up college ready early). Everything I’ve seen so far has been rather overwhelming. Are there any simple step by step resources out there? How do you turn laid back child led learning into a transcript? Do I really need to give him grades and how? All ideas and resources welcome!

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:16 AM   #2
gabriola
Rose Bouquet

gabriola will become famous soon enoughgabriola will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Getting from homeschool to college

I am in the same position, I don't have any advice but would love to know how others have transitioned successfully in this area.
gabriola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:16 AM   #3
Ms_Dahl
Rose Trellis

Ms_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond repute

I'll join in this conversation. I am navigating the middle school to high school transition as well. There are a few paid resources available online that track it for you, but I would like to do this without paying for it.

I'll add more thoughts later.
Ms_Dahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #4
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

I use a couple of resources.

My Homeschool Grades for transcript and keeping track of credit.

This link for unschooling type transcripts. It's really helpful even if you don't unschool. It's really good!

I like Lee Binz, The Home Scholar. She has lots of free resources on her site and some paid stuff too. The free stuff is really helpful.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
arelyn (08-30-2018), Ms_Dahl (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about reverse brainstorming - what are the essential learning skills, content knowledge, and educational experiences that make up a well rounded high school education? One you have your end goals in mind, then you can chart a path to getting there.

I think this also differs based on post secondary plans and the child's particular bent. Community colleges offer remedial classes in math and writing, but they're generally for students who haven't achieved high school graduate proficiency. [These are different than the majority of community college classes that count for college credit]

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

I do think planning in middle school makes sense. So much of high school builds on itself, like math and science sequences.

Last edited by Katigre; 08-30-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
mamacat (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 11:48 AM   #6
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

A resource that I had thought I might use was Senior High: A Home-Designed Form+u+la by Barbara Shelton. It talks about how to set up a transcript and it has lots of good ideas for making interests, life situations, and classes into high school credit and how to track and grade those courses.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #7
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster View Post
I use a couple of resources.

My Homeschool Grades for transcript and keeping track of credit.

This link for unschooling type transcripts. It's really helpful even if you don't unschool. It's really good!

I like Lee Binz, The Home Scholar. She has lots of free resources on her site and some paid stuff too. The free stuff is really helpful.
That first link is just amazing! It's a big relief. Though I do wonder if a no grades transcript would be looked favorably upon by a more competitive university.

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arelyn For This Useful Post:
The Tickle Momster (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 12:56 PM   #8
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arelyn View Post
That first link is just amazing! It's a big relief. Though I do wonder if a no grades transcript would be looked favorably upon by a more competitive university.
Yeah. I would contact any university you are applying to and talk to the admissions counselor. Someone here gave grades after the fact and did it based on how well the student remembered the material. Grades really are arbitrary for homeschoolers.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
Virginia (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 02:51 PM   #9
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

When the time comes agree about contacting any college or trade school about what they may want. I carefully kept a transcript and found out our local college doesnt even want or require them. Just usual entry tests. No transcript needed until high school age tho. Google the info for your state because each is different as far as requirements and number of credits and which subjects. I am a master at making a transcript out of out of the box kind of things. You can use work study or more experiental type things as electibe credits. I pulled up the course code list for our state and was able to match up course titles and codes for various subjects that way. Especially ones I pieced together. People seem to go to great lengths to try and list curriculum used and that sort of thing. Unless it is required I would not.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
charla (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 03:00 PM   #10
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Another thought, and this is the route ds1 went (and actually me, when I was a kid, though it was a different situation) is that 24 college credits makes you a transfer student and not a freshman applicant to most colleges; therefore there is no need for high school transcripts and usually no need for standardized test scores (SATs or ACTs). Ds1 went to community college and will transfer to the school of his choice with more than 24 credits at this point. He is also getting his GED that way.

So, it's a bit round about and a little unconventional, but much less for me - and him - to worry about regarding high school work.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
Virginia (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 03:17 PM   #11
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

You can assign grades in high school if you are concerned. Based on a far superior system than just rounding out test scores. When you homeschool you have a much better idea of exactly how your child is doing with a given subject and you can include that knowledge when you assign a grade . That is a great resource arelyn listed if you are looking to make an unschooly/eclectic diploma!

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:38 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

My eldest will do dual enrollment at the community college while in high school. If she completes enough credit, she'll be a transfer student, not applying as a freshman, like a PP wrote. If she doesn't earn that many credits, then I will have her write a transcript based on what she's learned at home and through dual enrollment. I will also encourage her to take CLEP tests, if she discovers that she tests well, like I did.

I don't plan to write transcripts for any of my kids. Help them, yes, but not write them.

The colleges I've pre-selected for her (just as ideas, of course she's free to go wherever she wants) have info on applying as a homeschooler.

Here's an example: https://college.lclark.edu/offices/a...es/homeschool/
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:10 AM   #13
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

My dh was homeschooled and did dual enrollment at a community college as well. He was only able to take a limited number of classes without a high school diploma so at some point his dad did have to make a transcript.
I went to public school, then community college as a freshman. Then we both transferred to Biola University. Dh was able to enter as a transfer student and didn't need his high school transcript. However, he spent an entire year longer at Biola than I did even though he had taken a comparable amount of credits in community college, because he hadn't received good guidance about the kind of classes that would transfer or be important for a four year degree.
All that to say, I think dual credit is great, but if the plan is to transfer, plan ahead.

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maleldil's daughter For This Useful Post:
arelyn (09-08-2018), FlyingBlueKiwi (09-04-2018), Katigre (09-02-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #14
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

We’ve had zero trouble. I did my own transcripts as I consider them “report cards” to be done by the teacher. we also used them for our car insurances “good student discount.”

We look at technical college and several universities, then we double check that’s more than required by state and go from there. I got a template from
A homeschooler whose kidsgradusted before mine and used that.

As far as getting into college, we do this based on the child’s abilities/desires!!
Kid 1 took her act’s and because they were decent had no trouble at any place she applied. She started technical college for a healthcare career last week

Kids 2 will probably do an internship or community college after high school so we r making sure he’s ready for this. He hates shook and does not want to do college.

Kid 3 will probably dual enroll but we will do this through a university that offers special prices for HSers so she will have to take act’s very young (freshman or sophomore year) in order to qualify for their program - it’s $30/credit and she’s capable or we wouldn’t be going this route. She also wants to be a phys therapist which requires a doctorate so I’m happy she could get a head start on college . She’s starting act prep next year (9th grade).

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote