Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 11-26-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
Dandelion
Rose Garden

Dandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Punishment vs. Natural/logical consequences

Since we are still very new to GBD I am still having a really hard time figuring out this whole concept. I keep thinking in punishment terms and it is clouding my ability to tell if I am punishing or if I am allowing natural or logical consequences. And since my immediate mental reaction to a kid related problem is to want to punish, I just end up confused and more angry by the time I actually figure out what might be a logical consequence. I think that I am still being either punitive or permissive most of the time. I am confused!
Here are some examples and how I handled them...

1. The kids are beating each other and screaming over a toy that they both want. This usually involves the 2 and 4 yr olds, but may sometimes involve the oldest. Unless I can clearly see that someone has been wronged (the toy was directly grabbed out of one child's hand by another child, or it is a very special or new toy), I have been just taking the toy and saying that we will not play with anything that is going to cause problems between people, the other person is more important than the need or desire to have the toy.

2. The kids know that dinner will be ready any minute, they have been told, they have washed their hands and can see that the table is set. They are, however, in the middle of building with their Knexs and do not want to stop when the food is placed on the table. So after I have told them 3, 4, 5 times to sit down and they continue to tell me to wait/ignore me, I tell them that they may no longer play with the Knexs after dinner. I think that I did also warn them while saying for the second or third time that it was time to sit down at the table. I feel like when I say something like this, though, that I am threatening them.

3. While we were eating out the other day my 4 yr old discovered that I had ordered him lemonade instead of root beer. He started screaming so loudly that the entire resturant could hear him "You never listen to me! I said I wanted root beer! You never listen to me!" over and over and over and he was crying and really upset. I had no idea what to do. It was very frustrating. Eventually I told him to get up because I was going to take him to the car and then my dh came and told him that he could have a refill of rootbeer after he drank the lemonade, then he calmed down, but I completely don't feel like we handled it right.

4. So finally I will say that all 3 kids have just had terrible attitudes lately and have been screaming at each other and me and dh and anyone else who comes near them. What do I do with a screaming, kicking 2 or 4 yr old? Often the things that cause the screaming are, in my mind, ridiculous. It feels like they are just making things up to scream about - especially the 2 yr old. And I often cannot pick her up, which may or may not work, depending on the instance, because we are in a hurry to do something (ie. get the oldest to school or meet someone somewhere). I also just won't pick her up because I am just not going to put the baby down every 10 minutes and interrupt him nursing again. She has been screaming all the time and I feel that I need to just draw the line and say no more screaming!
B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
AmyDoll
Deactivated

AmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Punishment vs. Natural/logical consequences

1. fine - that's totally logical
2. playful parenting might benefit you... last one to the table is a rotten egg works well here.
3. did you acknowledge his feelings? i usually whisper in ds's ear, "baby, momma is sorry. you wanted root beer. breathe with me in... out... we'lll fix it baby... in.. out... you are sooo sad at momma.
4. screaming is for outside. inside we use inside voices. repeat ad nauseum.
AmyDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
Dandelion
Rose Garden

Dandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
2. playful parenting might benefit you... last one to the table is a rotten egg works well here.
3. did you acknowledge his feelings? i usually whisper in ds's ear, "baby, momma is sorry. you wanted root beer. breathe with me in... out... we'lll fix it baby... in.. out... you are sooo sad at momma.
Very good suggestions! I am feeling better already....However
Quote:
screaming is for outside. inside we use inside voices. repeat ad nauseum.
I would be saying this all day. Once she starts, she does not stop until I don't know what.
B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15
Old 11-26-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

1) fine logical and appropiate a firm rule we have here is people are more important than things.
2) that falls into permissive don't ask "more than once" (diffrent from repeating for clarity) wash hands sit down and make it a non issue playful parenting can help for sure
3) First scream look at her dirrectly in the eye and say No ma'am you do NOT scream. reflect feeling and remove from situation if needed.
4) rules on indoor voices and make sure she is getting her special time
Old 11-26-2007, 09:41 PM   #5
AmyDoll
Deactivated

AmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond repute

Put her outside. I very nicely would pick Sam up and move him outside if he was stuck, with the words, "Screaming is for outside."

Caveats include a safe spot for littles to be outside, your own child's personality etc. it worked for us tho. YMMV
AmyDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

obsessive screaming and mine gets put in her room. IF shes "needs" to scream then she can do it away from us. We find that once her audience is gone it looses its appeal. Its a logical conquence.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #7
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

I don't allow "screaming" outside eaither the neighbors don't need to hear that eaither..

Deanna
Old 11-26-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacheetah
Since we are still very new to GBD I am still having a really hard time figuring out this whole concept. I keep thinking in punishment terms and it is clouding my ability to tell if I am punishing or if I am allowing natural or logical consequences.
For me, to determine whether I am being punitive or just allowing a natural/logical consequence is to examine *my* motive and *my* thoughts. If my goal is to stop the behavior and correct the child, or stop the behavior and prevent it from happening again, then I consider that a natural or logical consequence. If I am trying to make my child feel badly so that he will refrain from the same behavior again, then that is punitive. My child may have really big feelings or even feel like he is being punished when I allow a natural consequence, but I can't help that.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:12 AM   #9
Dandelion
Rose Garden

Quote:
I don't allow "screaming" outside eaither the neighbors don't need to hear that eaither..
We live in the city with houses very close and people always walking by so I don't allow screaming outside either. I don't think I am being clear that she is basically having a temper tantrum. And it is mostly during transitional parts of the day - leaving to go somewhere, diaper changes (she is screaming right now about not wanting her diaper changed and I am taking a break to breath or I will not be a nice diaper changer), needing to stop something and start something else.

Today my 4 yr is being very difficult/defiant. Nothing out of the ordinary for him or all that bad, but I know that he knows what he is doing and that he is testing me. He might as well just say "so what are you going to do about it" but instead he just gives me his mischief look. We had a difficult morning, lots of running around and he did lots of running - literally. And I told him to stop, but instead he just gave me that look. He picked up a chair at the doctor's office and dropped it on the floor. He continued to just try to get in the way and get in trouble. So my consequence is that he has to take a nap today. I was trying to wean him off naps because he sometimes has a hard time going to sleep at night, but he also has a hard time behaving if he does not have a nap. Ahhhhh! I am just losing it feeling like such an out of control mom.
B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15
Old 11-27-2007, 10:27 AM   #10
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Tantrums are allowed but mine needs to have it in her room. I will hold and comfort a distressed crying child but I need her to at least begin to calm down she is safest and most secure in her room so thats were we take our big feelings.

Try rewording some of your nos to becomes yes. Instead of stop running say lets sit over here and read a book give the what they can do instead of lots of what they shouldn't.

Deanna
Old 11-27-2007, 07:44 PM   #11
Dandelion
Rose Garden

Quote:
Try rewording some of your nos to becomes yes. Instead of stop running say lets sit over here and read a book give the what they can do instead of lots of what they shouldn't.
I love ideas like this and they do work for my sometimes, but today the no running had to do with running down the hall of the doctor's office and then inside the office and there was just no way I could physically stop O-man. He is such a handful and I already have a handful of baby and 2 yr old most of the time. I am wondering if there is no good solution except that I forge ahead frustrated and looking like a fool most of the time. For the moment at least.

Here is another frequent situation that occurs at our house....Sweet pea is not so sweet about getting her teeth brushed. One night I sat on her in frustration and just held her mouth open. I had no idea what else to do. I have tried to be fun and make a talking toothbrush. That worked for about 3 days. I have tried reasoning and threatening. But she just refuses most days to open her mouth. And the same with diaper changes. She screams and kicks me and says she doesn't want her diaper changed. I am really losing my mind here.
B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15
Old 11-27-2007, 08:02 PM   #12
SuperMama

Hang in there mama....no real advice except your 2 yr old won't be 2 forever....it's hard to fight everything! I remember the diaper and teeth wars.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:09 PM   #13
Dandelion
Rose Garden

Quote:
Hang in there mama....no real advice except your 2 yr old won't be 2 forever....it's hard to fight everything! I remember the diaper and teeth wars.
Thanks! I needed some encouragement. And someone to empathize . Right now I am like a wounded animal and the kids just sense the blood and are tearing me apart . At least my little one is still a sweetheart.
B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15
Old 11-27-2007, 10:37 PM   #14
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Yes hang in there. We did a lot of things to "help" with the diaper and teeth struggles multpile brushes (for choice) chooseing her own diaper songs allowing her to brush my teeth changing standing up toys, TV character toothpaste etc etc and they all had various degrees of success.. Some days though I just had to make it happen wet diapers resulted in severe rashes and fast and I feel oral health is important enough that if needed I would as gently as I could yet firm enough I didn't also get hurt hold her down and change or brush her teeth.
It does get better even with my late trainer it did get better and now she loves to brush her teeth

Deanna
Old 11-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #15
Dandelion
Rose Garden

Quote:
It does get better even with my late trainer it did get better and now she loves to brush her teeth
I do believe that it gets better - I am just trying not to turn into mama monster in the meantime
B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15