Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
light of mine
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Baby smooches

light of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Info on Fish?

My oldest dd has a beautiful blue beta fish named Tsunumi, and I love to watch him. I really never thought about owning fish before, but my Dh was given a very nice 10 gallon tank, and now I want a fish or two, but as I no absolutely nothing about them, I thought I would ask here for some basic info. What kind of fish would work in that small of a tank? Tips/tricks for owning a fish?
Old 04-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on Fish?

Google information on how to fishless cycle your tank. This is a process where you grow the beneficial bacteria in your filter material (do not swap it as packages say) that helps breakdown ammonia from fish waste. It is one of the most important details in having a tank that will be able to safely house any fish you choose.

I have one tank these days, same size. I have ammano shrimp, five black neon tetras and a female betta in mine.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (04-22-2017), light of mine (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
TheNaturalBetta
Seedling Rose

TheNaturalBetta will become famous soon enough

What is Tsunami in now? Betta actually like space, contrary to what petstores may tell you, and they need warm water. I have four 10 gallon tanks, all with bettas. I love bettas! I have a youtube channel, V Betta, if you want to see them. I also have shrimp and gourami and corydoras. I have... a lot of tanks. LoL Dwarf gourami are cute and a lot like betta, they can breathe air and also make bubblenest. Pygmy corydoras are adorable, tiny, and thrive in groups. You could put Tsunami and pygmy cories in a 10, they would get along.

mama to Son-9 years, and Daughter-6 years, and baby Son
TheNaturalBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheNaturalBetta For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (04-22-2017), Kiara.I (04-21-2017), light of mine (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
light of mine
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Baby smooches

light of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNaturalBetta View Post
What is Tsunami in now? Betta actually like space, contrary to what petstores may tell you, and they need warm water. I have four 10 gallon tanks, all with bettas. I love bettas! I have a youtube channel, V Betta, if you want to see them. I also have shrimp and gourami and corydoras. I have... a lot of tanks. LoL Dwarf gourami are cute and a lot like betta, they can breathe air and also make bubblenest. Pygmy corydoras are adorable, tiny, and thrive in groups. You could put Tsunami and pygmy cories in a 10, they would get along.
So I shouldn't have youtube'd looking for betta info! I saw yours and love the setup. Out of all the fish mentioned, I don't think any of them are as beautiful as the bettas. Currently Tsunami is only in a 2 gallon tank. I guess I'll put him in the bigger tank (considering buying a divider and getting a second betta?) The only bad thing about that is that dd wants Tsunami to stay in her room, and I was hoping to have a fish in a room the family could enjoy it more. Maybe someday I will get another tank just for me.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Go with one gender so that you don't have to deal with reproduction.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

You could get a bigger tank for her Betta...and get another Betta!

Bettas do fine with other fish around them, if you pick the fish carefully. I had a 10-gallon tank for ages, and you can actually keep quite a few fish in them if you're careful about tank maintenance.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
TheNaturalBetta
Seedling Rose

TheNaturalBetta will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by light of mine View Post
So I shouldn't have youtube'd looking for betta info! I saw yours and love the setup. Out of all the fish mentioned, I don't think any of them are as beautiful as the bettas. Currently Tsunami is only in a 2 gallon tank. I guess I'll put him in the bigger tank (considering buying a divider and getting a second betta?) The only bad thing about that is that dd wants Tsunami to stay in her room, and I was hoping to have a fish in a room the family could enjoy it more. Maybe someday I will get another tank just for me.
Sometimes you can find aquariums cheap on Craigslist or even thrifts if you're lucky, lol. My mom can always find good stuff somehow.

I think bettas are the best too. My daughter wanted a gourami so that is why I branched out. If you have enough hiding places betta can have the little fresh water shrimp in with them. They will hunt them though... but if you have a big population of shrimp... well... It is fun for the fish anyways. Eh. Some betta are more aggressive than others too.

mama to Son-9 years, and Daughter-6 years, and baby Son
TheNaturalBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:22 PM   #8
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

We have zebra denos and glow fish. I would suggest finding a local shop, not just PetSmart and talking to them about the local issues with water. When we moved 20 min away it greatly changed how we had to treat out water because of the diffrences in the citys water treatment processes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #9
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

You could always do dwarf shrimp in a tank that size. Any larger and you could do Amano Shrimp.

Fish, any live-bearers in a group of about 3, but stick with one gender due to breeding.

Bettas for sure in that size. Just keep in mind you might need a heater and you need a good flowing (but not overwhelming flow) filter so that the air circulates enough for the plants once you've cycled well.

If you planted it well and had enough hiding spots, you might could go with some dwarf fish types like Endler Guppies and combine the tank with safe cleaners like freshwater clams (3-4 for a tank that size) and maybe some dwarf shrimp that handle the same kind of water parameters.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote