Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 10-31-2005, 08:39 AM   #16
Epieikeia
Deactivated

Epieikeia is a splendid one to beholdEpieikeia is a splendid one to beholdEpieikeia is a splendid one to beholdEpieikeia is a splendid one to beholdEpieikeia is a splendid one to beholdEpieikeia is a splendid one to beholdEpieikeia is a splendid one to beholdEpieikeia is a splendid one to beholdEpieikeia is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Opinion needed. Should kids with colds go to church?

Quote:
It actually only bothers me (or mainly) in the winter. I think in the winter greeters should not shake hands. They are shaking the hand of every man woman and child that comes through the door and when the sounds of sniffling, snorting, coughing and sneezing overpower the sermon, I think it's nasty to be passing those germs around for some sort of social custom.
Yeah I agree...I was just thinking that it may not bother me as much because I don't really shake too many people's hands at church outside of dh. At our churches in MI we never had morning greeters...so I never had to consider shaking anyone's hand.

We have morning greeters here, but I always seem to be holding on to a child, so my hands are never free.

Now that my kids are getting older that will change so I will have to start thinking about this issue I guess....
Epieikeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:45 AM   #17
Mama Calidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons
BTW, does anyone else NOT want to shake hands at church? I think it is gross and I don't know how to politely get around it.
Having both hands full is an easy out, if you can figure out how to get them both full. DS sleeping in arms is a good one. If it's crowded, just holding two kids hands gets you a pass. One kid's hand and an arm full of Bibles and books. A and a "God bless you" and you're past them...unless you're here and the greeter is another woman, and then she'll just kiss you.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:50 AM   #18
mwelfare

My six month old babies were born very prematurely. I have to stay at home all winter with them because they have compromised immune systems and even a cold will land them in the hospital. If everyone stopped to think about it and stayed home that one week that they or their little ones were sick, I wouldn't have to miss church every single week all winter! I firmly beleive in being selfish with your germs because you don't know who else that minor cold might affect, so I would vote that you should keep your little ones at home until they are better.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:16 PM   #19
peacefulveganmom
Deactivated

peacefulveganmom is a glorious beacon of lightpeacefulveganmom is a glorious beacon of lightpeacefulveganmom is a glorious beacon of lightpeacefulveganmom is a glorious beacon of lightpeacefulveganmom is a glorious beacon of lightpeacefulveganmom is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwelfare
I firmly beleive in being selfish with your germs because you don't know who else that minor cold might affect, so I would vote that you should keep your little ones at home until they are better.

I agree!
peacefulveganmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:48 PM   #20
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwelfare
My six month old babies were born very prematurely. I have to stay at home all winter with them because they have compromised immune systems and even a cold will land them in the hospital. If everyone stopped to think about it and stayed home that one week that they or their little ones were sick, I wouldn't have to miss church every single week all winter! I firmly beleive in being selfish with your germs because you don't know who else that minor cold might affect, so I would vote that you should keep your little ones at home until they are better.

My youngest was born prematurely last Jan. Dh and I would take turns going to SS, the other staying at home with the kids. We're doing the same this flu season because M's immune system is still compromised.

At our church, if you register your child in the nursery, you've "volunteered" to cover a class every three months. Nearly every time we've kept the nursery there has been at least one child who is obviously sick. I get sick, then Della gets sick. Very frustrating. Especially when we talk to the nursery director and ask her if we can call the parents and she refuses.

So, yeah...I vote stay at home.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:59 AM   #21
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinion needed. Should kids with colds go to

Honestly, it'd be my preference that people who are sick would just stay home. I was sick this last week and stayed home. I keep my kids home if they're sick. I know there are kids with weaker immune systems, and I try to be careful for them as well as for my kids.

Quote:
Our church nursery used to have a "snot chart" at the sign in desk. It had computer generated faces of children with different colored snot coming out of their nose. Clear and clear with white were o-kay yellow and green and little one needed to go home.
That's odd... I've heard that clear noses can very well be contagious. Here's some links:
http://www.npnonline.org/Articles/npn_runnynose.html
Quote:
As long as your child’s nose is running, he is contagious; in medical lingo, this period is called "viral shedding." The clear runny stuff is more contagious simply because it is easier to spread around than the thicker drier stuff
http://www.healthychild.net/articles/sh27runnynose.html
Quote:
In most cases, green or yellow nasal mucus (usually found toward the end of the cold) is no more contagious than clear mucus and may be even less contagious. The runny nose usually starts with clear mucus, which then becomes whitish or greenish as the cold dries up and gets better. This happens because as the body mounts its defense against the virus, white blood cells enter the mucus and color it. Usually the colored mucus comes in smaller amounts and is thicker, a sign that the cold is "drying up" and ending.

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:36 AM   #22
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

An update to my shaking hands issue. I was patting myself on the back for coming up with the solution (going in a side door!) when the greeter hunted me down at my seat in the narthex (I get claustrophobic in the sanctuary) and shook my hand.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:38 PM   #23
kalemommy

I agree that anyone who is contagious should not be in church, especially if there are elderly or others there who should not be catching things. I usually use the color nasal mucous (sorry if that's too TMI) to determine whether or not a child or person is contagious. If it's clear, then the person is clear to socialize.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:59 PM   #24
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinion needed. Should kids with colds go to

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalemommy
If it's clear, then the person is clear to socialize.
But, as I just posted above, clear is often more contagious than yellow or green.

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote