Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #46
duckwithoneleg
Rose Garden

"Be just who you're made to be, Poppa is so mighty pleased with thee." -Danielsons

duckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond reputeduckwithoneleg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Read this Blog? Razing Ruth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyhntr2 View Post
She has two new posts since the last time I read a couple days ago. Her dad posted again too...wow. The deception that he is engulfed in is intense.
no kidding!!!
duckwithoneleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:46 AM   #47
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

She made a little video. Link is on her blog. Yeah, don't know which emotion to have.

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #48
MuseMama

There's some good information on the hyper-Patriarchy movement (of which Gothardism and ATI fits) on Whitewashedfeminst.com as well. The Duggars seem like such nice people, but some of what they do and think makes me cringe.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:57 AM   #49
MaiMama
Rose Garden

MaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. I haven't read much, but enough. Poor thing. I admire her bravery.
Trinity Rain - The Matrix, 2004
Jackson Atreyu - The Neverending Story, 2006
Bella Adalyn - Twilight, 2009
and introducing:
Lincoln Ambassador - Fringe, 12/16/2012
remembering Aviva Ata '08
MaiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #50
Serendipity
Deactivated

GCM, thanks for the memories.

Serendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond repute

Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Bbl
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #51
Liberated4Christ

We nearly got sucked in the Gothard movement 5 years ago. We met a family, who were friends with the Duggers, and they turned us on to ATI world. One thing led to the other. I still have the big redbooks and still do the character sketches with my kids.. I also have 5 kids, 3 were during our quiverful mentality. I cherish each one of them though.

If the Lord had not touched my DH the way that he did 3 years ago, we would have had 8 by now! I just know it! I love children, but was dying slowly inside.

I have been asked to contribute my families story on the no longer quivering website. It is a very touchy subject for me, and I am not sure that if I ran into the group I once called "my sisters" that I would not get sucked back in. I hate lables, but it felt like I was part of a cult.

Vicki Garrison is a great women though, and is on facebook. She will let anyone friend her. I have my story all ready. I have kept quiet for several years, but have been talking to many ladies who are no longer quivering and feel that I can help someone.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
amyhntr2 (03-16-2010), bliss (03-16-2010), duckwithoneleg (03-14-2010), euromom (03-15-2010), joyousTXmama (03-13-2010), momyshaver (03-14-2010), NewLeaf (03-14-2010), ReedleBeetle (03-15-2010), SortaCrunchy (03-14-2010)
The Following User Says they are praying for :
euromom (03-15-2010)
Old 03-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #52
joyousTXmama
Climbing Rose

joyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to behold

An incredible young woman! And a talented writer. I would love to be her friend...
Really sheds light on that movement. I happen to like the Duggars- but I've always wondered about the reality of such a lifestyle once the camera crews have gone home.
Thanks to the op for this link. I read the entire blog and will be following it.
and MK (May 2015)
Longing to hold my three s in heaven (Feb 2011, June 2011, July 2012)

AP'ing, co-sleeping, CLW, no-circ, selectively vaccinating, and learning gentleness in parenting every day!

LOVE LETS LIVE

joyousTXmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joyousTXmama For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (03-15-2010)
Old 03-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #53
DoulaClara
Rose Garden

DoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond repute

Her post from yesterday (Sat Mar 13) is a perfect example of where "First Time Obedience" tends to go wrong. Even in a household where a family thinks that they are doing it for necessary things, and not arbitrary things- her story about the family friend is exactly why teaching children to obey the first time, every time, right away, is a terrible idea. Good post!
duckwithoneleg (03-14-2010), erinee (03-14-2010), euromom (03-15-2010), klpmommy (03-18-2010), ReedleBeetle (03-15-2010), Zooey (03-15-2010)
Old 03-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #54
ubermom

I grew up in an ATI home and was homeschooled with Gothard's curriculum. It is scary stuff. My mother had health issues which kept our family small, which looking back, was a real blessing. Her blog brought back a lot of issues. Time to call the counselor, again.
The Following 7 Users Say they are praying for :
backtobasicsmum (03-15-2010), brandi (03-15-2010), DoulaClara (03-14-2010), euromom (03-15-2010), klpmommy (03-18-2010), SortaCrunchy (03-15-2010), Zooey (03-14-2010)
Old 03-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #55
Benjaminswife
Rose Garden

Benjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud of

I really like her blog too. I want to give her a great big hug.

~Julie~
Wife to Ben since 08/03/02,
Mama to Daniel~9, Drew~7 & Joshua~3
Blogging Through The Journey

Benjaminswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #56
NewLeaf
Deactivated
I support GCM!

NewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond repute

That last post was so very sad.
NewLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:11 AM   #57
SortaCrunchy
Climbing Rose

SortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
That last post was so very sad.
Sickening and heartbreaking. Sad, sad, sad.

Homemaking freelance writer & author passionate about gentle mothering, natural living, social justice and great coffee. Married to my college sweetheart and the SortaCrunchy mama to my big girls (8 and 5) and brand new (2/7/13) twin boys.

Co-author of Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year

SortaCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #58
hopeforchange
Deactivated

hopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond repute

i've spent the last several days reading her blog...what a heartbreaking story. i'm so glad that she managed to leave.
hopeforchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #59
Serendipity
Deactivated

GCM, thanks for the memories.

Serendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipity has a reputation beyond repute

What area of the country/denomination is Gothard popular with? Does he have a big following in certain states? I can't put my finger on it but I'm suspecting my childhood pastor modled a lot of his teachings from the pulpit.

Oooh look...my 3000 post!!
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #60
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah!!! 3,000! Congrats! Ok...back to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote