Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #106
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fermentation support thread :D

Yes, good!! In warm weather I "burp" my jars when I think about it and don't screw the lids on very tightly.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #107
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

The blueberry preserves came out so yummy!!! I know my kids will eat them and hopefully not react to the whey. It's been only 24 hours but they taste fermented to me. The directions say 2 days but I think I'm going to transfer them to the fridge to make sure to avoid the alcohol taste I got when I let my salsa go for 36 hours instead. That won't mess them up will it?

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post
In post 89 I have a recipe for fermented apricot butter, I bet you could use peaches, just skip the soaking.
So far so good with this, I purreed about 8 cups of diced peaches and then cooked them down to about 4 1/2 cups so sort of the reverse of what she's doing with the dried fruit in the NT's butters I think (hope). They taste really good so far, they don't taste fermented yet though so I'm still waiting.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #108
shirelingmum
Rose Bouquet

"My lips will praise You!"

Location: Pacific Northwest (otherwise known as Middle Earth)
shirelingmum is a glorious beacon of lightshirelingmum is a glorious beacon of lightshirelingmum is a glorious beacon of lightshirelingmum is a glorious beacon of lightshirelingmum is a glorious beacon of lightshirelingmum is a glorious beacon of light

so totally unrelated (well not completely:P) but i'm so excited for this thread! i make all sorts of fermented things like water kefir, milk kefir, kombucha, yogurt, etc. wanting to find others who do and hone my skills too^_^ great to see/meet you all! (i've been a part of GCM for a while but knew that i needed to be more involved as of late! i need Gentle encouragement!) so anyhow. sweet
shirelingmum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shirelingmum For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (08-10-2011), curlymopmom (08-14-2011), wallflowermama (08-10-2011)
Old 08-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #109
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

My pickles actually worked this time!!! Eating one right now.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
Blue-EyedLady (08-10-2011), curlymopmom (08-14-2011), Thankfulforgrace (08-10-2011)
Old 08-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #110
Thankfulforgrace
Rose Garden

Thankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaVA View Post
My pickles actually worked this time!!! Eating one right now.
Oh good!!! I'm happy for you. It's so frustrating to go to tons of work and have it not turn out!
AngelaVA (08-10-2011)
Old 08-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #111
wallflowermama
Rose Bouquet

wallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankfulforgrace View Post
So my beet kvass is suppose to be ready today so I just tasted it and it seemed watery-not strong enough. I wonder if it's either I didn't use big enough beets or if it needs to go longer than two days....
Not sure if someone already answered your question or not, but I just made mine too(with salt only) and they taste like salty beet water.
I made them before with whey and it was basically the same taste. So I'm guessing that's fine.

If they are sour that's probably okay too...

INxJ Type 4/2 Wife to DH since 2003
Homeschooling Mama to Munchkin #1 (M) - Sept/05, and Munchkin #2 (A) - Nov/10

wallflowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wallflowermama For This Useful Post:
Thankfulforgrace (08-11-2011)
Old 08-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #112
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Can I make pickles out of regular cukes?

I got about 11+ pounds of "seconds" heirloom tomatoes today for $8.98 Fermented salsa, here I come!

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
Thankfulforgrace (08-11-2011)
Old 08-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #113
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, my pickles have quite a "bite" to them, but they're not really sour yet. However, the water has gotten quite cloudy. Do I stick them in the fridge or let them go a little longer? They've been on the counter since last Thursday (so 1 week) and the house is about 75 degrees.

The dilly carrots have a milder bite, but are also not yet sour. They've been going since Saturday, so 5 days now. The jar foams every time I open it. DH says that's just not right!

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #114
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

I find dilly carrots are best after 7 days and then get better the longer they are in the fridge. However, they don't keep well after a certain point, it seems.

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:16 AM   #115
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

My kids really liked the pickles, they already finished one of the quart jars, I am contemplating putting more cucumbers back in the same brine to try again, it seems like it would still be good.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #116
everydaygrace
Climbing Rose

everydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I'm curious. What is the difference between alcohol and other fermented foods? Does alcohol not have the probiotic benefit? And if not, why not?
Old 08-13-2011, 05:28 AM   #117
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydaygrace View Post
Okay, I'm curious. What is the difference between alcohol and other fermented foods? Does alcohol not have the probiotic benefit? And if not, why not?
I think you can make home fermented beer and wine that does have probiotic benefits but the storebought kind is too processed. Other fermented foods you are going for 'lacto' variety bacterias instead of alcohol. Sometimes with fruit stuff you may get trace amounts of alcohol depending on how well it went. I think that's way you have to have whey or a starter culture with fruit, to avoid making wine instead.

The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
Thankfulforgrace (08-13-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #118
curlymopmom
Deactivated

curlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm avoiding my ferments. I've been distracted this week and most of them have mold on the top.

IIRC, I can just take the mold off and keep the rest... Right?
curlymopmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:53 AM   #119
abbiroads
Rose Garden

abbiroads has disabled reputation

right, though some survive that better than others. I have had cabage turn a really gross gray.
ds2: Eli 4/06
ds3: Judah 4/08
abbiroads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abbiroads For This Useful Post:
curlymopmom (08-15-2011)
Old 08-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #120
Thankfulforgrace
Rose Garden

Thankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond repute

So no pickling cucumbers or good tomatoes at the farmers market. boo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlymopmom View Post
I'm avoiding my ferments. I've been distracted this week and most of them have mold on the top.

IIRC, I can just take the mold off and keep the rest... Right?
Depends on how they taste. Slimy I believe isn't good.