Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:22 PM   #16
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas

Christmas is on a Sunday this year! I love going to a special service before we open gifts...I wish we could do that every year.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (11-20-2016), weerach (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 12:46 AM   #17
MariJo7
Rose Trellis

MariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
Thank you for sharing that cool story!

The thing about the elf that is different from Tonttu is that it is an actual little doll that parents buy and put in different places. There is the creepy idea that it is watching you all the time and reporting back to Santa Claus (and you can see the elf doll up there, on the bookshelf or on the mantle, it might be on top of a kitchen cabinet or the curtain rod or anywhere your parents put it, and they move it from place to place every day or every couple of days).
Sounds creepy indeed. I have not seen anything like that here, not yet, at least. Such customs do spread, however. Perhaps they will be selling Elf dolls here in a couple of years also. I don't thing I'd ever buy one.

The Tonttus are told to peep through the windows during the time before Christmas. If the kids quarrel or do something naughty, Mom might say: "Please, watch your behavior. There might be a Tonttu behind the window right now". But I have not yet seen a spying doll on the shelf.

I have never done much Tonttu stuff. One year I had a Christmas calendar with little presents or chocolates for each day of December before Christmas Eve. The calendar was a big Christmas tree formed clothe on the wall (my aunt had sewn it) with 24 little pouches for the presents. I told the kids that a special Christmas Calendar Tonttu would fill the pouches every night, but he was a very clumsy and forgetful one so if he forgot it, the kids should not be mad at him but wait patiently. Of course the kids knew that this forgetful Calendar Elf was me, but they often asked me about his well being and whereabouts: "How is the Calendar Tonttu? Has he been able to perform his duties?" It was a funny game but we all knew it was just a game.

As I happened to mention the Christmas Calendar...that is a very nice Finnish Christmas tradition that can be applied in many different ways. A christmas Calendar can be anything with 24 little boxes, pouches, envelopes, windows...It can be a Christmas tree made of clothe or cardboard. It can be a rope across the room with 24 little stockings hanging from it. You can make one from 24 match boxes or kitchen paper rolls or colorful envelopes. The most simple Calendars are made of cardboard and have 24 windows with little pictures behind them. The main thing is that you open one window pouche/stocking/box/anything in the morning, starting from 1st December.
The pouches/boxes/whatever can be filled with anything: small presents, chocolate, pictures, poems, cooking recipes, Bible verses...
MariJo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MariJo7 For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 03:19 PM   #18
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

The advent calendar thing is done here, too. I used to do one for my kids with activities to do each day, but even though some of them were simple, I found that expecting a surprise each day (even if it was just an activity) made them too greedy and they complained if it wasn't one they liked, etc, so I quit.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singingmom View Post
Christmas is on a Sunday this year! I love going to a special service before we open gifts...I wish we could do that every year.
I absolutely love Sunday Christmas. Unfortunately almost no one around me agrees with me. We believe in "keeping the Sabbath holy" more strictly than most Christians so people don't enjoy having their Christmas spoiled by worship or having to curtail their normal Christmas activities. We're actually planning on opening presents on Christmas Eve this year so that we can go to church with our minds more on the Savior (that's the idea anyway- we'll see how that works).

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
MariJo7 (11-21-2016), Singingmom (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 05:50 PM   #19
Reva
Rose Trellis

Reva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond repute

I Christmas! Dh bought a new (artificial) tree Sunday, and they had it up before I got home from work. It just needs to have the ornaments put on, and the kids will do that tomorrow.
Forever missing my sweet R (HLHS) and the baby we never got to meet.
Reva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:14 AM   #20
solatido
Rose Trellis

solatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
The advent calendar thing is done here, too. I used to do one for my kids with activities to do each day, but even though some of them were simple, I found that expecting a surprise each day (even if it was just an activity) made them too greedy and they complained if it wasn't one they liked, etc, so I quit.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

I absolutely love Sunday Christmas. Unfortunately almost no one around me agrees with me. We believe in "keeping the Sabbath holy" more strictly than most Christians so people don't enjoy having their Christmas spoiled by worship or having to curtail their normal Christmas activities. We're actually planning on opening presents on Christmas Eve this year so that we can go to church with our minds more on the Savior (that's the idea anyway- we'll see how that works).
Are you RPCNA by chance? I'm thrilled that we are having worship, a fellowship meal, and a Psalm sing this year. Less than thrilled to have to teach Sunday school that day though...

I like the idea of doing gifts the night before... or maybe we can save them for after church when we are all fed and happy. Hmmmmm....
solatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #21
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by solatido View Post
Are you RPCNA by chance? I'm thrilled that we are having worship, a fellowship meal, and a Psalm sing this year. Less than thrilled to have to teach Sunday school that day though...

I like the idea of doing gifts the night before... or maybe we can save them for after church when we are all fed and happy. Hmmmmm....
I'm LDS. We don't have a Christmas service unless Christmas is on Sunday. Our church has a service on Christmas but all the classes are canceled so we can get more family time. Psalm sing sounds awesome- I have never been to one! Of course I love singing so anything with singing always makes me happy!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
solatido (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 12:02 PM   #22
solatido
Rose Trellis

solatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond repute

My denom doesn't recognize Christmas either. Chances are good the sermon will be about Luke 2 that day and we will sing Messianic Psalms. Kind of like what is done for Easter. And Thanksgiving. Our church does have a yearly Christmas party a few weeks beforehand, including carol singing. It's a bone of contention for some people though. One lady set a ton of Psalms to Christmas tunes... not kidding.

We always pack up and go to another church for Christmas Eve to get our Christmas service "fix." Funny, we have run into a decent number of RP people there over the years

Our tree is up but I have NO presents ready to go Thank goodness for Amazon Prime!
The Following User Says Thank You to solatido For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #23
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

I'm excited!

I'm almost done chickadee. I just need to get one more stocking thing. The boys are half done. I just need to get presents for DH and my parents.

i've decorated the house… Mostly. I think we're probably going to get our tree this weekend.

We do elf magic, which is different than elf on a shelf. No manipulating our kids by telling them that Santa is watching through the elves. We do Santa. As a game. This year bear asked me if Santa was real. We had a talk, a nice talk and he's excited to be part of the magic. I'm getting used to this new phase. He's almost 11. He was barely 3 when I started on this board

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #24
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singingmom View Post
We typically go the evening Childrens Mass Christmas eve I'm looking foward to when we can do Midnight Mass again but Margaret is still a little too young for that.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:19 PM   #25
weerach
Rose Garden

weerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond repute

We are having our usual services on the Sunday, the kids will get to open their stockings then will get the rest of their presents after church. My uncle has a carol service at our church, I think it's the Friday before Christmas where everyone sings carols etc then there's refreshments. I cleared the lounge ready for the tree going up tomorrow . And Naomi has started crawling this week so this will Be interesting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mr N 2009
Mr J 2010
Miss S 2013
Miss N - 2016

6 angels waiting with the Lord

"Looking off unto Jesus my spirit is blessed,
In the world i have turmoil ; In him i have rest,
While the sea of my life all about me may roar,
When i look unto Jesus i see it no more"
weerach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:41 PM   #26
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by weerach View Post
We are having our usual services on the Sunday, the kids will get to open their stockings then will get the rest of their presents after church. My uncle has a carol service at our church, I think it's the Friday before Christmas where everyone sings carols etc then there's refreshments. I cleared the lounge ready for the tree going up tomorrow . And Naomi has started crawling this week so this will Be interesting

Oh boy, a crawling baby at Christmas!

I think we'll open stockings first, too. And I'll get up early enough to have our traditional breakfast. Now what for lunch after church? Maybe heavy snacks...

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #27
solatido
Rose Trellis

Kid shopping basically done, except stocking stuffers, and I'm under budget (especially since one item is homeschool, and I hadn't used all our homeschool scholarship)!
The Following User Says Thank You to solatido For This Useful Post:
weerach (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #28
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas seemed to come around very quickly this year, so I had a hard time getting into it. But we put up our trees and decorations (although not as much as last year) the day after Thanksgiving and I'm kind of loving the more simple decorations, and it's helping me to be more excited. I think the key for me this year is not to overschedule or overdecorate or overanything.

We have several activities that we like to do this season:
  • Put together gingerbread houses
  • See Christmas lights
  • Dinner out at a restaurant to celebrate Christmas
  • A random act of kindness
  • Each person choosing their own chocolate bar at the grocery store
  • Reading the Christmas story
  • This year we will go to church on Christmas morning
Unfortunately, I don't have anything purchased, but I'm thinking about it.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:44 PM   #29
weerach
Rose Garden

weerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond repute

I have almost all presents bought. The tree went up last night, almost all the decorations are made by the kids over the years or personalised ones from family with their names on. I love that. I have been gutting the house as I have been going and we got all my pictures hung up I'm putting the rest of the decorations up tomorrow. I'll hopefully be able to post some Pics then

Mr N 2009
Mr J 2010
Miss S 2013
Miss N - 2016

6 angels waiting with the Lord

"Looking off unto Jesus my spirit is blessed,
In the world i have turmoil ; In him i have rest,
While the sea of my life all about me may roar,
When i look unto Jesus i see it no more"
weerach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #30
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I'd say excited although Christmas is my favorite holiday. I'm
So swamped with other responsibilities that it is sneaking up on me. I don't want to decorate at all. I do have most of the gifts purchased though.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote