Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Come Discuss Living Math

Someone referred me to Living Math as a way to make mathematics living books friendly.

http://www.livingmath.net/LessonPlan...S/Default.aspx

I've been poking around the website, but I'm curious to hear if any others have used it and how you've implemented it.

I'm also wondering if you've bought the lesson plans, how you felt they were structured -- were they easy to implement, did it take a lot of effort -- or was the effort worth it.

‎"Don't they teach recreational maths anymore?"
~The Doctor
tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tigerlily For This Useful Post:
HomeWithMyBabies (10-15-2011)
Old 09-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Bonnie
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bonnie has disabled reputation
Default Re: Come Discuss Living Math

Mauka & Makai 12/29/08

Occasional "Dorm Mom" to M the wonder student

Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute

gentle

~The Doctor
Old 09-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
tigerlily
Rose Garden

Bueller.

~The Doctor
Old 09-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Bonnie
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Mauka & Makai 12/29/08

Old 09-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

Id be VERY interested in more info.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Maybe you're the first GCM to discover this and NO ONE has an opinion on it.

Is that even possible?

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
Bonnie (09-25-2011)
Old 09-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
Bonnie
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

I haven't had a chance to follow the link yet, but I'm intrigued.

Mauka & Makai 12/29/08

Old 09-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #8
tigerlily
Rose Garden

Well, I'm pretty sure the GCM who linked to it may know something about it. I'll go poke her.

Guess what? I found $$ in my Paypal account! I might be ordering it for kicks and giggles.

~The Doctor
Old 09-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #9
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE the living math -- I have used the reader suggestions, the game ideas and several of the learning ideas.

We have really enjoyed them but we do not use the lesson plans. I didn't know they came up with them and may look into that I have been using that site for . . . about 6 years. I started when my dd1 was in kindergarten and wanted to do "math" (in quotes because we are delight driven). The articles are FABULOUS as well and so encouraging plus they offer great info about how to keep math practical and use literature to reinforce concepts. Our library has a TON of these books and we also have asked librarians to keep an eye out for more concept books. We have a good relationship with our 2 libraries that we go to

This is a great place to start on the site.
http://www.livingmath.net/Articles/S...S/Default.aspx

I did print the sample lesson plans for primary and see what I think. A part of me thinks that it's not necessary. The reader lists and game lists as well as using "games for math" by Peggy Katz is what we have done. IN fact, having said that, I need to pull out games for Math. Our dd1 has been begging for math

We start teaching textbooks at grade 4 and don't do anything but fun "living math" up until then I usually add in some fun math read alouds but haven't done that in awhile

One of the reasons I suggested this is because it's a SUPER easy and super fun way for kids to do math and to also realize how important it is

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (09-26-2011), Codi (09-26-2011), HomeWithMyBabies (10-15-2011), JJsMom (09-26-2011), Serendipity (09-26-2011), tigerlily (09-26-2011)
Old 09-26-2011, 07:03 AM   #10
tigerlily
Rose Garden

Thanks!

Part of me deeply fears that I won't do it "right" or that I'll miss something awesome if I don't follow a prepared lesson plan -- peace of mind, ya know?

Especially since it's such a foreign concept to me.

Plus $20 isn't that much if I hate it.

~The Doctor
Old 09-26-2011, 07:05 AM   #11
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Thanks!

Part of me deeply fears that I won't do it "right" or that I'll miss something awesome if I don't follow a prepared lesson plan -- peace of mind, ya know?

Especially since it's such a foreign concept to me.

Plus $20 isn't that much if I hate it.
The only thing I don't like much is the history/math combo I am pondering it more but I like making math ALIVE not something from the past and I think my kids would have been bored like that. I printed the sample to look more closely but that's my first impression of it.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
Old 09-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #12
tigerlily
Rose Garden

So did you just pick and choose from the suggested reading or did you just use more of the game books and things. Did you not read any of the historical figure books?

Also curious what level of TT you jumped into at 4th grade.

~The Doctor
Old 09-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #13
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
So did you just pick and choose from the suggested reading or did you just use more of the game books and things. Did you not read any of the historical figure books?

Also curious what level of TT you jumped into at 4th grade.
We read some of the historical figure books but I didn't want them to see math as something historical. Not sure if I am communicating this correctly. I like them knowing how things developed but not to emphasize the history. Unless they are history buffs. My kids are not history buffs - although they really enjoy our current curriculum.

I used Peggy Katz' games for math and we did numerous readers and some of the games ideas. Honestly, I chose first by subject and second by what my library had available. I wasn't super picky as long as I was introducing subjects.

We used beans and grains to group/sort and I made easy games for them to play and flashcards. I also used some montessori things.

I also used Ruth Beechik's 3R's as a guide to what to introduce when for K to 3rd. We also have board games to reinforce concepts learned from books or homemade games.

We start on Teaching Textbook 4. My dd1 started it halfway through 4th grade - we tried Math U See and it wasn't working for her. DS (who has learning issues) started 4th grade at the end of 3rd grade. He was ready - it's actually the only thing he's "on grade" for and I find that ironic as we are SO relaxed That said, he has significant working memory issues which means he's allowed to use manipulatives to "figure out". He is VERY kinesthetic so the games/books/activities were RIGHT up his alley.

From what I've read MOST kids are VERY kinesthetic IRT math until they are in 4th grade when logic begins to develop!

As you can see, we use a tremendously eclectic approach - living math is just one thing that we "inserted" into our life .

Just to add - to me living math is more of a lifestyle that picking up their curriculum. . . . not sure if I am explaining that correctly but it is an approach so I was startled to see lesson plans this a.m. when you pointed it out Their website has been integral in helping us having a learning rich environment IRT math. . .

EDITED TO ADD: Anno's books (Mutsumasa ANno) are SO SO fun. At our house they are fun for all ages http://livingmath.net/LearningIdeas/...S/Default.aspx

Last edited by tempus vernum; 09-26-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
tigerlily
Rose Garden

I don't know if you looked at the lesson plans or not -- I think the idea is to give you an idea where to go and what books can tie together. Do you feel the website does that well enough on it's own? I get a little overwhelmed by the website.

Thanks for the reminder about Ruth Beechick -- I need to read that section again.

I want to make more of our subjects less "schooly" than they are feeling currently -- otherwise, why am I doing this homeschool thing, right?

But for me math and science are the hardest areas to do that.

~The Doctor
Old 09-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #15
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
I don't know if you looked at the lesson plans or not -- I think the idea is to give you an idea where to go and what books can tie together. Do you feel the website does that well enough on it's own? I get a little overwhelmed by the website.

Thanks for the reminder about Ruth Beechick -- I need to read that section again.

I want to make more of our subjects less "schooly" than they are feeling currently -- otherwise, why am I doing this homeschool thing, right?

But for me math and science are the hardest areas to do that.
I did look at the lesson plans and I wasn't impressed honestly

I think if you choose a topic from the drop down menu (addition/subtraction, memorizing facts, etc), you can find great info and go from there. I think making a list of what you want to cover and using the books as a springboard should be enough - but I do understand the desire to use a lesson plan and if you liked them, I say go for it

I made a scope and sequence using beechiks info and then used this site and games for math to make a "plan". We followed it pretty loosely and talked a TON. We did math in the car a lot (road games).

Science is easiest for me - we just go to museums, zoos, watch documentaries and animal shows, and pursue our interests from there. This year we are nature journaing with an actual plan

Math is a bit more challenging and why I used this site But it will work/look different for all families so I encourage you to do what you feel is best

The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
tigerlily (09-26-2011)