Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:12 AM   #46
momaich
Rose Bouquet

momaich is a jewel in the roughmomaich is a jewel in the roughmomaich is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Treading lightly on the earth

Quote:
We are avid (organic) gardeners and are SO close to haveing produce year round
Hey summertime! How are you managing this? I'd like to hear more about your gardening story. Thanks so much!!

When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek. Psalm 27:8
momaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:33 AM   #47
summertimeshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaich
Quote:
Hey summertime! How are you managing this? I'd like to hear more about your gardening story. Thanks so much!!
First thing is we live in Oregon and tend to have mild winters. We are also a part of a community co-op where we can trade things we have extra of for things we do not grow. (since dh LOVES to grow strange varieties of tomatoes...we always have a TON of these)
We have three methods that have increased the amount of produce which we grow.
#1 We begin seeds EARLY in a mini green house on out porch. Starting your own seeds allows you to begin gardening before veggie starts are out at the store. We also have investigated and planned out garden to assure that we are growing something for every season. Right now we have peas and onions we can harvest outside. Our goal is to have something we can pick at all times...granted summer is a bounty, but in fall and winter we stager starting squash. We always start early and keep going until winter takes over.
#2 We also garden inside. We have an unfinished basement in which we have hung a fluorescent light and a halide light that we use to grow summer veggies in the winter. We offset this extra power usage by trying to only ever have the light on in the room we are using. Our electric bill went up less then $5. We currently have a tomato, a hanging strawberry, bell peppers, and lettuce ready to harvest inside.
#3 We have our most attention needing plants by our front door (this is the door we use the most) By placing our plants in a place we walk by everyday we are able to see if anything needs our love...

As for being organic we use fish emoltion (sp?) at fertilizer (which is the smelliest stuff ever) . We use beer to catch the dang slugs that are so against our garden.

My recommendations to someone who would like to try the same thing - start early (NOW) and do research to see what grows in late fall/winter in your area. We have not figured out how to grow anything outside in dec-feb (which is why we started our indoor garden) but dh is working on that. Once we buy a home dh will build a permanent green house. Also protect your veggies during clod nights with cloth (burlap or old sheets)
Old 03-09-2007, 07:36 AM   #48
blossomnatalia

Quote:
Quote:
that is my dh 's dream too!! with the right greens in cooler months and such, he keeps saying that it should be farely easy...
Old 03-09-2007, 07:39 AM   #49
summertimeshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomnatalia
Quote:
Quote:
that is my dh 's dream too!! with the right greens in cooler months and such, he keeps saying that it should be farely easy...
It really is easy. I would have to say that the hardest part was in the kitchen. Some of the veggies were things I did not know how to cook. Our winter veggies are mainly squashes, potatoes, yams, kale, and lettus and I am not a big squash eater so I had to learn how to make them in a way that I would eat. It was very important to us so I kind of forced myself to learn.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:41 AM   #50
JavaMama
Rose Garden

JavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond repute

I keep thinking I'd like to go paperless billing... I already organize my bills in Excel and almost all of our bills are paid electronically though my bank. My bank statements come through my email.

If anyone wants to share how paperless billing works, I'd love to hear... do you get your statements via email?
Homebirthing mama and midwife

Always remembering my youngest brother JK, forever 14 months old
JavaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:39 AM   #51
blossomnatalia

yes ..they send you an e-mail that lets you know when your statement is ready online with the link to it. You can then pay with your card or your bank account and such...very easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by summertimeshine
It really is easy. I would have to say that the hardest part was in the kitchen. Some of the veggies were things I did not know how to cook. Our winter veggies are mainly squashes, potatoes, yams, kale, and lettus and I am not a big squash eater so I had to learn how to make them in a way that I would eat. It was very important to us so I kind of forced myself to learn.
[/quote]

Well we have not had a garden this last year because we bought this house and we were always on the move BUT we bought our veggies from our local organic farm and we pay $17 a week for a box full of veggies....(YUMMY, beautiful veggies!!! ) And we do not get to choose what you buy and that has taught SOOOOO much about cooking some veggies that I would have never bought or grown before!! She includes recipes with the box and you can also include your reipes for others to share. I have this!! (+you have to hurry and cook them that week because whether you are ready or not, you get a new box every week!! )
To be honnest, I almost don't want to start a garden...having access to cheap, organic, yummy veggies.....almost all year round

PS: have you tried squash soups (with 2-3 potatoes) it is an easy and YUMMY (for me) way to "get rid" of a lot of squash in one time....
Old 03-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #52
summertimeshine

Natalia, Our co-op does the veggie box too. We get one for exchange of our surplus. We in part began to garden because we do not enjoy mowing the lawn and it gets us outside more. That is where it started and it has grown from there.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:54 AM   #53
blossomnatalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by summertimeshine
We in part began to garden because we do not enjoy mowing the lawn and it gets us outside more. That is where it started and it has grown from there.
I hear you there!!
Old 03-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #54
herbalwriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghomeschooler
I bought a Divacup and LOVE it! I also bought some lunapanties- I honestly don't really need them with the cup, but wear them just in case.
I did this too! Forgot to mention it. I love it too.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:59 AM   #55
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ok..this might be a VERY DUMB question.....but why would it be harder to compost in the winter??
Is there something I am missing?
It gets too cold(freezes) and the organisms and bacteria can't do their work and break it down.
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #56
Irene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady TS
Quote:
Ok..this might be a VERY DUMB question.....but why would it be harder to compost in the winter??
Is there something I am missing?
It gets too cold(freezes) and the organisms and bacteria can't do their work and break it down.
yes, and for us, there is so much snow that we cant even get out to the box. dh doesnt really want a bunch of composting food next to our house either, because of the smell and also we dont want bears and stray dogs up close to the house
Old 03-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #57
herbalwriter

I composted for years but had to quit due to the raccoons, opossums, dogs, etc. that the pile attracted. I live in the woods in a rather rural area, and eventually I got a baby opossum in my basement and that was that.

Oh, and coyotes.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #58
blossomnatalia

well for us...it has not been a problem...
and we have not yet used our compost ...it is more of a way of disposing of our veggies right now..
We figure when it gets warm (which is starting already) it will start cooking again...
And maybe we will get to use it someday....

But yeah I could see how if you live in a very rural area it might be a problem...
Old 03-10-2007, 10:52 PM   #59
Irene

Quote:
it is more of a way of disposing of our veggies right now.. giggle
yeah, thats kind of how it is for us right now too. We havent actually been able to use it yet, Im sure it would be fine to freeze and then work in the summer. I just dont know where I would put it all. I am thinking maybe even a big garbage can with a sturdy lid or something, but a bear even took off with one of those last year so
Old 03-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #60
JavaMama
Rose Garden

JavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah
I composted for years but had to quit due to the raccoons, opossums, dogs, etc. that the pile attracted. I live in the woods in a rather rural area, and eventually I got a baby opossum in my basement and that was that.

Oh, and coyotes.
We have a compost bin somewhat like this for $25 from our local coop, they did a preorder on them and the price was great. Ours isn't being used just yet, we'll be starting in a month or so (back door isn't usable right now) but my parents live in the country and have two of them- they use them year around and they don't have problems with critters.
Homebirthing mama and midwife

Always remembering my youngest brother JK, forever 14 months old
JavaMama is offline   Reply With Quote