Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #16
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Dobson better with older kids (tween & up)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpmommy View Post
right, i understand that. but what if John Doe (dad to tweens & teens)were to pick up one of his teen books having never read any of his other books.
Then, yes, it would be full of practical advice, but also the assumption that the teenage years will be full of rebellion. I didn't rebel, but my parents were heavily influenced that it was inevitable so I must just have hidden it better than other kids. It was quite frustrating to never be truly known by my own parents and not able to earn the amount of trust I deserved until I was an adult.

-----

About the influence of being adversaries with younger children on the parents later, I've seen it as my parents having their maturity stunted by Dobson influence. They are told by Dobson it is right and virtuous for them to fight these battles to the win. They should've learned to be more easy going during the time they had younger children, but they're elderly now and they're still having battles of will with their dogs.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
DaltonsMomma (10-22-2011), MaybeGracie (10-18-2011), PrincessAnika (10-18-2011), Sparrow (10-18-2011), StoryOfGrace (10-18-2011), Tasmanian Saint (10-20-2011), tazmom (10-18-2011), Zooey (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #17
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder what would happen though, if Dobson asked why the mom thought the girl was too young to shave her legs? Does he teacher parents how to evaluate their rules, to see if they really are valuable. Does Dobson understand that a 12 y/o girl with hairy legs is super conscious of her legs, and maybe her mother could have some sympathy rather than putting on the boxing gloves?

If another mom here posted that her daughter wanted to shave her legs at 12, and she thought it was too young, I'd wonder why? And work from there.

Keep in mind that my mom was shocked and horrified when she found out that at 13, I was shaving my legs and armpits.

I think I have a really, really, biased view

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Domina (10-18-2011), dulce de leche (10-21-2011), rjy9343 (10-20-2011), StoryOfGrace (10-18-2011), tazmom (10-18-2011), Zooey (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #18
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I wonder what would happen though, if Dobson asked why the mom thought the girl was too young to shave her legs? Does he teacher parents how to evaluate their rules, to see if they really are valuable. Does Dobson understand that a 12 y/o girl with hairy legs is super conscious of her legs, and maybe her mother could have some sympathy rather than putting on the boxing gloves?
those are good points.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #19
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

I think if my daughter or son wanted to shave, I'd show them the proper way to do it, rather than just fight against it. IME, they're going to do it anyway. I wanted to when I was 10, but no one would teach me. So I did it myself. I can still see the scar going up my shin from where I cut myself..

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hey mommy For This Useful Post:
MomtoJGJ (10-18-2011), PrincessAnika (10-18-2011), ReedleBeetle (10-20-2011), Sparrow (10-18-2011), Zooey (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #20
StoryOfGrace
Rose Garden

INFP...Don't mind me!

StoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing, because this is good stuff!

"Nobody knows what we're for only what we're against when we judge the wounded.
What if we put down our signs, crossed over the lines, and loved like You did?
"
~Casting Crowns

StoryOfGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #21
klpmommy
Deactivated

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey mommy View Post
I think if my daughter or son wanted to shave, I'd show them the proper way to do it, rather than just fight against it.
I would, too. Because in the overall scheme of things, it is so minor. But I was surprised that it came from Dobson with my basic feelings of "don't sweat the small stuff" when it comes to parenting. That's where my curiousity comes in.
The Following User Says Thank You to klpmommy For This Useful Post:
Sparrow (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #22
mom24

I'd never heard of Dobson or read any of his books for younger children. I have a large library of parenting books (all positive and gentle thankfully), but somehow missed any punitive ones mostly by luck. I almost bought every parenting book I came across in an effort to understand my children's "difficult" behavior. A year ago or so someone gave me his Bringing up Girls. I flicked though it and thought it looked good. It seemed to emphasize spending time with your daughters and had a lot about how important the Father/daughter relationship is. I think it is geared more towards teens. I didn't see any punitive thinking (or maybe I just missed it because I wasn't expecting it). I never did get around to actually reading all of it, I'm not sure why. Since reading about him on here I probably won't. I don't want any of his thinking to subconsciously sink into my brain.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
klpmommy (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #23
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

I haven't read any of Dobson's materials for older children. I suppose if you had no experience with his pre-established pov with authority, wills and battles that you could get decent stuff out of it if you didn't have a spirited child and already have a relational foundation with your child.

I've only read his stuff for youngers and it nearly destroyed the relationship I have with my oldest. With that history I couldn't pick up a Dobson book and spit out the bones for the meat.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Zooey (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #24
Thankfulforgrace
Rose Garden

Thankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'll say that I'm surprised he said that. Was he sure it was Dobson?

Now I haven't read stuff for parenting teens/tweens but I read his books directed towards teens. What icky, icky stuff. Messed me up.
Thankfulforgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thankfulforgrace For This Useful Post:
melliethepooh (10-18-2011), Sparrow (10-18-2011), Zooey (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #25
klpmommy
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankfulforgrace View Post
Yeah, I'll say that I'm surprised he said that. Was he sure it was Dobson?
That's a *very* good question. B/c it did come off as totally off character for Dr. Dobson. And hence my post.

The pastor didn't say "Yes, I'm 100% sure this is Dobson" But I *am* sure the pastor credited him.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #26
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

We can put it to rest (sorta)

The psychologist's method is a mix of traditional parenting, biblical insights, and basic psychology--a traditionalism humanized by common sense and flexibility. His advice to a mother and 12-year-old daughter fighting bitterly over whether the young girl should be allowed to shave her legs: "Lady, buy your daughter a razor!"

I cut it from this site, link broken because I don't know what else is on here.

http://www.skeptictank.org /hs/dobson.htm

and

I'm reminded of a waitress who recognized me when I came into the restaurant where she worked. As a single mother, she had recently gone through severe struggles with her 12-year-old daughter, whom she identified as being very strong-willed.

"We have fought tooth and nail for this entire year," she said. "We argue nearly every night, and most of our fights are over the same issue."

I asked her what had caused the conflict, and she replied, "My daughter is still a little girl but she wants to shave her legs. I feel she's too young to be doing that and she becomes so angry that she won't even talk to me. This has been the worst year of our lives."

It is actually an article by Dobson. I won't post the link here, not sure if I can? But he said it.

Mama to:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
klpmommy (10-18-2011), PrincessAnika (10-18-2011), Zooey (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #27
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

You can post the link providing that it is not an active link. In order to prevent that, make sure you have a dash (-) right in front of the link without any spaces.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
Sparrow (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #28
joysworld
Deactivated

~I choose joy~

joysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandjmommy View Post
I think the key phrase is "save this kind of battle" -- no matter the age, Dobson promotes an adversarial relationship -- parent vs. child. Even though letting her shave her legs to save the relationship seems like a great idea, it's not left at that -- the last direction feels like an urging to store up your ammo to force your way on them in bigger "battles".
I see it as more of picking your battles.
joysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joysworld For This Useful Post:
klpmommy (10-18-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #29
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Please remember that what a parent does with a teaching is not the same as the teaching - hopefully that's not clear as mud Yes, Dobson is adversarial, but no where near the extreme of Ezzo or Pearl.

I am sure there is no where that Dobson would indicate that a disagreement over clothing choice is a reason for war, only that when the 'battle is engaged, the parent must win'.

The core problem we have with that as non-punitive parents is that we believe in exercising our authority when necessary and in a way that is built on a trusting and solid relationship first, rather than dominance.

If someone had told me Ezzo or Pearl had made that comment I would be beyond shocked. Dobson, I can see it.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (10-20-2011), Heather Micaela (10-23-2011), klpmommy (10-20-2011), StoryOfGrace (10-20-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #30
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
I am sure there is no where that Dobson would indicate that a disagreement over clothing choice is a reason for war, only that when the 'battle is engaged, the parent must win'.
I've seen him tell a woman to spank her daughter, for not wanting to wear her Sunday dress. In that instance it was disobedience.

Mama to: