Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
Lantern Light Mama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

A.K.A. joyinthspirit

Lantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond repute
Default How can you misread a book? really?

I had been following the story of the lady who used to own the No Greater Joy facebook page. She experienced a huge change of heart and deleted her page. Then they created a new one. I was curious as I peeked over there. They say that people who abuse children just "read the book wrong" that Michael and Debi Pearl do not tell people to spank infants then I noticed a few post down there was a contradictory post with someone else who was praising No Greater Joy because they had started it at 8 months. Now further up you see Michael and Debi Pearl say not to use it on a ten month old, then scroll down and read someone us using it on an 8 month old . Now I am not one to stalk pages I don't agree with but why can people not see their contradictions?
Lantern Light Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantern Light Mama For This Useful Post:
Stiina (10-10-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
dulce de leche
Climbing Rose

dulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can you misread a book? really?

IRT the Pearls, they have a lot of contradictory double-speak. They say that training and discipline are separate, but they both mean hitting with a switch. So the reality is that they advocate hitting at 4 months, they just don't call it that.

13 years with Mi Amado
Dd ~ 1/04
Ds ~ 1/06
Dd ~ 6/08
Dd ~ 7/10
dulce de leche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dulce de leche For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (10-10-2011), CelticJourney (10-23-2011), DancingWithElves (10-10-2011), PrincessAnika (10-09-2011), Rabbit (10-10-2011), Stiina (10-10-2011), Zooey (10-09-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
Lantern Light Mama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

A.K.A. joyinthspirit

Lantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond repute

Lantern Light Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantern Light Mama For This Useful Post:
Stiina (10-10-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
dulce de leche
Climbing Rose

dulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond repute

http://minichfamilyblog.blogspot.com...of-pearls.html

13 years with Mi Amado
Dd ~ 1/04
Ds ~ 1/06
Dd ~ 6/08
Dd ~ 7/10
Old 10-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
mountainash
Rose Garden

mountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond repute

NGJ created a new page or the person who took the page down did?
Old 10-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute

i think its someone else (not the lady who had the one that was just shut down) and its not quite the exact same title as the old one - i think there's a dash in it somewhere.
Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
jubles
Deactivated

jubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant futurejubles has a brilliant future

Yes, I've been following this on FB a bit as well. The mod of the old "To Train Up a Child Book" had a change of heart and closed the page. Someone else (don't think it's the Pearls) set up a new one. The double speak is really remarkable among Pearlites, it seems. "A small baby is too young to discipline, but they can be conditioned."
jubles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jubles For This Useful Post:
Stiina (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
sarahbeth

I haven't been able to get on here much since having my baby and am completely devastated at the news of this little girl.

I know the Pears advocate hitting with the plumbing tool, but do they really advocate starvation, cold showers and leaving them alone OUTSIDE in the freezing cold for hours?!? I just can't wrap my mind around that.

God bless this sweet little girl. I'm so glad she is safe now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
MercyInDisguise (10-10-2011), Stiina (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #9
dulce de leche
Climbing Rose

SarahBeth, they sort of do. They advocate hosing kids off outside in the cold for toileting accidents, and making kids go hungry to train them to eat what is in front of them even if it is gross. They expect that it will only take a few days of this kind of treatment, not months, but they don't really give limits, either. It is their whole "defeat your child at any cost" mentality. Hermana Linda and Tulip Girl both have excellent recent posts with quotes from TTUAC on this.

13 years with Mi Amado
Dd ~ 1/04
Ds ~ 1/06
Dd ~ 6/08
Dd ~ 7/10
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dulce de leche For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (10-10-2011), Stiina (10-10-2011), Zooey (10-12-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
sarahbeth

I had forgotten about witholding food for not liking meals and the potty training thing. I have only skimmed the book, never actually read it in detail.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Stiina (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute

It is really easy to misread a book if you're reading it in an effort to try to justify what you are or want to be doing. People do it with the Bible all the time (i.e. the Pearls!).
CelticJourney (10-23-2011), DancingWithElves (10-10-2011), Maggirayne (10-10-2011), Rabbit (10-10-2011), ronioli (10-10-2011), Stiina (10-10-2011), StoryOfGrace (10-11-2011), tempestjewel (10-12-2011), Zooey (10-12-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
mountainash
Rose Garden

mountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond repute

It's obedience at all costs. For a lot of parents it never gets to the extreme. But those who have strong-willed children and have to keep upping the ante, experience a lot of shame. They keep the extremes they're going to secret because they often believe it's their fault that their child is so unruly.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mountainash For This Useful Post:
Maggirayne (10-10-2011), momyshaver (10-10-2011), Stiina (10-10-2011), Tasmanian Saint (10-12-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

I think if there are so many people 'misreading' the book...there's something wrong with the book.
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
Damselfly (10-10-2011), homesteadmama (10-10-2011), momyshaver (10-10-2011), StoryOfGrace (10-11-2011), Zooey (10-12-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #14
mrsd
Rose Trellis

mrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall any 'suggestions' on cold showers or leaving children outside in the cold. In one book or article, there was an eleven month old baby who would not eat a squash and spinach mixture for breakfast and pushed the bowl away. The 'wise' mommy took the good old plumbing supply line and hit the baby with it, then put the squash/ spinach mixure in the refrigerator until supper time and served it again. According to Debi, the baby was 'glad to eat it". I think going from breakfast until dinner (up to 10 hours) is too much for such a small baby.
mrsd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsd For This Useful Post:
malakoa (10-10-2011), rjy9343 (10-28-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #15
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiina View Post

I think if there are so many people 'misreading' the book...there's something wrong with the book.
So is there something wrong with the Bible?
malakoa (10-10-2011), Stiina (10-10-2011)