Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Hobbies and Crafts *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Hobbies and Crafts *Public* The place to talk about crafts, sewing, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.
A public forum.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:59 AM   #1
princesspoet
Rose Trellis

Soft kitty/ warm kitty/little ball of fur/happy kitty/sleepy kitty / purr purr purr :-)

princesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond repute
Default I want to be a stereotype!

Knitting preggo lady!

The thing is I can't knit! I tried but I can't understand any books or YouTube vids I am clueless. Can someone help?

In love & in life with my sixth form sweetheart
Mum to
8.5 year old DS1 ~ E
5 year old DS2 ~ L
Currently growing ~ a girl due in June

princesspoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:12 AM   #2
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to be a stereotype!

Oh, I wish I could come visit you with my daughters, and they could help you learn! lol I know that's not helpful. I do truly wish we could, though.

I think it's great you want to knit! I bet someone here will have good ideas for you. I'm just a newbie, but knitting is fun.

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flowermama For This Useful Post:
GraceLikeRain (04-10-2014), princesspoet (04-10-2014), RubySlippers (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 03:01 AM   #3
princesspoet
Rose Trellis

Soft kitty/ warm kitty/little ball of fur/happy kitty/sleepy kitty / purr purr purr :-)

princesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond reputeprincesspoet has a reputation beyond repute

That would be neat. Seems everyone has a piece of the puzzle I just can't get my head around! I tried crochet but ended up either a very long string coz I couldn't figure out how to get to the next line

Mum to
8.5 year old DS1 ~ E
5 year old DS2 ~ L

The Following User Says Thank You to princesspoet For This Useful Post:
flowermama (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 03:06 AM   #4
Marrae
Moderator in Tweens & Teens, Teens & Beyond, the Cookbook, Let's Talk, Drawing Closer, and Bible Study
I support GCM!

The presence of the Holy Spirit is the keystone of all our hopes

Marrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond repute

I can knit a bit but not crochet. Maybe we should meet up for 'knowledge exchange', lol!

wife (dh A, *~ 33 ~ * years) mother (dd G 29, ds D 25)

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8 : 28

Marrae is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marrae For This Useful Post:
princesspoet (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

can you find someone irl who knits? many librarys have knitting classes too. it did help me to see it in person first, so that later when i watched the youtube videos they made more sense to me.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2014, 07:12 AM   #6
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a wool shop locally, they often run, or know of, classes.

Some people find they learn better from books rather than videos. I do great with youtube but cant understand books . The downside is that most of the youtube tutorials are from the US, so I crochet in American which is fine, as most of the patterns I use are american too. It's just tricky when I'm talking to other UK crafters and they're all or I'm using a pattern I picked up locally.
Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Earthmummy07 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #7
light of mine
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Baby smooches

light of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond repute

I am trying to teach myself knitting too. I have found knittinghelp.com very useful. I've tried a few books, but I do better with the videos. Something that helps me is watching lots of different videos if I am having trouble seeing something, I just go to youtube and type in what I am having trouble with and see what pops up.

I am still a big newbie, but I am having fun making dishcloths and practicing stitches.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:24 AM   #8
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

here are links to knitting help. they were are usually my go to videos, so maybe these will help?

Getting started for beginners set of videos

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2014, 07:36 AM   #9
Ramee151
Rose Blossom

Ramee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to behold

I'm a crochet-er...and guessing you are from some of the other comments...

I'm utterly flabbergasted at knitting. I've been told that it can be hard to do both (but that could just be people be kind to my difficulties )

I've found a ton of cute baby patterns in crochet--I'd be happy to share some if that would be helpful
Ramee151 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ramee151 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #10
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

*rubs hands together, chortles* Another soon-to-be-knitter!!!

Seriously, I love knittinghelp.com - but another great resource that I stumbled across is http://knitfreedom.com/learn-to-knit

Liat makes very clear, very easy-to-follow videos - this is her career, so they aren't all free, but the learn-to-knit one is.
Wonder Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wonder Woman For This Useful Post:
flowermama (04-10-2014), GraceLikeRain (04-10-2014), houseforjoy (04-10-2014), knitlove (04-13-2014), mom2boys (04-13-2014), princesspoet (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #11
light of mine
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Baby smooches

light of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond repute

If you have crocheted before, you definitely should try knitting continental-style (left hand holds the yarn instead of right). It seems way more natural to me since that is the way I normally hold the yarn for crochet, made it a lot easier. I think the first battle of knitting is just getting the coordination down for it which IME takes some practice.
believer (04-10-2014), knitlove (04-13-2014), princesspoet (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #12
princesspoet
Rose Trellis

Me a crotchet-er a failed one?

Continental style would that be European? If so that suits me perfectly.

Thank you all for the resources and encouragement now to find where I stashed my needles!

Mum to
8.5 year old DS1 ~ E
5 year old DS2 ~ L

Old 04-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #13
Ramee151
Rose Blossom

Ramee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspoet View Post
Me a crotchet-er a failed one?

Continental style would that be European? If so that suits me perfectly.

Thank you all for the resources and encouragement now to find where I stashed my needles!
Sorry I misunderstood
Ramee151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #14
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

You can do it, you can do it!!!

(We are all such enablers!)
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #15
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

When I learned I did two things - went to my local yarn store and got irl help AND got a kids book on knitting....it was just my speed.

It's been nice to go into the store and get help with projects as the years have gone by.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
princesspoet (04-14-2014)