Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Gardening *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gardening *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Watering to keep water bill down in drought

I love to garden and have actually expanded my garden this year, but I'm incredibly worried about the water bill. The water bill from last year went up significantly. Our summers are incredibly hot and dry. I'm not sure how long we've been in a drought now but it's been at least two years, I think. We are on water rationing quite often. We've not gotten much from the garden to speak of because of it. Last year I planted early in March which helped to get a good crop before the summer burned a bunch of stuff out.

This year I have decided to the Back to Eden style garden backtoedenfilm.com/ and have woodchip mulched all of my garden beds. I'm hoping that that will help hold some moisture in. I pretty much do square-foot gardening in how I space my plants.

I'm not sure I can afford/setup a drip hose system which I think might be one idea to conserve water.

I thought I had seen somewhere where someone used pots with lots of drip holes sunk part way into the soil. Then you fill up the pots with the hose and then let the water soak slowly into the soil to water the garden. Has anybody done this? Does it work? How many and what size pots would one need per measurement of the garden? I'm a little worried that it would take up a lot of space that I could plant in but maybe that's what I need to do to afford the water bill. Any thoughts? I can't seem to find anything online.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Watering to keep water bill down in drought

can you reuse water? like after bath time take buckets and fill up sprinkling cans to water, and catch the water from your washing machine? the soaps and stuff from bath water would be fine, but depending on your laundry detergent you might just want to catch the rinse water

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
charla (02-04-2013), Rabbit (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Teribear
Deactivated

Teribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have rain barrels already? A lot of folks I know make a strong effort to capture runoff in order to minimize their water consumption.
Teribear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teribear For This Useful Post:
charla (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

I buried 2 liter bottles with holes poked in them next to my plants and would fill those up once a week. It worked pretty well, till I stopped filling them :P I've also just flung the washer drain hose out the window and duct taped a funnel and hose to it, just moved the hose to the area that needed water. But I live in the ghetto and can get away with such nonsense.
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JessicaTX For This Useful Post:
charla (02-04-2013), delightedmama (02-04-2013), Quiteria (02-08-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
cindergretta
Deactivated

My miracle blessing who brings tears to my eyes!

cindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond repute

I love this thread. I am learning a lot. Great ideas!!!

(Taking notes... )
cindergretta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cindergretta For This Useful Post:
charla (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I looked into rain barrels but at the time couldn't afford one. Maybe it would pay for itself though. I'm not sure how well it would work if we hardly ever have rain.

I could maybe bucket out bath water. I'm a little leary of the soap/shampoo/conditioner/shaving gel in the water. So it really doesn't hurt?

I'm not sure how to make the laundry water catchable. Would 7th generation laundry soap be bad? I also make my own from borax, washing soda and ivory soap. Would that be bad? We live in a situation where we need to keep things looking as neat as possible so that's a consideration as well.

Can you tell me more about pop bottles? Did you put one per big plant like tomatoes, peppers, etc.? Did you use it for smaller crops like leaf lettuce, radishes, beets, etc.? How did you space them for these kinds of plants? I think watering once a week would be ideal. I was having to water every other day last season to keep my plants alive. Maybe this type of watering with the woodchip mulch would keep the plants happier longer.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 02-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...118288694.html

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/gray-water1.htm

here is more info on bath and washing machine water. but yes all that stuff is safe to use

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

you just have to be aware while "catching" washing machine water. you can plug the sink it goes into as long as you know it won't over flow, and then just scoop it out. but most sinks won't hold 2 washing machine fulls of water which means it won't hold a wash and a rinse cycle so you have to make sure to empty it inbetween or just plug it as soon as it is drained from the wash cycle.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
charla (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

One pop bottle per big plant and one for each container. The 1 liter bottles have to be filled more often, the 2 liter one seemed best for me.

Oh look, other people had my idea! http://lifehacker.com/5906073/repurp...igation-system
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JessicaTX For This Useful Post:
charla (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
charla
Administrator

Both of those articles on gray water seem to caution against using it on edible plants. It seems fine to water the lawn, trees and bushes (which we don't water at all) and flowers. I suppose I could water the flower pots with it and that would save a little bit of water.

I'm thinking about using the pop bottle irrigation. I wonder how much plastic would leach into the garden from that. I'm thinking of turning it over so the top is in the ground since it's smaller. At least that's what I remember. I haven't had a pop bottle in the house for quite awhile. I'm going to have to ask people to save them for me.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 02-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen the sunken bottle/pot trick used very successfully in hot and dry subSaharan Africa. Use unglazed pottery, and cover the neck after filling. You can google terra cotta pot irrigation for all kinds of ways to do it.

I'm not afraid of using grey water, either, when I know exactly what it's coming from. Grey water can get dangerous when it's a large scale project from multiple users, to feed multiple families.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (02-08-2013), charla (02-04-2013), delightedmama (02-08-2013), Macky (02-07-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
Transformed

You can also look at wicking beds and keyhole gardens. These are both raised bed types, used mostly for growing food (but there's no reason they can't be used for other types of plants too.

A wicking bed is a raised garden bed that is lined with plastic. A layer of drainage material like rocks is put down at the bottom, then a layer of weed mat, followed by soil, compost and newspaper layers, then you plant and mulch. The idea is that excess water will drain through to the bottom, but can still be drawn up into the top of the bed as needed.

In some African countries, keyhole gardens have allowed them to produce food with minimal water. It's shaped like a circle with a segment missing, so you can reach the middle. At the centre, a 'basket' allows space for compost and water to go in, where it breaks down and feeds and waters the garden. Again, it's a raised garden bed, with a draining layer, followed by layers of soil, compost, newspaper, etc.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
charla (02-04-2013), delightedmama (02-08-2013), Lady TS (02-08-2013), Rabbit (02-04-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

I use drip irrigation. We live in a desert and get little to no rain in the summer. I have to rain barrels that I bought on sale (still an investment) and that helped a lot. It's just too bad b/c we get a bit of rain in the spring and then I don't have enough to store it for when I need it in the summer. We have surface water irrigation (diverted from the river) so the water is "free" (we pay an annual access fee) for outside water but it's not my favourite to use b/c it's full of pesticide runoff from the surrounding orchards, so I do what I can to conserve water.
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canadiyank For This Useful Post:
charla (02-07-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #13
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite the desert, but we on the prairies are no strangers to drought, often years at a time. Most farming done here (including by my in-laws) is dryland farming; irrigated fields are few and far between. My MIL doesn't water her garden at all anymore once everything has germinated. DH says that when he was a kid, they would flood the garden once a season and that's all it would get, even if it didn't rain. (My in-laws have to haul all the water for the house and cattle by truck, so it's pretty precious stuff.)

We have permission from our neighbours to water from their dugout (man-made ditch/pond) since he doesn't need it anymore for filling his farm machinery (he dug a new one a few years ago closer to their farmyard). Essentially, it's like having a REALLY big rain barrel. If we were in the city, we wouldn't hesitate to use a rain barrel system. Rain water is a lot better for your garden than chlorinated city water or well water that's often shockingly cold and hard (in the pH sense).

Regardless of where your water comes from and how it's applied, if you're having to water every other day, you're doing it wrong (or you have rapidly-draining soil). By watering that often, the water is staying in the top few inches of soil and being used up by the plants before it soaks down any further. Roots stay where the water is. For plants to be able to withstand drought, they have to be allowed to search deep for moisture. When you water, water slowly, but for a long time, until it soaks down really deep. Then you have to let it dry out. Really. Don't water again unless you poke your finger down into the dirt and it's dry a couple of inches down. That will train your plants to send roots further down and those roots will be better positioned to help the plant withstand drought.
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
canadiyank (02-08-2013), charla (02-08-2013), delightedmama (02-08-2013), Lady TS (02-08-2013), Quiteria (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #14
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #15
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

My shower takes about 2 gallons to get hot before I ever get in. I stick a bucket under the shower and transfer it to empty gallon jugs. Doing that all year nets me more water than I can use.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MarynMunchkins For This Useful Post:
Aisling (02-16-2013), Auroras mom (02-08-2013), Can'tTurnLeft (02-08-2013), charla (02-08-2013), raining_kisses (02-08-2013)