Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 03-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #106
Dana Joy
Deactivated

AKA "Mommy Piadosa" or on FB "PunkHippyMommy"

Dana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's wrong with Sugar? Convince me it's poison, please?

Get to work!
Dana Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #107
April G
Deactivated

April G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy
Get to work!
You talking to me? Caught me...
April G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #108
Myrtle
Rose Garden

Myrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplegirl
(as i'm sipping on my morning coffee with 1 tsp of sugar that i NOW know will supress my immune system for up to 4 hours).....i've got a few questions...

I know I could pick up a book, and I've written a few of these books down on my book wish list. I'm just wondering, to cut out completely, does this mean one has to not buy anything in a box or jar? We eat lots of cereal and although I look at the labels for the nasty fake ingrediants, they all seem to have some sugar. There's sugar in most sauces that I buy. I KNOW it would be better to make everything from scratch...but the truth is, I'm just not there yet. Buying things already boxed and jarred is just the way it's going to be with us for awhile. Are there ways to shop better? I try to buy things that say "no sugar added". Ugh, this is a lot to process...

And organiquegal...I'm totally with ya! I can convince myself of all the other bad things and cut those out, but I'm just not convinced about the evil of sugar yet....I realize a large amount is yucky...but I try to maintain low levels. I'm just trying to fool myself I guess!
I just bolded the parts that stood out to me. It's amazing how much sugar we actually do consume, apart from the obvious chocolate chip cookies and cheesecakes. Sugar is in everything. And if it isn't, then high fructose corn syrup is. It's in Rice Krispies! They don't even taste sweet, but there it is.

Quote:
USDA advises people who eat a 2,000-calorie healthful diet to try to limit themselves to about 10 teaspoons of added sugars per day. In fact, the average American does not eat a healthful diet, but consumes 20 teaspoons of added sugars per day.
http://www.cspinet.org/new/sugar.html

*Try* to limit yourself to 10 tsps of *added* sugars a day? Ummm, that's a lot of sugar. Pour 10 tsp of sugar on your counter and see what they're really recommending. And they're talking about people who actually are already eating a healthy diet.

Quote:
Many individual foods provide large fractions of the USDA's recommended sugar limits. For instance, a typical cup of fruit yogurt provides 70 percent of a day's worth of added sugar; a cup of regular ice cream provides 60 percent, a 12-ounce Pepsi provides 103 percent, a Hostess Lemon Fruit Pie provides 115 percent, a serving of Kellogg's Marshmallow Blasted Froot Loops provides 40 percent, and a quarter-cup of pancake syrup provides 103 percent.
One soda, and I've already exceeded the limit! It was really eye opening when I tried to eliminate sugar from my diet and realized just how much I truly consumed.

Oh, and one other quote:
Quote:
The UN's World Health Organization has launched an international campaign to cut consumption of refined sugar, which it says is the principal culprit in the current epidemic of obesity and its associated diseases, diabetes and cardiovascular disorders.

Americans, who comprise only 5% of the world's population, account for a whopping 33% of total global sugar consumption - over 10 million tons annually.
http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0125-01.htm
10 million tons annually. Wow.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #109
Iansmama

[quote][Oh, and one other quote:

The UN's World Health Organization has launched an international campaign to cut consumption of refined sugar, which it says is the principal culprit in the current epidemic of obesity and its associated diseases, diabetes and cardiovascular disorders.

Americans, who comprise only 5% of the world's population, account for a whopping 33% of total global sugar consumption - over 10 million tons annually. http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0125-01.htm
10 million tons annually. Wow.
/quote]

And that certainly explains why we have to spend way more on health care per person than any other country and yet we have terrible overall health ratings. We keep eating more and more processed and refined foods and spending more and more on health care only to keep getting less healthy.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #110
happyfamily

I would definitely suggest reading the book that LisaM suggested...it will give you a totally different outlook on sugar for sure!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #111
April G
Deactivated

April G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond repute

Update: Sugar free since Feb 26. Had one small intentional "free sugar" moment Saturday night, but went right back to being sugar free the next day... Loving this! Thanks everyone for helping me make this change.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #112
Maggie
Deactivated

love

Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond repute

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #113
Garland
Rose Trellis

Garland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #114
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by organiquegal
Update: Sugar free since Feb 26. Had one small intentional "free sugar" moment Saturday night, but went right back to being sugar free the next day... Loving this! Thanks everyone for helping me make this change.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #115
Rose5000
Climbing Rose

Rose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud of

But I wanna know what benefits you have seen?!!
Old 04-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #116
April G
Deactivated

Sitting here drinking a coke.

I was able to be sugar free for a couple of weeks, and then life sort of caught up with me and I stopped being vigilant about it. It's a lot of work!

The major benefits I saw were that my appetite was nil, my energy levels were more consistent, and I had very few cravings...
Old 04-06-2009, 06:29 AM   #117
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The major benefits I saw were that my appetite was nil, my energy levels were more consistent, and I had very few cravings...
Those are great things! Gives me hope! I can't even imagine how hard it must be, don't beat yourself up
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #118
April G
Deactivated

It's weird... the hardest part of going sugar free is dealing with the stigma of it... you know? People look at me like I have 5 heads when I tell them I don't eat sugar or white stuff... My darling sweet hubby misses our sweet treats together... Socially, this is not an easy thing to do. Oh, and I hate drawing attention to myself, which inevitably happens when I'm sugar free in a social situation.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #119
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's weird... the hardest part of going sugar free is dealing with the stigma of it... you know? People look at me like I have 5 heads when I tell them I don't eat sugar or white stuff... My darling sweet hubby misses our sweet treats together... Socially, this is not an easy thing to do. Oh, and I hate drawing attention to myself, which inevitably happens when I'm sugar free in a social situation.
This happens any time you move away from the Standard American Diet. We eat according to DS's food allergies, and we get the same reactions.

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:50 AM   #120
momaich
Rose Bouquet

momaich is a jewel in the roughmomaich is a jewel in the roughmomaich is a jewel in the rough

Great thread. Does anyone read Body Ecology information? I like what they have to say about sweeteners. I do wonder if we candida sufferers have a harder time with sugar. I often think alcoholics are really overcome with candida, but why some people overdose on sugar and others on alcohol, I don't know.
I was sugar free for a while and it was hard that first week-my head was killing me and I was SO Tired. However, I have really cleaned up my diet all around over the past year and I find that when I overindulge in sugar/flour my head hurts so bad immediately, that I really don't want to do it much. Even cow's milk gives me a headache. So, once you work sugar out, it does make it hard to cheat. I wonder what causes the headaches though? Thinking of all my sugar free, or should I say anti sugar sisters.

When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek. Psalm 27:8
momaich is offline   Reply With Quote