Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public* > GD Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

GD Info and FAQs *Public* The new home for most of the GD stickies. :)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
GCM_Sticky
master maker of stickies

GCM_Sticky has disabled reputation
Default Collected Past Posts about Cleaning Up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: I did it! I did it!
Post by: Radosny Matka on April 17, 2005, 05:49:32 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm feeling pretty proud of myself tonight, so I just had to share.     I turned what could have been a major struggle into something positive.  Tonight we had to pick up the toys.  It was a HUGE job.  We focused our attention on other (much needed) things besides picking up toys.  Nathaniel started out helping well.  He got 3/4's of the way through the job and stopped helping.  He was jumping over toys.  I could tell that he was tired of picking up toys.  I couldn't blame him.  So was I.    I tried the empathy technique in Becky's book.  It totally didn't work.  I tried it again.  He told me, "I don't want to pick up the toys."  I didn't know what to do, so I sat down with him and hugged him.  He started screaming and protesting.  I was getting frustrated and thought about just taking away the rest of the toys.  But, he did so well for the first 3/4's, I didn't want to turn all his previous hard work into frustration for next time.  I stepped back and said, "this isn't working.  I want to teach him.  What can I do to help him pick up the toys."  I then started tickling him and announced that we were taking a "2 minute fun break."  We tickled and played for 2 minutes.  I then announced that the fun break was over and directed him to a toy.  He got up and put it away.     After we were done, I praised him well and we had a few more minutes of tickle time.       

Title: Re: I did it! I did it!
Post by: sadie on April 17, 2005, 06:02:28 PM

and 

That's great!     I think taking a break is an excellent idea.  I do the same thing when I am sick of cleaning.  A quick rest recharges me and I am ready to tackle the job anew. 

Post by: milkmommy on April 17, 2005, 09:30:56 PM

Excellent! and your teaching him a skill he can use forever.
  Deanna

Post by: ArmsOfLove on April 17, 2005, 10:00:06 PM

That's so awesome  What a way to prove that a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down

Title: teaching to clean up toys
Post by: Robersonlass on April 14, 2005, 03:11:05 PM

Hi there.
I am not sure what to do when it is clean up time.  I will tell the boys 3.5 & 5 that they have 5 more minutes to play and then it is clean up time (I set a timer to let them know.)  5 yo will do it with coaching but 3.5 yo will tell me no, I don't want to clean up.  I have tried making it fun, making a game of it, telling him he needs to stop playing or have a seat in the cuddle corner until he is ready to clean up, he will sit, come back and start playing again and tell me no again.  Are there some natural consequences I could use, I thought about making the toys (ones he was playing with) go away until he shows me he can help clean up. Would he "get" the consequence at his age.  Am I am thinking developmentally appropriate?
I have tried it during different times of our daily routine, before dinner, after dinner, after shower, it does not seem to make a difference.
Is it "normal" for an almost 6 yo to need constant coaching to clean up, should I just tell him once and have a natural consequence?
They will say they can't clean up, it is too much, no matter the amount of toys, legos or a few stuffed animals.  They did not need help getting it all out to play with so I think they should be able to clean up the messes they have made.  Is that reasonable?  Sometimes I feel like they are being lazy and need a gentle push to teach responsibility.
Ideas??

Title: Re: teaching to clean up toys
Post by: sadie on April 14, 2005, 03:36:25 PM

One thing that comes to mind is that children of this age need to be micromanaged.  When you say, "Clean up your room,"  they are unsure of where to start and become overwhelmed.  I would suggest being very specific.  "Put these blocks in this box, now put these clothes in this hamper, now put thix puzzle on this shelf," etc.  When a big task is broken down like that, it is easier for them to handle and comply.  IKWYM about how kids seem to have an easy time making the mess, so why is it such a battle to clean it up?    But really, they do need the close management and the breaking down of tasks to help them out at this age. 

I think the cuddle corner is being misused in this situation.  It's more for when the child needs to cool off and regroup.  I don't think it's being used effectively in this scenario.  I would not use it unless he tantrums and needs a break after the bear hug.  And when he is calm, I would explain immediately that you will help him clean up what wasn't done before, and then lead him right back to the cleanup. 

Post by: milkmommy on April 14, 2005, 03:40:02 PM

How much is out when its time to clean? Too much and he might get over whelmed. honestly we do the get one toy at a time thing. That wasy their only a few items to clean up when its time.
Some kids also do better NOT being told "were about to do this" but needed the immediate steps walked through. My DD is that way. If I say clean up in 5 mintues she goes  and starts the "I'm too tired hurt, sad etc...  At the same time if I just suddenly said STOP time to clean we'd still get  .
I wait till its time then we sing a clean up song and that helps DD focus
Deanna

Post by: ArmsOfLove on April 14, 2005, 07:28:51 PM

I don't expect my 3.5 yo to be able to clean up--I clean up with him.  I also don't expect my 5yo to be able to clean up without me telling her, "Now clean up X" etc.  My 7.5 yo is finally able to clean up without much supervision.

Today my friend and I spent about 4 hours organizing the playroom into containers that will be locked into the closet and accessible one at a time--new container out when previous one put away. It looks amazing in there--never better!  I'm very excited

Also, natural consequences are what happen unless you block them.  Logical consequences could apply as in toys going into time out but I've not found that effective with my children mostly, I believe, because I've had too many toys *out* and accessible for them and they are overwhelmed which is a whole different phenomenon.

Post by: milkmommy on April 14, 2005, 08:20:42 PM

Today my friend and I spent about 4 hours organizing the playroom into containers that will be locked into the closet and accessible one at a time--new container out when previous one put away. It looks amazing in there--never better!  I'm very excited smile

Ohh good is it going well?  Have enough containers 
Deanna

Post by: ArmsOfLove on April 14, 2005, 08:25:01 PM

exactly enough and we got it gorgeous 

Post by: AmyDoll on April 14, 2005, 08:49:29 PM

My little one is only 18 mos - so I'm not an expert in this area *at all*

But I read an interesting thing somewhere:  For a kiddo who had a lot of little toys - blocks and cars etc.  The mom bought him a rake and shovel and when it was time to clean up - he raked and shoveled the toys away! 

I thought it was neat & maybe worth a try...

XOXO Amy

Post by: godsgracegiven on April 15, 2005, 01:11:01 AM

Quote:
Today my friend and I spent about 4 hours organizing the playroom into containers that will be locked into the closet and accessible one at a time--new container out when previous one put away. It looks amazing in there--never better!  I'm very excited
We do this too, and boy, does it make a difference. I think my kiddos have a hard time when they don't know where to put the toys. We have a small toys box filled with misc. toys (mainly stuffed animals.) But everything else has it's place. We use a small dresser. So blocks go in one drawer, play food goes in one drawer, and on and on. When it is time to put them back,I direct them to the spot where the toy belongs. Not only does it help w/ pick up but I really think that when toys have thier places they seem more fun to the kids.

Quote:
I think the cuddle corner is being misused in this situation.  It's more for when the child needs to cool off and regroup.  I don't think it's being used effectively in this scenario.  I would not use it unless he tantrums and needs a break after the bear hug.  And when he is calm, I would explain immediately that you will help him clean up what wasn't done before, and then lead him right back to the cleanup.
ITA, plus, if they are feeling overwheled by the task they will continue to feel that way in tell directed otherwise.

Title: Picking up toys game...
Post by: godsgracegiven on April 25, 2005, 08:25:29 PM

hehehe, this was cute so I had to share. It has probably already been mentioned here but I can't help it my ds thinks it it the best idea. He has been asking me to rhyme each toy before putting it away.  Hehehehe, and I am pretty pround of my self cause so far I have came up with a lot of  rhymes for car.  Anyway, I had to share. 

Title: Toys toys everywhere
Post by: milkmommy on April 27, 2005, 12:12:33 PM

are not a place to walk I need HELP! Our home is small and because of how its set up is not practicle to insist she keep things in her room nor do I want to spend all day going up and down stairs :/. I've tried weeding down what she has a truthfully its not a lot but their are many pieces. 2) tried putting in covered plastic containers she can now open these so in under 15 seconds EVERYTHING is dumped out again :/. We have no closet to store toys... what I'd like to find are containers my child can't open! (we had the simple clear with snap on lids from sterlite) because this is getting dumb. I can't have anyone over with a house looking likethis.

Deanna

Title: Re: Toys toys everywhere
Post by: Mamaka on April 27, 2005, 02:41:48 PM

I'm not sure if this will be helpful, but what about containers she can't see into? But then that might make the curiosity that much greater. Hmmmm...

I'm not sure if this will work for you but here's what we did: divided ds's toys between 3 rubbermaid containers and only pull 1 out at a time (and then hide the other 2). Every few weeks we trade containers and that makes the toys seem fresh & new and also cuts down on clean up and toys scattered around.

ITU how frustrating this can be.

Post by: ArmsOfLove on April 27, 2005, 04:15:51 PM

what about shelves for the containers that are up where she can't reach them?

Post by: milkmommy on April 27, 2005, 05:03:21 PM

Well DH and I hit target and gota bunch of GOOD containers with good tight lids in Various sizes I'm going to have to think of now where I'm going to keep stuff. Honestly her room isn't a good choice she just takes everything down stairs and honestly I hate going up and down stairs 300 times a day. We have don't have high shelves. I have a empty book case in her room that I was using to keep toys and it works well problem is its in her room, ans her toys aren't (most of them) soo I'll see if we have space too move that down stairs. I'll give updates

Deanna