Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
MidnightCafe
Rose Garden

MidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond repute
Default A foreign language thread...

Let's talk about teaching foreign languages. What do you do? What do you wish you could do?

We are embarking on a journey to learn German. In the past, I've tried to get DD to learn some Spanish. She's been everywhere from totally resistant to very mildly interested. So, we dropped any attempts to work on a foreign language. It was just draining too much energy. This semester I started talking to her about how she's going to need a foreign language in order to graduate from high school someday. She started casually mentioning wanting to learn German. This week she asked if DuoLingo (a language learning app that we've used for Spanish) has German. We checked, and she immediately started working through the first German lesson!! All week she's been playing around with German learning apps, attempting to use all the German phrases she's learning, and organizing a binder for keeping German vocab!!!

So, anyway, we've found a few things to help us along. DH spoke German fluently in high school/early college. This means we have a little help when we get stuck...but very little because DH has learned Spanish since then, and he has a hard time switching languages.

We're using the following apps:
DuoLingo
Busuu
MosaLingua

We also found a podcast called Coffee Break German.

And we have free access to an online language learning program through our public library.

With so many free resources available, I'm disinclined to purchase anything. If we want it, our library also has Pimsleur, Mango Passport, and the Living Language Series. Anyone have experience with any of these? We have used Pimsleur Spanish. That's how DH learned Spanish. It's great for auditory learners, but it doesn't work well for me.

We have a Germanic American Institute not far from us, too, that offers classes, cultural events, and conversation circles. (We'll be attending a Swiss Yodeling class in a couple of weeks! )
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MidnightCafe For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (02-01-2015), JoyGal (01-29-2015), Soliloquy (01-30-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A foreign language thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCafe View Post
Let's talk about teaching foreign languages. What do you do? What do you wish you could do?

We are embarking on a journey to learn German. In the past, I've tried to get DD to learn some Spanish. She's been everywhere from totally resistant to very mildly interested. So, we dropped any attempts to work on a foreign language. It was just draining too much energy. This semester I started talking to her about how she's going to need a foreign language in order to graduate from high school someday. She started casually mentioning wanting to learn German. This week she asked if DuoLingo (a language learning app that we've used for Spanish) has German. We checked, and she immediately started working through the first German lesson!! All week she's been playing around with German learning apps, attempting to use all the German phrases she's learning, and organizing a binder for keeping German vocab!!!

So, anyway, we've found a few things to help us along. DH spoke German fluently in high school/early college. This means we have a little help when we get stuck...but very little because DH has learned Spanish since then, and he has a hard time switching languages.

We're using the following apps:
DuoLingo
Busuu
MosaLingua

We also found a podcast called Coffee Break German.

And we have free access to an online language learning program through our public library.

With so many free resources available, I'm disinclined to purchase anything. If we want it, our library also has Pimsleur, Mango Passport, and the Living Language Series. Anyone have experience with any of these? We have used Pimsleur Spanish. That's how DH learned Spanish. It's great for auditory learners, but it doesn't work well for me.

We have a Germanic American Institute not far from us, too, that offers classes, cultural events, and conversation circles. (We'll be attending a Swiss Yodeling class in a couple of weeks! )
Live Mocha may have German. I know it has Spanish & Russian but not sure of all their offerings.
gerberadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gerberadaisy For This Useful Post:
MidnightCafe (02-01-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute

You are SO inspiring!! I have been wanting the Little's to learn German because, well, they are half German and it will be so useful. DD1 is fluent but isn't really able to teach them. DH used to only speak German to them, but when one of them started having some English speech issues, we stopped that. She's been in speech therapy for a year now and has improved dramatically so I have been talking to dh about speaking it to them again. The only thing is, he's out of town so much that it's hard for him to teach them.

NOW though I am going to do this myself! I am going to upload the apps and use the same resources you listed above. My German is terrible, I understand more than I speak, but it is definitely not great by any means.

Thank you SO SO much!

I will keep up with this thread for inspiration.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

We do have a big handful of German movies and stories on DVD. We also have quite a few story books and even school books, although the school books are for older grades than what the Littles are in. I will pull these out and start utilizing them to my advantage.

Honestly, it's hard for me to read and try to speak it because people always laugh when I try. Dh laughs every time, I once thanked my in-laws for the 'naked eating' instead of dinner, and some of the sounds are hard for me to get. BUT, since it's for my kids, I'm going to make a much stronger attempt
This is the miracle of life. ~ Maureen Hawkins

My Hygge Page
JoyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoyGal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
Thia
Rose Garden

Thia has disabled reputation

I have looked at Rosetta Stone and Duolingo. I think they are great for review, but what I would really like to see are programs like the old French in Action. A clear written approach with lots of practice and an auditory approach. We are thinking of doing German here too.
Thia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thia For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2015, 08:30 PM   #5
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

The girls have used Rosetta Stone - DD1 Spanish, Dd2 French.

Ds really needs to learn some Spanish - I really hate the 'society will expect it of you' but .... it will... I was asked if he spoke Spanish when he came home and had to respond 'as well as any 8 month old I suppose' Ds on the other hand wants to learn anything but Spanish. German....even Gaelic are high on his list.

What is good for kids about 9?

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
MidnightCafe (02-01-2015), Zooey (02-02-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 10:12 PM   #6
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

I took 12 years of Spanish (mexicano) in public school, got to the point where I was translating poetry and acting as the unofficial TA--and then lost the language over the next mumblety years due to not having any Spanish-speaking friends or access to the kinds of books or music I like in Spanish. So I've been re-acquiring, and updating, my own Spanish while teaching my girls. The following, then, is from the perspective of somebody who has two students on either side of age nine, but also a tiny bit of fluency to fall back on.

After some false starts, I realized that the way to teach it, for my two at least, was to keep it verbal and keep it relevant. I bought the Flip Flop Spanish Word-a-Day Perpetual Calendar by Sra. Goze, but replaced the words for each day and the picture to color with words relevant to our lives and a visual dictionary built from coloring pages printed off the Web. Here's how we do it (this is basically Goze's method):

1. I do a little review of my own when planning the day's lesson ahead of time. WordReference.com is awesome for this--I get to chat with native mexicano speakers! We learn words based around one or two themes at a time, generally planned by the week.

2. We use a system I encountered in higher-level textbooks, in which the students learn a model dialogue and drop in new vocabulary words as they use them. Currently our model dialogues are (excuse the missing Spanish punctuation):

Q: Cual es la fecha de hoy?
A: Hoy es ---- el ----- de -----.

Q: Que tiempo hace?
A: Answer with weather and astronomy (we like skywatching) terms that use hay, hace, or esta'; comment on last night's weather using hubo or estuvo; currently they can handle sentences as complex as Hubo mucha nieve anoche, pero no hay nieve ahora porque esta' lloviendo esta manana.

Our next model dialogue will be about clean and dirty clothes. (I said relevant. )

3. After we say the new word together three times, I model it, and we have about 5 minutes of conversation using existing and new vocabulary.

4. Then Sophia copies the new word from a written model onto a dictionary page and Eva colors or draws the illustration.

5. We end with a review of a set of useful vocabulary words, such as colors, numbers to 20, days of the week, or months of the year.
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jenny_islander For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (01-30-2015), MidnightCafe (02-01-2015), Vicki_T (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 12:39 AM   #7
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for starting this thread! I have started my kids on German several times and always given up. Now that we have DSL internet we have so many more options. I'm excited to look at some of the things you posted. (I took German in high school, too, and I used to be fluent enough for travel conversation. I need to brush up.)
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2015, 06:56 AM   #8
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

My biggest problem is that my background is in French, so I'm good with helping dd2.

BUT, dh's boss is Mexican-American and has said he is willing to help us teach ds Spanish, so I need to get some sort of system going.

Thanks for the references!!

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #9
MidnightCafe
Rose Garden

MidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I'm so glad to see that others have been inspired! I'm honestly much more excited, myself, about teaching a foreign language than I've been in a long time. (DD's enthusiasm & buy-in make a huge difference!)

We're now 1 week in, and we've dropped the Busuu app. It quickly turned into a LOT of advertising. We were using the free version. I'm not interested in paying for anything just yet.

LiveMocha *does* have German, but they do not have a mobile app. While we are making use of our computer, we are *more* often on mobile devices. LiveMocha is also somewhat similar to the free program our library offers. I'm thinking of using one or the other of these as our core computer-based program, but I haven't decided for sure which one.

Duolingo has been great for a starting point in discussing noun gender and verb conjugation. MosaLingua & the Coffee Break podcast have both been better than Duolingo for getting us speaking words and phrases that are actually useful in real life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MidnightCafe For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (02-02-2015), Soliloquy (02-07-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #10
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing

We're going to do Italian.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #11
MidnightCafe
Rose Garden

Oh, I thought I'd add that part of the reason we're inclined to use mobile apps is because our main computer does not currently have a microphone, our mobile devices do have microphones, and most programs have a speaking component.

The program through our library is called Transparent. I can't tell if it's just for our library or if it's a more widely available program.

ETA: The Coffee Break podcast *does* offer other languages: http://radiolingua.com/

Last edited by MidnightCafe; 02-01-2015 at 02:35 PM.
MidnightCafe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MidnightCafe For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (02-02-2015), Soliloquy (02-07-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #12
MidnightCafe
Rose Garden

How's everyone doing?

We recently checked some books out from the library to hep us with verb conjugation & grammar rules (in particular, knowing when to pronounce vowels in certain ways and when nouns are masculine, feminine or neuter).

I am not in love with the library's online program. So, I think we'll try more Live Mocha this week. The library program has an awful lot of flash card type activities, and those get boring and frustrating quickly.

We found a great list of verb cognates this week that has increased our vocabulary exponentially! DD made some flash card to help us remember them, and she's starting to get the rules of conjugation.

We are finding ways to insert our German phrases into daily living. I'd like to increase that now that we're developing some vocabulary.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #13
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

We've "taught" DS1 the local language here by inviting a girl over and teaching her how to play games with him. At first we started with BINGO sheets covered in common pictures for nouns, Guess Who for adjectives and facial features, UNO for colors and numbers and Simon Says for verbs. After he had mastered those we moved on to playing with various toy animals, saying where they were for directions, saying what they were doing, describing them. Now he has a set of cards with pictures of children doing things which they use to prwctice past and future tense sentences and a set of cards with numbers 0-9 on them which can be arranged into almost any number. He LOVES it and it has been so good for him. He would say nothing before, only "I can't speak "language"." Now he has the courage to try!

Hey JoyGal I wonder if your DD could play similar games with your little oens. You just have to make sure she starts slow (no super fast and sneaky Simon Says with every verb she can imagine, just 3-5 verbs over and over until they get them! Then add a couple more and a couple more.).

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to arelyn For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (02-19-2015), Hopetobe (02-19-2015), MidnightCafe (02-19-2015), Tasmanian Saint (02-20-2015), ViolaMum (02-20-2015)