Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Slow Cooker Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #31
mamahammer
Deactivated

There must be beaches in heaven

mamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crock Pot Apple Butter

mamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:10 AM   #32
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplegirl View Post
so "put the jars in the boiling water canner"....is that the same BIG pot you were boiling in the first step or are you actually refering to a canning specific pot??? and since i only have the recipe on here, how long would you boil applebutter for? thank you thank you thank you!
put the jars in the boiling water canner=put the jars in the big pot of boiling water

sorry and once they're all in there let the pot boil at a good boil for 10 minutes than use tongs to remove the jars after te 10 minutes is up. You should hear a pop from each jar as it seals) this will be after you take it out of the boiling water. If you can push down the lid to make it pop after the jars are cool, it didn't seal and I would eat that one right away.

---------- Post added at 06:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

Canned Apple Pie Filling:
This is a wonderful pie filling recipe. The trick to the syrup is put your sugar and spices in 8 or 8 1/2 cups of hot water; stir till dissolved and place over low heat. Then mix 2 cups water 3 TBS lemon juice and corn starch and set aside. After you have the apples sliced and packed in the jars bring the sugar mixture almost to boiling stir in your cornstarch mixture and pour it into the sugar mixture. Stir or wisk mixture quickly. When the white of the cornstarch disappears, laddle over sliced apples. It makes 9 quarts every time for me, but I pack the apples within 1 inch of the top.

INGREDIENTS
  • 4 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 10 cups water
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 6 pounds apples
  1. in a large pan, mix sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add salt and water and mix well. Bring to a boil and cook until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
  2. Sterilize canning jars, lids and rings by boiling them in a large pot of water.
  3. Peel, core, and slice apples. Pack the sliced apples into hot canning jars, leaving a 1/2 inch headspace.
  4. Fill jars with hot syrup, and gently remove air bubbles with a knife.
  5. Put lids on and process in a water bath canner for 20 minutes.
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swimming with sharks For This Useful Post:
ncsweetpea (09-09-2010), simplegirl (09-09-2010)
Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 AM   #33
Earthylady
Rose Garden

Earthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like a boiling water bath is fine for apple sauce and apple butter. I found a good site on pickyourown.com with some recipes and info when I googled canning apple butter.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimming with sharks View Post
I love to do it overnight so that it's ready to can first thing in the am (I'm a morning person! )
Peel, core, and chop apples. 14 Large apples fit in my crockpot. Add 1 Tbsp vanilla. Cook apples for 8 hrs on low. Massh up apples. Add 2 tsp cinnamon, 2 c white sugar, 1 c brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp ground up cloves. (I only add 1 c brown sugar normally that's way sweet enough!) Thwen can and process for 10 minutes.
So you don't put ANY white sugar and only the 1 cup of brown?

Loving my husband and our 5 kids on Earth plus two in Heaven (7/23/10 @ 4 1/2 weeks) and (10/14/10 @ 10 1/2 weeks)

My newest baby was just born 6/8/14. Woohoo!
Earthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:55 AM   #34
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiesmomma View Post
It looks like a boiling water bath is fine for apple sauce and apple butter. I found a good site on pickyourown.com with some recipes and info when I googled canning apple butter.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

So you don't put ANY white sugar and only the 1 cup of brown?
Yeah...my whole goal was making it with no hfcs, no preservatives, and less sugar than store bought. 3 cups of sugar seemed like a lot....and you can knock it down even more and add sugar at the end if you think it needs more. I think last year I went down to 3/4c brown sugar. I tried 1/2c, but the rxn from the family was pretty grim
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swimming with sharks For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (09-09-2010)
Old 09-09-2010, 07:38 AM   #35
Earthylady
Rose Garden

Earthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried making it with honey or molasses? Or stevia?

Loving my husband and our 5 kids on Earth plus two in Heaven (7/23/10 @ 4 1/2 weeks) and (10/14/10 @ 10 1/2 weeks)

Old 09-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #36
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

What's the difference between wanting to make applesauce vs. apple butter?

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #37
Earthylady
Rose Garden

mmmmmm....just made this and it is divine! Yummy!

Old 09-10-2010, 06:19 AM   #38
Ajani
Rose Trellis

Learning what I'm called to believe

Ajani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiteria View Post
What's the difference between wanting to make applesauce vs. apple butter?
Apple butter is thick and dark and tangy, whereas apple sauce is thinner, not sticky and not a good breakfast spread.

Come share food with me.

~ Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow." ~

Ajani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #39
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Right, but what makes the end result apple butter vs. apple sauce? How do I keep from making the wrong one if I just throw apples in the crock and wing it?

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #40
Ajani
Rose Trellis

Ajani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I get it. Apple butter is cooked much longer. Think the difference between simple syrup and caramel. Much of the liquid evaporates off and the apples oxidize and the sugars caramelize a bit. It all comes together to make a rich, smooth, tangy spread. The crockpot is ideal because it all but eliminates the possibility of burning the butter.

Come share food with me.

~ Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow." ~

The Following User Says Thank You to Ajani For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (09-11-2010)
Old 09-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #41
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

I finally got around to making the apple butter.
It tastes really good, but it is thinner than I would like.
How can I thicken it up a bit?
Also, it has a slight chunky quality to it and is not as smooth as most butters I have tried. Should I put it in the blender or something?

ETA, it actually is the texture and consistency of applesauce. Is that the way it comes out?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 09-13-2010 at 09:22 AM.
RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #42
Love_Is_Patient
Rose Trellis

Love_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond repute

I usually blend my apple butter after the apples are good and soft. Then I put it back in the crock pot for a couple of hours with the lid off. That should let some of the liquid evaporate and it will thicken up a bit. (You can do it on high, but watch it a bit).

I don't put any sugar in mine unless I taste it and it needs some at the end. I use sweeter apples, usually, though. The apples plus the spices (I use cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves) are very good! I've seen recipes that used honey but haven't tried them.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #43
Ajani
Rose Trellis

Any apple butter I've seen looks like this. Dark and smooth and fairly thick. I took my immersion blender to my plum butter to get it smooth, and let it cook until it could pretty much hold up a spoon.

Come share food with me.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #44
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

I am soooo upset. Seriously, I am about in tears. Pregnancy hormones and all, I guess.
This is bordering on OT, but whatever, I started the thread, so I am going to hijack it.

I had taken the lid off so it would thicken a bit, and came to read the thread for the canning instructions.
While I was away from the kitchen, my 18 month old and 3yo moved a chair to look in the pot. My guess is my 3yo wanted to eat some of the apple butter.
My 18 month old likes to play in the sink. I heard my 9 yo scream "No! Ewwwwww!" My 18 month old took the dish brush and stuck it in the pot! And I am not positive, but I think he might have stuck the brush down the sink disposal first.

Yuck!
Now I need to throw it out.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 09-13-2010 at 10:14 AM.
RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #45
TuneMyHeart
Rose Garden

Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it. Seal it for Thy courts above.

TuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sorry. Could you put it on the stove and get it really hot, then not have to throw it away?

btw, I use my stick blender to smooth it out after cooking it in the crockpot.
TuneMyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote