Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute
Default I need some practical help..

Keeping my house clean.

Up until DD got here, I cleaned all the common areas every day, made beds etc.

It wasn't perfect, but it was orderly-ish.

The only time I can live in total chaos is when I'm depressed which is part of the reason I know I'm doing much better this time..

However, my house had got to pits, and I have tried to be gracious with myself, and I have a disaster as a result.

But I am still 3 weeks PP, so I need a compromise, where enough is orderly to where I can think, but still not over stressing myself.

How do neat freaks compromise PP?

Especially if anxiety and discord come from messiness. Things just are not peaceful and comfortable when I am tripping on stuff walking in the middle of the floor, almost falling with a baby etc. I can't relax.

My sister is here to help me get back on top, but I need ideas on how to stay on top.

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
TenderLovingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say they are praying for TenderLovingWillow:
FlyingBlueKiwi (06-06-2013), gpsings (06-07-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need some practical help..

We are just beginning to recover at home at 4 months. (Complicated by me WOH)

What can you live without; what can't you live without?

You said that you need clear floorspace, and probably a clean kitchen. So those still need picked up daily.

What happens if the bathroom, sweeping floors and laundry rotated every other day? Every 3rd day?
Dovenoir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dovenoir For This Useful Post:
TenderLovingWillow (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Right now try and focus on your PP recovery and having a list each day for sister.After that it always took awhile for me to be able to stay anywhere near my usual things.One thing that helped me is having a box of wipes in bathroom and when would go in would wipe up around sink and faucets and toilrt and do a quick swish with brush and just some hand soapnin bathroom and take out any wet towels.If you can assign older kids things like bringing you clean laundry out of dryer in baskrt to fold while recining or have them match up socks put clean silverware away.Do a timer toy pickup to make it fun

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C

Last edited by mamacat; 06-04-2013 at 11:00 AM.
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
TenderLovingWillow (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
LovelyGourmet
Rose Bouquet

Keep it together, keep it together...

LovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond repute

We are still trying to recover at 8 months PP L is super super needy and never sleeps during the day though so
8/06

Mommy to
C - - 3/08 K - - 10/10 L - - 9/12 D - - 10/14 A - - 03/17

“When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very
Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.”
LovelyGourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
Right now try and focus on hour PP recovery and having a list each day for sister.After that it always took awhile for me to be anle to stay anywhere near my usual things.One thing that helped me is having a box of wipes in bathroom and when would go in would wipe up around sink and faucets and toilrt and do a quick swish with brush and just some hand soapnin bathroom and take out any wet towels.If you can assign older kids things like bringing you clean laundry out of dryer in baskrt to fold while recining or have them match up socks put clean silverware away.Do a timer toy pickup to make it fun
Thanks! This is the kindof thing I am looking for. I am a perfectionist, so I need permission to wipe the floor with my foot on a wet towel.

I can't wait till my house is clean all the time.

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
Old 06-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
Barefoot Bookworm
Rose Garden

Barefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, wipe down the bathroom when you use it. Lock away toys and bring out a box or two each day so they can't dump everything out. Make sure to load the dishwasher after each meal instead of waiting. It just makes it a million times faster. Fold the laundry as it comes out instead of letting it pile into Mt. Laundry then feeling overwhelmed (*cough* my husband needs to listen to this one...). I put a lot of things off limits for a while because I couldn't keep up on them. Bedrooms during the day were off limits, the Lego room was off limits, kids could only be where I gave them permission to be (under my supervision so they couldn't tornado when I was in the other room getting something done).

If you can swing the money, baskets for clutter. Instead of putting that pile of mail or your purse on the counter, throw it in a pretty basket. Looks organized even if it's not.
Lamb (12),
Miss Mousie (11),
Billy Goat (9),
Wren and Hedgehog (5)!
Barefoot Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Barefoot Bookworm For This Useful Post:
Lady Grey (06-06-2013), LovelyGourmet (06-04-2013), Maggirayne (06-05-2013), mamacat (06-04-2013), Quiteria (06-08-2013), TenderLovingWillow (06-04-2013), Virginia (06-07-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
LovelyGourmet
Rose Bouquet

Keep it together, keep it together...

LovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond reputeLovelyGourmet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderLovingWillow View Post
Thanks! This is the kindof thing I am looking for. I am a perfectionist, so I need permission to wipe the floor with my foot on a wet towel.
I call this 'good enough' house cleaning and I thought of a few things I do that might help.

Never fold socks - buy all the same type/color for each child, throw them all in a drawer, preferably close to the door because my kids only wear socks when we go out and I hate running back to their bedrooms hunting for socks.

Give the kids some wet rags and let them wipe of the table and chairs after meals and then let them vacuum the floor. My kids love it. It keeps them entertained for quite awhile. It's not as clean as I would do it but sorta clean is better than not at all clean!

Put a basket up high and throw the toys that get left on the floor in it. Then it's out of sight and you can put the toys where they go when you have time.

If the mess is driving you crazy just throw everything in a laundry basket, hide the laundry basket until you have time/energy to deal with the stuff in it.

So basically - think illusion of clean until you feel up to actual clean

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Also - clean the shower/tub when you are already in there.
8/06

Mommy to
C - - 3/08 K - - 10/10 L - - 9/12 D - - 10/14 A - - 03/17

“When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very
Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.”
LovelyGourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LovelyGourmet For This Useful Post:
gpsings (06-07-2013), TenderLovingWillow (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
flyfishgirl
Seedling Rose

flyfishgirl will become famous soon enoughflyfishgirl will become famous soon enough

I understand the perfectionist thing when it comes to keeping things in order around the house. The cleaning wipes are very helpful for bathrooms and kitchen surfaces. I also love baskets/bins for storing books, magazines, mail and toys and I even use small ones inside dresser drawers to organize things like socks, underwear, etc. While they don't cure the clutter, they do help corral it for a while. We have a 'toy closet' that we put a lock on. We also keep books in it and just rotate from time to time. Mail is always an issue for me and when things get crazy I recycle a lot of the magazines and catalogs. I figure there will always be more
flyfishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flyfishgirl For This Useful Post:
TenderLovingWillow (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

No advice whatsoever, just

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingBlueKiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

Less stuff out makes less mess. So if you are not currently using all of your beautification gear, hurl it in a drawer/box/etc and don't worry about working around it. Same in the kitchen.

Clean big surfaces in the rooms you are in most often. So for me, that would mean keeping the couch and living room floor fairly clear, and the master bedroom's bed and floor. Have a room or two that feel sane to you.

Put on real clothes in the morning. Nothing fancy, but yoga pants, nursing tank and cardigan go a long way towards helping you feel like when the baby chills a smidge you can step outside for some fresh air. If you can't handle the house, GET OUT. It's too hard to rush into clothing when the little angel finally gets sorted. And getting out, even to sit on a front porch, goes a long way towards getting you out of the "holy smokes, I'm living in a hoarder's episode."
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

I knew I could count on you ladies. I got my kitchen clean this am, and mopped it with my foot with a towel. It looks so.much.better.

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TenderLovingWillow For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (06-07-2013), FlyingBlueKiwi (06-06-2013), MegMarch (06-07-2013)
The Following User Says they are praying for TenderLovingWillow:
FlyingBlueKiwi (06-06-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
joyful

just jumping on board as we are in a similar boat . I had a poorly baby for the first 18 months and I feel like we still have not ever caught up!

My floor only ever gets mopped with a towel and my foot (unless my Mum comes to visit ) !