Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:51 AM   #1
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Grandparents changing their names

Anyone else had this happen?

Three of our grandparents have randomly announced that they will no longer be known as Grandma Jean (or insert other grandparent name here) and would rather go by some other callsign, like Mammaw or whatever. My children are halfway grown. It's really unfair to make them unlearn their grandparents' names halfway through their childhoods :/ In all three cases, the catalyst was that some other grandchild was on the way, and the grandparent saw it as an opportunity to reinvent themselves. At my children's expense :/ Fine with me if these people want subsequent grandchildren to call them by another name, but what bothers me is that they insist on using the unfamiliar name with my kids too. I thought the best thing about grandparents was that they provide a *stable* influence in children's lives

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:19 AM   #2
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: Grandparents changing their names

Honestly, it wouldn't bother me too much. Kids are resilient. People have the right to choose what other people call them.

Have you talked to your kids about it? They may be far less bothered by it than you are.

Also, you may find that the "new name" doesn't stick. Sometimes people want to try something new and it just doesn't stick and it all falls back to the old.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Allison (05-01-2015), Llee (05-02-2015), schmamy (05-02-2015), Virginia (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 03:46 AM   #3
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute

That would really bug me. My grandparents wanted to go by Omar and Opa of something like that when my kids were born, and it just felt so odd and unnatural, that I tried-but it didn't end up sticking. It sounded babyish to me even though they are Dutch words and not really babyish.

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian

Last edited by TenderLovingWillow; 05-01-2015 at 06:12 AM.
TenderLovingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:48 AM   #4
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderLovingWillow View Post
That would really bug me. My grandparents wanted to go by Omar and Opa of something like that when my kids were born, and it just felt so odd and unnatural, that I tried-but it didn't end up sticking. It sounded babyish to me even though they are Dutch words and joy really babyish.
Awww, that's such a cultural thing. I have an Oma and Opa.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Ajani (05-01-2015), ECingMama (05-01-2015), hollybells (05-03-2015), Leslie (05-01-2015), MaybeGracie (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 03:56 AM   #5
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

My mom has different names from her different families my kids call her Mena or grandma and my nephew calls her Momma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:15 AM   #6
titosmommy
Rose Bouquet

titosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond reputetitosmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post

My mom and dad are Oma and Opa to my kids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2sunshines (05-01-2015), ECingMama (05-01-2015), hollybells (05-03-2015), MaybeGracie (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 05:45 AM   #7
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

This would be very hard for me. My stepbrother decided to go by his first name for professional reasons (after going by his middle name) and I never remember to call him that

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:51 AM   #8
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

To me im w Romeo and Juliet
"What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet!"

While it it hard, I would see how it went over. My parents are Oma and Papa. My IL's are grandma and Grandpa.

We used to be Mama and Daddy and my kids naturally went to mon and dad. It was actually hard for me at first but I love my kids and I let it go.

My dd1 is 15 and talking about changing her name. She's always felt her name doesn't quite fit her.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (05-01-2015), ECingMama (05-01-2015), Virginia (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 06:08 AM   #9
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

We have an Oma on the German side and a Tutu on the Hawaiian side.

Our kids grew up calling us Mommy and Daddy but my youngest two have started using Mom and Dad, and it does feel weird. I guess I'll adjust.

I agree with 2Sunshines. It may not bother the kids.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leslie For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 06:14 AM   #10
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
That's cool.

I just had a hard time switching and we almost never see them, so I think that didn't help. I think if they lived closer it may have stuck.

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
TenderLovingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TenderLovingWillow For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 06:22 AM   #11
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I'd let them deal with it. If they want to change, they can talk to the kids about it, correct them when they do it the old way, etc.

I'm not a big fan of making big kids (or any kids, but especially big kids) use babyish words, though.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (05-01-2015), Zooey (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 06:31 AM   #12
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

I'd tell the kids the grandparents' wishes and then leave it. If they want to use the new names
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 06:37 AM   #13
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

I would respect their wishes, but it might be hard for the kids to use the new names.

When my grandma died and my grandad remarried, my step grandma really wanted me to start calling him grandpa but no way was I doing that at age 14. He was Grandad to me and I was just that stubborn. If he had cared I would have grudgingly made the change, but it was a big deal to me.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

Last edited by Singingmom; 05-01-2015 at 06:39 AM.
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
bananacake (05-01-2015), CelticJourney (05-01-2015), ECingMama (05-01-2015), hollybells (05-03-2015), Llee (05-02-2015), Quiteria (05-02-2015), squiddles (05-01-2015), ValiantJoy07 (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 08:34 AM   #14
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singingmom View Post
I would respect their wishes, but it might be hard for the kids to use the new names.

When my grandma died and my grandad remarried, my step grandma really wanted me to start calling him grandpa but no way was I doing that at age 14. He was Grandad to me and I was just that stubborn. If he had cared I would have grudgingly made the change, but it was a big deal to me.
This reminded me, when my Grandmother remarried the "little cousins" called him "wopwop" (his grand kids called him 'pawpaw" and they thought it would be fun to call him pawpaw backwards. WopWop! our real grandfather was "Popop" ) Anyway, they all were just little kids aged 4-9 when he married Nana- I was already in my 20's with 2 kids. I call him Jim (or mostly avoid calling him any thing I feel awkward because he signs things "grandpa" but I mostly address him as "G-Gpa Jim" in front of the kids because to my kids he's all they've ever known for a great grandfather figure).

Anyway, I think it depends on the kids and ages and relationship.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
Llee (05-02-2015), Singingmom (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #15
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly if a grandparent is going to keep changing what they want to be called I wouldn't even tell the kids and try to be as little involved with the whole thing as possible. The grandparent can explain it to them if they want but I wouldn't correct the kids if they forget. .sheez that would bother me
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 3PeasInAPod For This Useful Post:
Lady Grey (05-01-2015), Quiteria (05-02-2015), squiddles (05-01-2015), tempus vernum (05-03-2015), WanderingJuniper (05-03-2015)