Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:16 PM   #16
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Crunchy Dog

I don't think there is anything wrong with giving dogs scraps as long as you are choosing which scraps to give them. Eg my dogs only get meat, egg or dairy scraps and every once in awhile a tiny bit of rice or bread mixed in. No kibble is going to be perfect I think it's good to have some other food mixed in to help make up any potential gaps and also just - would you want to always eat the same thing all day every day? JMO of course.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #17
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

My dog was just bit or scratched (I can't tell.) through a fence by a mean little dog. Sigh. I washed it with castille soap. Now I'm googling everything else. Poor buddy.

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

So far the recommendations are turmeric, collodial silver, grapefruit seed extract, and lavender essential oil. Add green tea, calendula, and silicea homeopathic remedy. Add raw honey.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:55 PM   #18
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

My dog has been in his share of fights. (Unknown/Neighbouring dogs come on to our acreage and he gets them off. For which I'm thankful.) He's always been fine. I hope your doggie is okay, too.

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaVA View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with giving dogs scraps as long as you are choosing which scraps to give them. Eg my dogs only get meat, egg or dairy scraps and every once in awhile a tiny bit of rice or bread mixed in. No kibble is going to be perfect I think it's good to have some other food mixed in to help make up any potential gaps and also just - would you want to always eat the same thing all day every day? JMO of course.

Our dogs get raw eggs, meat drippings, gristle, etc.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (06-01-2015), Llee (11-22-2016)
Old 06-01-2015, 09:29 PM   #19
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Dog saliva has many awesome healing properties so I rarely treat anything not clearly in dire need.

I prefer grain free but can't do money wise any longer.

I use conventional flea and tick treatments. We have like mutant fleas or something and every couple years what once worked stops working. Natural stuff never worked at all. We live in the woods in the country and fleas will jump on you just walking outside. Ack. And ticks are a part of daily life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (06-02-2015), Llee (11-22-2016), Soliloquy (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #20
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

http://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2015/0...k-collar-dogs/
saw this today so thought i would post it for you

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

i've also heard good things about geranium essential oil for ticks, esp deep woods ticks

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-17-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #21
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Our dog trainer highly recommended this product for cleaning ears and it's worked fabulously for us. It has gentian violet and colloidal silver to combat yeast and other creepies that can over-populate dog's ears.

Best done outside. You squirt a good amount in the ear (usually takes two people to accomplish this) then massage just below the ear vigorously to work it down. Let the dog go, he'll shake and get a lot of it out but enough will stay in to treat the ear. Then, with a q-tip, reach in and pull gunk UP. If there's no gunk, you can use it occasionally as a preventative. If there's black gunk or bleeding, use at least weekly until it clears.

http://www.vitacost.com/liquid-health-k-9-ear-solutions
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-17-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 05:05 AM   #22
JoannaV
Rose Trellis

JoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond repute

Our dog for some reason had ear mites recently and we dealt with them by cleaning and applying mineral oil.

DH (ISFP) 07/09
DS1 01/12
DS2 06/14
DD1 01/16
JoannaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #23
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

http://maxandruffys.com/repelling-fl...cks-naturally/

https://www.amazon.com/CANIDAE-Stage...de+With+Chicke

my dog doesn't scratch himself as much when corn-free

tick and flea prevention with essential oils

http://www.primallyinspired.com/easy...ssential-oils/
Old 10-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #24
ECingMama
Rose Garden

http://www.primallyinspired.com/home...der-repellent/

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Our dog trainer highly recommended this product for cleaning ears and it's worked fabulously for us. It has gentian violet and colloidal silver to combat yeast and other creepies that can over-populate dog's ears.

Best done outside. You squirt a good amount in the ear (usually takes two people to accomplish this) then massage just below the ear vigorously to work it down. Let the dog go, he'll shake and get a lot of it out but enough will stay in to treat the ear. Then, with a q-tip, reach in and pull gunk UP. If there's no gunk, you can use it occasionally as a preventative. If there's black gunk or bleeding, use at least weekly until it clears.

http://www.vitacost.com/liquid-health-k-9-ear-solutions
Need to do this
Old 10-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #25
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Thanks for the link to the homemade flea powder. I am utterly amazed that we haven't had fleas. We have 2 dogs and they are in the woods and tall grasses all the time.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:21 PM   #26
ECingMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Thanks for the link to the homemade flea powder. I am utterly amazed that we haven't had fleas. We have 2 dogs and they are in the woods and tall grasses all the time.
I use an old can of Green Lakes collagen with holes poked in it to sprinkle DE where the dog sleeps.

I did a drop of Eucalyptus oil on him tonight too.

We've used the rose Geranium on him when hiking and camping.

I hope this stuff works. I don't want to poison my dog or kids, but I don't want fleas either!

Read on here that Front line doesn't work well anyway?
Old 10-10-2016, 06:21 PM   #27
ECingMama
Rose Garden

My dog is not itching on this dog food! Been on it a few months.

Lasts about 45 days, 44 lbs. I'm going to have to see if we are over feeding him.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-22-2016, 05:36 AM   #28
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

We have a crunchy dog and crunchy vet!

He's 12 and a German shepherd so he's nearing the end but still walks 2/day and w the exception of the neurological Disease he's developed in his body (I forget if it's muscle or what) he's super healthy.

We've not vaccinated beyond rabies and now he has a health waiver for rabies . A few months after rescuing him at 6months old he developed kennel cough and she treated him w essential oils and herbal cough syrup.

He's had issues w anxiety and his feet. He's also had a growth on a foot that we removed and they thought was cancer.

We've not done heartworm either but essential oils and homeopathy Chinese herbs etc.

We did medication for pain and he was on an antiinflamatory for awhile but we've learned corydalis, a joint supplement w msm and glucosamine and fish oils work way better for his pain. Right now we r keeping him comfortable but it's a matter of Time before we are not able to. I'm sure we will have to add pharmaceuticals again before the end.

He's always been grain free. For a time I made a special doggie loaf
We do give left over veggies and some raw meat as a treat. Now that he's towards the end he's very spoiled and acts like an old man

He's been the best dog we've ever had and I'm unsure we could replace him. This may sound dumb but recently w my brain issues he seems to know something's not right w me.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (11-24-2016), Llee (11-22-2016), Soliloquy (11-22-2016), sweetpeasmommy (11-22-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 08:51 PM   #29
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

First, for a Golden!!!!! They are my favorite!

Yes, keep on heartworm prevention, much cheaper to prevent than treat. $37 for a 6 month supply is good.

Taste of the Wild is good. So is Fromm. Currently my dog is eating Tractor Supply Co. brand because the ingredients were very comparable to Taste of the Wild for less money.

Most dogs don't need their ears cleaned often. I do my dogs a couple times a year, but I do check her ears often.

I don't think there is a good natural flea treatment if a dog actually has fleas. I use Advantage or NexGard as needed. (which is 2-3 times a year usually)

I'd suggest feeding 1.5 cups of food twice a day for a month or two then increase or decrease as you see the need.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #30
ECingMama
Rose Garden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=261A9mv7t1I

This is a cat video, but I love that the Vet recommends DE for ear mites! And olive oil! And coconut oil!