Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:29 PM   #1
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting a kitten soon

We have have chosen a kitten and are waiting for it to be old enough to come home.

Now... I've had lots of cats growing up... five actually... two of them are still alive and are 14 & 16 living with my parents in Canada (I wasn't able to take them when I moved to th Uk).

Now it feels like so long since I've had a kitten that I'm not feeling confident I am kitten proofing our place right.

Any tips or things you think I might easily miss?

We live in a house with two floors, I was thinking a litter box on each floor until it is older?

I've been teaching my kids all sorts of things to be aware of so they know how to avoid accidentally hurting the kitty (they are 7 & 10 so I'm not that worried anyway.)

I'm excited... just hoping this one isn't an ankle scratcher! Hate that stage.
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a kitten soon

Aww, a kitten. I love kittens!

Our cat likes to eat gift ribbon (and then throw it up later) and chew the corners of books and papers. So maybe look around the house for stringy things the kitten might try to eat, and watch to see if the kitten likes to chew books and papers?

That's the best I could come up with.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leslie For This Useful Post:
MaySunflowers (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 09:29 AM   #3
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot about that.

I actually had a cat once that could tear ANY empty cardboard box into tiny pieces in the few minutes you left the room. Lol
Old 09-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
Amber
Rose Garden

Amber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond repute

I would keep a littler box on each floor even after it is an adult. It can help cut down on potty issues.

Having both horizontal and vertical climbing areas is nice to help keep them out of trouble. My favorite cat toy is called The Cat Dancer. It doesn't look like much, but my cats go crazy for it.
Big M (6/03) Forever ours Dec 2012
C (6/04),
Little M (10/05) Forever ours Dec 2012
K (5/06)

Missing our foster daughter Miss A
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amber For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 10:20 AM   #5
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

When we lived in a house with a basement, the litter boxes were in the basement and new kittens didn't have any trouble with that. We just showed them where they were and that was that. No harm in having one per floor, though.

Check your houseplants for being poisonous. Hang any that are special.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Llee (10-03-2015), MaySunflowers (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Been a very long time since I've had a kitten too.

I think the best thing is to confine the kitten to one room when you are gone and maybe at night for the first few weeks.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #7
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

Age and motherhood has made me so aware and paranoid about getting our new kitten... I am so aware of all the things that could happen.

Kitten is coming home Friday evening.
The Following User Says Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (10-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaySunflowers View Post

Kitten is coming home Friday evening.
Post adorable kitten pictures!
Old 10-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #9
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Post adorable kitten pictures!
Of course! I shall pretend I'm a photographer. Lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (10-03-2015), Leslie (10-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #10
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

We just got a tiny kitten last Sunday. We held her the entire first afternoon as she was pretty scared. By they next day she was up to crazy kitty antics, including climbing the curtains up to the ceiling.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Redeemed (10-06-2015), squiddles (10-04-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #11
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

Lol.... hoping mine is the relaxed sort like my amazing cat from years ago... my ankles are nervous!
Old 10-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #12
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
We just got a tiny kitten last Sunday.
How am I to believe you if there are no pictures?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leslie For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (10-04-2015), MaySunflowers (10-03-2015), Soliloquy (10-04-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #13
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
We just got a tiny kitten last Sunday. We held her the entire first afternoon as she was pretty scared. By they next day she was up to crazy kitty antics, including climbing the curtains up to the ceiling.
The reason I adopt adult cats, to avoid that phase. But kittens are soooo cute!
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #14
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, protect your plants! I pretty much only have hanging plants or a few on very very high shelves that the cats can't get to, because they loooooove to eat the leaves. The good news is that macrame-style plant hangers are back in style.

My only other piece of advice would be to consider getting another one. Cats can get pretty lonely, and two are SO entertaining both for each other and for their people.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
MaySunflowers (10-04-2015), MegMarch (10-04-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 10:53 AM   #15
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

I want two, they have two... but my husband says one and won't budge.
The Following User Says Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
MrsHutch (10-06-2015)