Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
marigold
Rose Trellis

marigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud of
Default greasy hair

Hello.

I've always had dry hair and scalp but my dd has lately developed oily hair and i don't know how to help her. She is 10, we co-wash,(usually 1x/week) grain-free = very picky about the products that we put on her hair. I made her a homemade dry shampoo. It didn't really blend in well. Maybe we put too much in.
I'm thinking maybe I should just start making her clean her hair more often, but I don't know if that will help. MY dh washes every day and his hair is greasy a couple hours later ( he does also insist on using shampoo though)
Also, I think ACV would help but she refuses it as the smell is strong even when diluted.
Any greasy hair people out there with some advice tor me?
ds1 - June 2009
ds2 - April 2011
ds3 - October 2013
dd2 - November 2015
Image already added
marigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:16 PM   #2
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: greasy hair

Have you looked into adding a few drops of essential oil to help?

When I have soaked in the epsom salt bath, I would sometimes wet my hair in the water so at the end of the soak I could wash my hair. It seemed to strip the oil.

Vinegar will strip the oil and really make her hair soft. The smell goes away. If she will try it.

This might not be as 'health' but as a teen many moons ago, I would put Listerine on my hair to strip the oil.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
marigold (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
lavenlove
Seedling Rose

lavenlove is on a distinguished road

Are you entirely against shampoo? The Fairy Tales line is gluten-free and nut-free, I believe.

https://fairytaleshaircare.com/wp-co...rr_shampoo.jpg

My hair is extremely fine and gets oily quickly. If I donít blow dry it, it looks so greasy even less than 24 hours later. If I only did co-wash a couple times a week, it would be so oily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lavenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lavenlove For This Useful Post:
marigold (08-11-2018), Quiteria (08-12-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #4
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

This is more of a "I have a 10yo" problem than a product problem. Both of my girls went about the same. We did mainly "no poo" in the younger years. They hardly washed their hair, and it was clean and shiny and nice. It didn't stink and it looked beautiful.

At around age 10, hormones started to kick in, and they both started getting oily hair at that age. I started having them wash hair twice a week, which was *barely* enough. Eventually my teen started having to wash her hair more (and enter acne!)

My 10yo is about to have to start washing 3x weekly. Twice a week isn't quite cutting it for her.

crunchy, homeschooling (Charlotte Mason), focused on healing with GAPS and homeopathy!
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (08-12-2018), Lady Grey (08-11-2018), marigold (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #5
marigold
Rose Trellis

marigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud of

I could try epsom salts she likes those. I've told her the smell of ACV will go away but she won't go anywhere near it. The couple of times I have forced her to use it the ACV helped but it is not worth the screaming.

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

I am not entirely against shampoo but I do think it makes the hair more greasy in the long run as it strips the hair of all natural oil and the head thinks it must make more. (It definitely does not he I suppose it you shampooed and then did something like an ACV rinse to rebalance the ph of your scalp again afterwards it might work... not sure.

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

KarenBoo, that is exactly what I think I'm dealing with. You say your kids are washing their hair more often - are they using shampoo now or are they still "no-poo".
ds1 - June 2009
ds2 - April 2011
ds3 - October 2013
dd2 - November 2015
Image already added
Old 08-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #6
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold View Post

[/COLOR]KarenBoo, that is exactly what I think I'm dealing with. You say your kids are washing their hair more often - are they using shampoo now or are they still "no-poo".
They use Desert Essence Fragrance Free now. I got "over" the no-poo thing a long time ago. I wanted something quick and easy!

crunchy, homeschooling (Charlotte Mason), focused on healing with GAPS and homeopathy!
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
marigold (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #7
marigold
Rose Trellis

maybe I just have to get over it too.
ds1 - June 2009
ds2 - April 2011
ds3 - October 2013
dd2 - November 2015
Image already added
The Following User Says Thank You to marigold For This Useful Post:
KarenBoo (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 08:23 PM   #8
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

We do the once-a-week, minimal/no shampoo washing, and we've had similar problems as hormones have hit.

I thought about just giving up and going with a mainstream lots-o-shampoo-lots-o-days routine, but my girls really didn't want to have to wash more than once a week. So, since hair care was going to get more complicated anyway (more days, plus more conditioner to counteract the drying shampoo), I decided to start them on my own co-wash routine instead (though I actually use a vinegar rinse instead of the lavender spray for myself):

1) flip hair over and massage aloe vera gel into the scalp (helps with flakes, and also has a mild cleansing effect).
2) spray hair with lavender water spray (15 drops of lavender EO in about 32oz of water, in a spray bottle)
=> Lavender spray is also great for daily pick-me-ups - I use it like people use dry shampoo. I spray a bit on my hair every day.
3) Massage cleansing conditioner into scalp and down the hair to the ears (we use Renpure).
4) Put moisturizing conditioner on the middles and ends (we use Shea Moisture).
5) Comb everything through, and clip up hair (my middle doesn't bother clipping her hair up).
6) Rinse out in shower after washing body.
ETA: Steps 1-5 are done before getting into the shower - rinsing is the only in-the-shower step. (I also use a vinegar rinse while rinsing, to help everything rinse clean, but the girls don't.)

Right now I'm heavily assisting - they do the aloe, but I do the lavender spray and the conditioners - but I'm working on turning all the steps over to them. (If they are showering away from me they just do a water rinse or borrow someone's shampoo.) It doesn't take too much time with my help - about 5 min - and they don't mind the extra steps because it's really reduced hair tangling. When using shampoo, they used to cry several times a week over tangles, and now they don't have any problems at all. My 9.5yo looks great all week on this (and so do I), but my 12yo is getting greasy by day 5 or so (although not as bad as when she was using shampoo). But just having her do a water rinse mid-week helps her stretch it out. (Or hitting it hard with lavender spray and putting into a ponytail, if I don't notice till just before going out - still working a regular mid-week water rinse into our routine.)

That's one nice thing about sticking with co-washing - ime water-only rinsing is much more effective then, as opposed to when your hair is used to shampoo, and it's a great, easy way to extend time between full washes.

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP, 4/1) since 2003

Mother to:
dd10, 'R', INxJ, 1/4?
dd8, 'A', IxFP, 4/1?
ds5, 'J', Ixxx
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

Last edited by forty-two; 08-12-2018 at 06:45 AM.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
KarenBoo (08-12-2018), marigold (08-12-2018), OnAMission (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 04:23 AM   #9
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

This is such a timely thread for me! I have an 11 year old dd and man her hair is GREASY! Even the day after a shower! I admit we're mainstream with shampoo and stuff....

I may have to try some of these other ideas.

How do you apply the ACV? Spray it in? Then do you wash it out? Leave it on? Other?
Old 08-12-2018, 06:43 AM   #10
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
How do you apply the ACV? Spray it in? Then do you wash it out? Leave it on? Other?
Vinegar is really awesome on hair - I used to use just vinegar rinses and water rinsing, and it worked well (it just that it required washing every other day). I used to use ACV, but now I use white vinegar. I find that the ACV tends to bring out the warm highlights in my hair, and the white vinegar brings out the cooler highlights - it's the difference between being a warm brown and an ash brown for me. So it depends on the effect I want which one I use. Since I'm starting to get gray hairs, I'm using white vinegar, to try to keep them a nice silver.

WRT application, for me I make a rinse in a bowl - about 1/4-1/2 c vinegar and the rest water. When I put it on before putting on my cleanser (to cut the grease and to get flakes off my scalp), I use a large mixing bowl, and I dip my hair into it, right up to the scalp, and swoosh it around, and give my scalp a good scrubbing. When I use it in the shower, after rinsing off the cleanser (to help everything rinse clean), I use a small plastic mixing bowl, and dip the ends and middle of my hair into it, and then pour it over my head.

With my kids, the times I've used it, I've just used a spray bottle and do my best to saturate their hair, esp the scalp.

I always rinse the vinegar out. I actually break out if I leave the vinegar on my skin, so I'm careful to rinse thoroughly.

ETA: I sometimes add a few drops of lavender EO to my vinegar rinse, and it mostly cuts the vinegar smell.

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP, 4/1) since 2003

Mother to:
dd10, 'R', INxJ, 1/4?
dd8, 'A', IxFP, 4/1?
ds5, 'J', Ixxx
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

Last edited by forty-two; 08-12-2018 at 06:46 AM.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (08-12-2018), marigold (08-12-2018), OnAMission (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 05:31 PM   #11
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Thanks! We tried it this morning so I think we'll add this to her routine.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
marigold (08-15-2018)