Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:52 PM   #1
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unexpected Delivery

We received an unexpected Hello Fresh order last week. We did not get a notice it was coming. I had skipped shipments & tried to keep on top of that to get them only occasionally. Obviously, I failed at it this time.

Anyway, it was discovered yesterday. That means it was sitting on our side porch, that we don't use in the winter, since last Thursday. It was only discovered because I was tracking another package that was indicated delivered on side porch. Otherwise it might not have been discovered since spring Hubby indicated it had ice still in it, indicated the temps never rose above 50 degrees, & thinks it is fine. I, on the other hand, am not so confident that it remained well refrigerated this entire time. Just in case it matters, it was salmon & some beef.

What do you guys think? We live in NYC & while I wasn't here, my husband is probably correct about the temperatures. But still, does salmon last 5 days in the fridge? Would you guys use the meat? I'll use whatever I can (veggies, canned goods, etc) but I'm skeptical about the meat. What would you do?

I did contact Hello Fresh & we receive another order tomorrow but I did cancel this time. They gave me a credit on a future order, which I'll use in the future.
gerberadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #2
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unexpected Delivery

If it still had ice and smelled fine I'd probably use it.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
gerberadaisy (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #3
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Refrigerators are set at 40 degrees. If it's been up to 50 degrees then below freezing (indicating that the ice could have reformed after melting), I would pitch it. If you're reasonably sure the original ice never melted and the whole thing is well insulated, then I would probably treat it like food that has been safely stored in a cooler or icebox.

Definitely smell it and cook asap if you decide to keep it. I'd probably make dh try it first since he sounds more likely to protest it being thrown away, and see whether he suffers any ill effects before I'd be willing to eat it myself or waste other ingredients in a recipe.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
gerberadaisy (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #4
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiteria View Post
Refrigerators are set at 40 degrees. If it's been up to 50 degrees then below freezing (indicating that the ice could have reformed after melting), I would pitch it. If you're reasonably sure the original ice never melted and the whole thing is well insulated, then I would probably treat it like food that has been safely stored in a cooler or icebox.

Definitely smell it and cook asap if you decide to keep it. I'd probably make dh try it first since he sounds more likely to protest it being thrown away, and see whether he suffers any ill effects before I'd be willing to eat it myself or waste other ingredients in a recipe.
I actually told him I wouldn't eat it but would gladly cook it for him. He's typically more willing to eat older food
The Following User Says Thank You to gerberadaisy For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (12-09-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 12:55 AM   #5
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I actually got my first and only hello fresh delivery yesterday. Only because I was gifted a free trial and can't afford to continue. Where I live it actually is on a truck for a few days ( I got the notice on sat and received on Tuesday) before arriving and I feel like how the meat and salmon were packed with an extra layer of insulation at the bottom of the insulated box they were thawed but well within the safety zone and could have stayed that way several more days. The meat is at the bottom with extra insulation and the ice packs are large and were still solid. That is with unseasonably warm temps here. Meat usually smells awful if it is bad so I would personally be okay with it. The salmon says to use first due to shelf life but if the beef and chicken don't smell bad, they are vacuum sealed and should be okay. I had the salmon dish tonight and it was

If you decide not to use it, do contact them. They seem like a nice company and would probably credit you for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
gerberadaisy (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 01:27 AM   #6
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy View Post
I actually got my first and only hello fresh delivery yesterday. Only because I was gifted a free trial and can't afford to continue. Where I live it actually is on a truck for a few days ( I got the notice on sat and received on Tuesday) before arriving and I feel like how the meat and salmon were packed with an extra layer of insulation at the bottom of the insulated box they were thawed but well within the safety zone and could have stayed that way several more days. The meat is at the bottom with extra insulation and the ice packs are large and were still solid. That is with unseasonably warm temps here. Meat usually smells awful if it is bad so I would personally be okay with it. The salmon says to use first due to shelf life but if the beef and chicken don't smell bad, they are vacuum sealed and should be okay. I had the salmon dish tonight and it was

If you decide not to use it, do contact them. They seem like a nice company and would probably credit you for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They did give me a credit. Not sure if it's a full credit but still it's something. We can't afford it all the time but as a treat like around Valentines day or to take on vaca (actually cheaper than eating out at restaurants but get rest. quality meals).
Old 12-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

The salmon was bad. The new shipment (also unexpected due to the timing) also included salmon so I had to open both packs to compare. Needless to say we ate the salmon from the 2nd shipment which arrived yesterday. Not a fish person but it was good. I did replace the stock with my own just to be safe. I'm sure it was probably good but it didn't bother me to use my own just to be safe.

Just opened the steak & it smells OK but me & my little guy will not be eating it. I will bake it in the oven for hubs as I don't want the trouble of making two full meals so we're modifying the rest of the ingredients to fit our needs.

I'm pretty sure the chicken will be bad but I have chicken breasts here so that won't be a problem to use. I will replace the sour cream & cheese but veggies & herbs I'll use.