Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #16
Sanveann

Default Re: Criminal complaint released in the Lori/Timothy/Andrea Wick abuse scandal

Oh my goodness -- that is just stomach-turning. My youngest (well, youngest who's not in utero) is 27 months, and I can't even IMAGINE spanking him. I have several friends with babies who are around 9-11 months right now as well, and it's just positively unthinkable to imagine anyone hitting those sweet little ones with a stick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (04-05-2011), Wonder Woman (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #17
DoulaClara
Rose Garden

DoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal complaint released in the Lori/Timothy/Andrea Wick abuse scandal

Did anyone ever have any luck with contacting the publishers?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #18
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

Alexis - Hi! I haven't seen you around for a while

DC - no response to my letter. I'm thinking about calling them...

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

Quote:
But everything I've seen from this case indicates that the people charged have been amazingly open about what they do, with no apparent recognition that anyone would have a problem with it .
Someone I know quite well was very open about the fact that she grabbed a new church member's autistic child and hit him for not following instructions - and was baffled when I expressed anger. When you are enmeshed/brainwashed to that degree, you truly are unable to see how anyone else could have a problem with it
Wonder Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Wonder Woman For This Useful Post:
Cook (04-05-2011), Damselfly (04-05-2011), dulce de leche (04-05-2011), emerald (04-06-2011), gpsings (04-05-2011), Maggirayne (04-05-2011), nadezhda (04-05-2011), rjy9343 (04-05-2011), Vipers_Princess (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #19
Atarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaClara View Post
Did anyone ever have any luck with contacting the publishers?
I was able to send a note on the "contact us" page, but never received a reply.

Thank you for sharing this, Rebecca.

for justice
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Wonder Woman (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #20
nadezhda
Deactivated

God's will cannot lead me where His grace will not keep me.

nadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond repute

they are persecuted to the fullest extent.

And...does anyone else find it painfully ironic that he graduated from Grace Theological Seminary? He has no concept... That poor little girl.
nadezhda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nadezhda For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (04-05-2011), dulce de leche (04-05-2011), gpsings (04-05-2011), Wonder Woman (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #21
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

I find this very disturbing.
Of course, I do not advocate parents hitting babies with wooden dowels. Not at all.
But, what I find disconcerting is different than the disturbing reality that there are parents that use the rod for discipline.
First, it sounds like the daughter of the author Lori Wick is the one charged, not the Author, am I reading that correctly? (I don't really know who Lori Wick is, and I don't care. )

Secondly, it looks like the sherrif's office was trying to build a case against the church for whatever reason. 450 pages of documentation against them? And all the references to the split? It sounds like a witch hunt for the person in charge of that church to me, with the person that was left behind leading it. I dunno. It all sounds "off" and a horrible precedent to set to me.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #22
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

the son and daughter in law are being charged. The connection to Lori? Her money paid for the 'church', and the abuse occurred in her home
I don't care what motive is behind it, frankly - I'm really, really glad that hitting infants is being recognized as abuse

ETA: My husband is a law enforcement officer. I assure you that the level of documentation required for any investigation is staggering - 450 pages isn't nearly 'witch hunt' level
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Wonder Woman For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (04-05-2011), BarefootBetsy (04-05-2011), Cook (04-05-2011), CrunchySeaSalt (04-06-2011), Drew (04-05-2011), dulce de leche (04-05-2011), emerald (04-06-2011), gpsings (04-05-2011), hopeforchange (04-05-2011), nadezhda (04-05-2011), Sparrow (04-05-2011), Vipers_Princess (04-05-2011), Virginia (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #23
nadezhda
Deactivated

God's will cannot lead me where His grace will not keep me.

nadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond reputenadezhda has a reputation beyond repute

From what I gathered, this type of "discipline" is taught & actively promoted by the leader who took over after the split, which is why there is investigation into the church.
nadezhda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nadezhda For This Useful Post:
Damselfly (04-05-2011), dulce de leche (04-05-2011), gpsings (04-05-2011), hopeforchange (04-05-2011), Wonder Woman (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #24
Myrtle
Rose Garden

Myrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Woman View Post

When you are enmeshed/brainwashed to that degree, you truly are unable to see how anyone else could have a problem with it
Or they think others only have a problem with it b/c they don't believe the Bible. That's what I've run into. I grew up in a culture of spanking, but I didn't know anyone who spanked babies in real life until recently. I was appalled. Even coming from a background of being spanked and not having a problem with it, even planning to spank my own children (until I ran into GCM ), I had never run into the teaching of spanking babies. I've only read Tripp's book, but there were things in there that were so twisted (he actually advocates spankings as young as 8 months, not 18 months) that it baffled me that people I considered intelligent, normal people didn't run screamin from his teachings. Instead, they quoted them to me and told me the reason I didn't agree was b/c I didn't take the Bible seriously. Whoa.

And then there are those who believe they're being persecuted for standing up for the Biblical way of parenting, persecuted by a world hostile to the Word. "If spanking is against the law, then I'll go to jail!" Yes, that I've heard. That's a hill they're willing to die on. A hill made up of a precious few poetic verses that they've never even bothered to read in the original language or study the meaning of in context of the original language! Ack!!
ClassicMom (04-05-2011), Damselfly (04-05-2011), dulce de leche (04-05-2011), gpsings (04-05-2011), Jenny (04-05-2011), nadezhda (04-05-2011), NewLeaf (04-06-2011), Virginia (04-05-2011), WildFlower (04-05-2011), Wonder Woman (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #25
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to link to something entirely different today but decided to link to this today. This is so important.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (04-05-2011), dulce de leche (04-05-2011), Wonder Woman (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #26
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

ORANGE you glad I made a new avatar? :D

gpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtle View Post
Or they think others only have a problem with it b/c they don't believe the Bible. That's what I've run into. I grew up in a culture of spanking, but I didn't know anyone who spanked babies in real life until recently. I was appalled. Even coming from a background of being spanked and not having a problem with it, even planning to spank my own children (until I ran into GCM ), I had never run into the teaching of spanking babies. I've only read Tripp's book, but there were things in there that were so twisted (he actually advocates spankings as young as 8 months, not 18 months) that it baffled me that people I considered intelligent, normal people didn't run screamin from his teachings. Instead, they quoted them to me and told me the reason I didn't agree was b/c I didn't take the Bible seriously. Whoa.

And then there are those who believe they're being persecuted for standing up for the Biblical way of parenting, persecuted by a world hostile to the Word. "If spanking is against the law, then I'll go to jail!" Yes, that I've heard. That's a hill they're willing to die on. A hill made up of a precious few poetic verses that they've never even bothered to read in the original language or study the meaning of in context of the original language! Ack!!
Maybe I'm naive, but isn't Following the Law of the Land also in the bible? I mean, how well are you able to spank/ parent from behind bars?
One of the things I hope that will come from spanking being prosecuted, is that christian parents will start following the law of the land in regard to how they choose to discipline.

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin
Blessed AP, Homeschooling mama to:
Aneliese age 13, Breena age 10, and Caden age 7

gpsings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gpsings For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (04-05-2011), nadezhda (04-05-2011), rjy9343 (04-05-2011), Wonder Woman (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #27
Myrtle
Rose Garden

Myrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of lightMyrtle is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsings View Post
Maybe I'm naive, but isn't Following the Law of the Land also in the bible? I mean, how well are you able to spank/ parent from behind bars?
One of the things I hope that will come from spanking being prosecuted, is that christian parents will start following the law of the land in regard to how they choose to discipline.
Not trying to be argumentative at all. Just sharing what I've run into in these discussions with people I know in real life who could have the exact same criminal complaints written up about them...

"Ah, but not if that law contradicts God's Word. Better to obey God than man and all." The only thing with that is, it's kinda' important to actually know God's Word on a matter before they start throwing that about!

The whole teaching on spanking young children and infants is based, not just on a faulty interpretation of the Word (b/c that could be debatable or easily dismissed if one just didn't agree with someone else's interpretation). It's based on plain old misunderstanding of the Word b/c it's taught over and over in the English with no mention of what the actual, literal interpretation of the words even are. Those who insist on taking the Word literally instead of figuratively don't even do it b/c they don't even know what it says literally! *sigh*
nadezhda (04-05-2011), Wonder Woman (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #28
magpiedpiper
Rose Bush

magpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of lightmagpiedpiper is a glorious beacon of light

That just makes my heart so sad. When the father stated that physical punishment can begin as early as 3 months old...ugh. We have a friend whose babies just reached three months of age. I cannot even begin to imagine striking such small, new babies simply for crying.
Annainprogress (04-05-2011), Drew (04-07-2011), nadezhda (04-05-2011), Wonder Woman (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #29
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

their pastor? He said SIX WEEKS
Old 04-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #30
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that gpsings makes a very good point. Even if spanking is not banned out right making it taboo, would cause people to think twice. I grew up in the rural South were it is perfectly acceptable to spank. I even heard spank if you love from the pulpit. I had a real ah ha moment when I realized that the only reason I was going to spank is because I that is what I thought I was commanded to do by God. I did not want to do it and was praying that God would give me the courage to do it. Because it had a Christian wrapper, I was going to do something I found sickening. I really think that is why most Christians spank. They really do not want to do it, but they have heard most if not all of their lives that if you do not, then you do not love your kids and have damned them to death and destruction.
Unfortunately, Myrtle is right. There are always going to be people who think spanking is mandatory and would rather go to prison, then disobey. But if it is not as acceptable, then that number will be far fewer. At least that is my hope. As sad as I am for those babies, if it causes a serious look at what these so called gurus are saying then it was not in vain.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (04-05-2011), Calee (04-05-2011), Cook (04-05-2011), Damselfly (04-05-2011), Drew (04-07-2011), dulce de leche (04-05-2011), Myrtle (04-05-2011), nadezhda (04-05-2011), NewLeaf (04-06-2011), Wonder Woman (04-05-2011)