Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

thankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud of
Default Cattle Dogs

Anyone else have Australian Cattle dogs (blue/red heelers)?

We've had 1 for almost 10 years and got another last fall. We love this breed so much, just wondered if there are other ACD lovers here.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cattle Dogs

My two are mixes, but I specifically looked for an ACD or ACD mix because I loooved my friends ACD. They are scary smart dogs and just so so lovable and cuddly. Friendly, but protective- in perfect measure. Gentle enough that I used to bring them to work with me at a nursing home, feisty enough that they tried to break through a window to attack an intruder when I lived alone. Oh but aren't they so pretty?? Mine are both red and I adore the freckles.

I also dont consider them a high-maintenance breed, despite what the books say. They absolutely need mental and physical exercise but my guys have adapted well to apartment life.

Have you noticed your ACD sheds more than other short coat breeds? Im not sure if my guys have that cus of whatever they are mixed with or cus of the ACD. My guys also have 95,062 allergies it seems, to foods. Your ACD have allergies?
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
thankfulheart (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Peridot
Rose Garden

I stand before you, DeFrocked!!

Peridot has disabled reputation

My Aunt has a blue heeler. He's got some terrier in there too- more of a bull terrier head- and he is the sweetest, most balanced personality dog I have ever met.

He's gorgeous and gentle when my boys are there.

and I'm not a dog person!!

"A normal, imperfect, LUMPEN human being!!"

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. and yet, one day Love himself barged into the Temple with a bullwhip and declared enough was enough. I will testify to Love.

Peridot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peridot For This Useful Post:
thankfulheart (08-18-2013), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

thankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud ofthankfulheart has much to be proud of

I figured there were others on here that love them!

I love just about everything about them. lol Our older guy, is a blue, and is almost 10 we got when he was 4 months old from a pet store. We didn't even know how bad that could be at the time. He was potty trained in like a week and half and went on to learn all kinds of tricks from there. They tend to bond to one family member and he did with my husband. As soon as he hears him coming in from work he is at the door and doesn't leave his side. But when dh isn't here, he is like that with me. He loves all of us and watches over our kids/nieces/nephews. Our girl, a red, is about 3 years old and we got her last fall from a cattle dog rescue in a neighboring state. She has had some issues we've had to work out, but she's on the road to being a great dog! She has bonded to me and is almost never where she can't see me! lol But she's the same way as the other one when it comes to the kids and family. I have no doubt they would defend us if needed!

They are beautiful! And yes, they do shed a lot. I think they blow their coat once a couple times a year but our weather has been so wacky this summer they seem to be blowing it constantly! Our blue dog doesn't have allergies, but I just had our red at the vet last week because I think she may have.

I think the high maintenance thing differs by dog. One of ours needs more exercise than the other. They adapt so well to wherever they are, as long as they are with their people!

What do you feed them?

Last edited by thankfulheart; 08-18-2013 at 04:57 PM.
thankfulheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Our 16.5 y/o dog is a blue heeler mix. When he is shaved he gets mistaken for a blue heeler puppy b/c he has the coloration. (He's mixed with dauschand and cocker, but he is 1/2 blue heeler).

He is seriously the best dog ever. Although now he is so old that isn't quite true anymore, but that isn't his fault.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to klpmommy For This Useful Post:
thankfulheart (08-18-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thankfulheart View Post
What do you feed them?
Because of the allergies I have them on a vegetarian, soy free, corn free, wheat free food. Its called v-dog and we have to order it online.

I also wonder if they say the dogs are high maintenance assuming a person who doesnt have a ton of dog experience adopts them. 'Cus I could see how that could be true. They are pretty stubborn, but if you think about that, it makes sense. They were after all bred to stare down a 1200 lbs steer in the face and tell him to do what they want him to do.

KLPmommy, its nice to hear your dog is so old! That makes me hope my doggies will live a long time. They are 7.5 now.

People have asked if Im worried about having the baby around my dogs and I say "no, I'd be more worried to not have my dogs around the baby." I have no doubt in my mind that once my dogs realize the baby is my pup that they would die to protect it- just like I know they would die to protect me. Of course that said, Ill still practice common sense and not leave the two alone together while the baby is little.
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
thankfulheart (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Trevor is excellent around the kids. Even at his age we've never had to worry about him snapping or even snarling at the kids. He tolerates quite a bit.

He had a vax reaction in 2003 and has only received rabies since then. I think that has helped him to live longer, tbh.

I'll upload a pic of him later, he is cute.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klpmommy For This Useful Post:
thankfulheart (08-19-2013), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

klpmommy~Our dogs/cats have only gotten required rabies vax and only when we've HAD to do it. All of our animals have lived a long life...except our beagle mix who had a heart problem, she was only 10 when she passed. Our husky mix lived a few months shy of 18 and our cat 20 years. We hope that these two will live long, long lives too!

I'm on a cattle dog fan page on FB and have seen several pictures of dogs 16+ and as old as 21!

WaitPatiently~I agree about the stubbornness! Especially my red!! She definitely lives up to her breeding. lol But she loves as hard as she's stubborn!

They are both here beside me and earlier I sat down on the floor for something and they parked themselves one on each side of me...they follow me like two shadows all over the house.

When I get upset and cry, they are really distressed. Especially my older guy. They both seem in tune with my emotions....it's weird.
The Following User Says Thank You to thankfulheart For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

We've had to do more shots than I would prefer. We do the rabies consistently now since we had a scare with them catching and eating a bat. Besides that, we have to sometimes do their shots when we board them somewhere. I dont like it but I deal.

My dad's husky, who we have had since I was a teenager, is 15 and finally slowing down and getting feeble. He acted like a pup still until the last year or so when he's finally showing his age. He's been such a wonderful dog. We rescued him when he was 4 and hes been such a faithful companion. He never really gets his shots. Just the rabies which often end up over-due. My dad feeds him the crappiest types of food but it doesn't seem to matter in long life, I guess- much to my surprise. My friends Sheppard-chow mix passed away last year at about 14/15. He was a little slow, and deaf but still continent and able to go for slow walks. He had a long healthy life--also no vaxes, but premium, organic dog food his whole life. Those are the two longest living dogs I know of and the vax thing is the same for both of them. Wish I could find a way to have my dogs looked after when we travel that didn't require vaxing....Of course, we have not been able to travel in a few years so they are technically over-due on everything but rabies.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

I had one, since passed away.

He was a dork. Sweetest dog you ever did see, but... well, he used to sit down in fire ant hills and scream until I rescued him.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
Lily
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Lily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Jack Russel/blue heeler mix. Buster is crazy smart and absolutely amazing with Chickadee. When we lived on the ranch, he would herd our cows. Now he herds the baby (no nips, just gets between her and the wood pile until she changes direction).
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lily For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns_Gal View Post
He was a dork. Sweetest dog you ever did see, but... well, he used to sit down in fire ant hills and scream until I rescued him.
My girl has tender paws, so when we lived out west, if she got a sticker in her foot she would stand still and cry till I came and "rescued" her. Her brother and the other dozen or so foster dogs that I had at that time never ever made a big deal about stickers. They would either stop and pull it out or keep going like nothing.

Yes, cattle dogs DO expect occasional rescuing.
thankfulheart (08-19-2013)
Old 04-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
thankfulheart
Climbing Rose

They say cattle dogs are like chips...you can't have just one...or two...so we got a third! A friend of ours who loves the breed and has several of her own, gave us one of her girls pups for my dd's birthday a few months ago. She was registered and had her first puppy shots and had a chip...what a gift! She'll be 5 months old later this month...and she is a handful!!! We love her! She's super sweet but I had forgotten just how much work a puppy is!

She's doing okay with being house broken...she has an accident here and there...but mostly when I'm distracted and not paying attention.

The vet says she can be spayed between 4-6 months and that's the best time. It's been so long since we've had to have that done I don't remember. It just seems early...is it?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #14
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE them!! I heard they are the number one, smartest breed. I used to dance with mine. He'd get up on his hind legs and we'd hold "hands".

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #15
LoveIsGentle
Rose Garden

LoveIsGentle has disabled reputation

That sounds like a pretty typical age recommendation for spaying.

I have a blue heeler mix (we *think* mixed with border collie) I got from a rescue organization last summer. She is, hands down, the sweetest, gentlest, most patient dog I have ever met in my entire life. SO good with the kids, I can't even believe it.

Mine thinks she's a cat. She can't handle it if she's not sitting on somebody, typically when it's the most irritating time possible.
LoveIsGentle is offline   Reply With Quote