Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Titus2Momof4
Rose Garden

Titus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to all
Default Vegan on a budget?

If you had about $140 to spend on a week's worth of groceries to feed 6 people (two adults, four school-aged but young kids)...what would you get?

DH and I have talked about doing a vegan diet, for health purposes, but I'm going to tell you upfront that while stir fry and beans and rice IS something we love...it can't be something we eat every week (well, we can do beans and rice every week. :P but not stir fry and I don't want to get in a "rut" where we say "to heck with it- go grab some meat and cheeeeeeeeeeese" LOL)

If you only had $140 to spend, what would this week's grocery menu look like (include only lunches and dinners and snacks and some ideas for desserts a few nights)? (Breakfast is taken care of by an endless supply of granola, granola and yogurt--woops! not vegan! --and pancakes that can be made in a vegan way.)

Also, what do you do about bread??

TIA!

Abby (15) Lexi (15) Loralai (13) Noah (11)

Titus2Momof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vegan on a budget?

We spend a little less than that right now.

Breakfast:
Smoothies
oatmeal
cold cereal
hashbrown patties and baked beans
cold leftovers

Lunch is either sandwiches or something like breakfast or dinner

Our dinners:
Breakfast foods like pancakes
Soups and sandwiches (We like reubens made with tempeh bacon)
Pasta
Burritos or Tacos (We eat these a lot. It's everyone's favorite.)
Stir fry, rice, and spring rolls
Curry and rice
falafel with lots of veggies, flatbread and sometimes rice pilaf
Ramen

At least once a week we do a night of whatever. It's usually leftovers, cold cereal, fruit, crackers....whatever they want to eat. Great way to clean out the fridge, too.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Location: High above a great and beautiful canyon in a Golden State city...
Firebird Rising has disabled reputation

potatoes, rice, beans.

Breakfast would be steel-cut oats with some sort of fruit and a bit of soy milk
Lunch would be sandwiches or burritoes
Dinner would be homemade veggie burgers, beans and rice, taco salad, etc.

Learn to cook all the different types of grains. Learn to cook different beans (garbanzos are different than pinto or red). And learn to make bread. Those three things saved TONS of money for us when we were not on food stamps and very broke.

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Firebird Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:01 AM   #4
HomeyT
Rose Trellis

HomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond repute

I've only gone vegan in the home for the past 2 weeks. Before than we were vegetarians. But I find not buying the casual block of cheese, sour cream, coffee cream, butter, or countless eggs is saving BIG bucks! We're also trying to eat whole foods making everything from scratch. It is making a difference with the bottom line. The first week it was expensive contributing to our pantry. But grains/dry beans are relatively cheap.

I just read 'The Kind Diet' and it had a LOT of ideas! Her principle is 50% grain, 25% veggies, 25% protien.

We like Soba noodles, buckwheat noodles, cheap, healthy, quick cooking! cook them and then fry them up with some veggies and herbs, spices, tofu...mmmm!

Grains such as millet, rice, ....with some sort of veggie concoction on top. I made a thick lentil soup and served it on rice and it was FANTASTIC!

we like spanish rice with faijitas (peppers, tofu?, onion)...add guacemole and cilantro ontop - mmmm!

we make our own bread too. but i think you can buy vegan bread, it's just $$.we also don't eat nearly the amount of bread we used to now that it's homemade because it's work. and health wise that's a good thing.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Titus2Momof4
Rose Garden

Titus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to allTitus2Momof4 is a name known to all

Hmm.. See, I really don't consider $140 to spend each week as "broke"...but it isn't "just throw anything in the cart" either. I don't mind cooking from scratch (we do that now anyway, so... ) but the biggest thing is that I need VARIETY.

Abby (15) Lexi (15) Loralai (13) Noah (11)

Titus2Momof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

subbing

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
KLin
Rose Garden

KLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond reputeKLin has a reputation beyond repute

Mexican
Black bean tostada with lettuce, tomato and avocado, veg fajita mushroom, bell peppers, onion, zucchini and spices, roasted corn and red peppers, spanish rice

Italian
pasta or polenta with roasted red pepper sauce and lots of veggies, green salad, marinated tomato salad,

Indian
Spicy chickpeas with curries and rice, Dal, cauliflower pakoras
Spicy tomato soup with rice

Middle eastern
Dolmas, stuffed grape leafs or vegetables, hummus, lentil soup, falafel, roasted vegetables

American
Grilled vegetables, baked potato, roasted sweet potato with rosemary oil,
Vegetable soup with pasta or dumplings, red beans and rice, steamed veggies and baked squash
nut butter on apples
KLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:51 AM   #8
Cat
Rose Garden

Cat has disabled reputation

subbing

Married to J

Mama to A born January 2010

and a kitty bear Sylvia
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #9
emski4379
Rose Blossom

emski4379 will become famous soon enoughemski4379 will become famous soon enough

Subbing here too.

My Homeschool blog: http://figgyhomeschool.blogspot.com/
emski4379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #10
Liberated4Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2Momof4 View Post
Also, what do you do about bread??

TIA!

I make dehydrated bread. You can also use certain crackers in place of the bread. Gluten free wraps too.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #11
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

we do soy yogurt and I make my own

and I will honestly say that since getting our VitaMix I can totally understand eating even cheaper vegan meals--including juicing, making our own milks (we have a soy milk maker but it's cumbersome and doesn't make milk that we can really get into )

without that, though . . . salad fixings and dressing, apples and/or whatever fruit is in season, I buy things like brown rice in bulk which makes a larger dent when I get it but is much cheaper over the long run Flours also and we bake everything ourselves. There is some initial layout for pantry stuff, but you can also portion it out over a few weeks and then set a certain amount aside each week to buy things. I figure the staples, when bough properly and in bulk, can be kept to about $10 average of your budget, then you end up with replacing everything on different weeks (if you stay on top of it )
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
momyshaver
Rose Trellis

Grace is for mamas too!

momyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud of

When I buy meat I try to buy on sale but I know it is really not healthy (esp. b/c I cant afford the healthier organic, free range, etc. meat ...but if I don't buy it on sale dh will just it up at full price when he wants to grill, etc) I am hoping to get some good vegan recipes to make him not have that urge quite so much
momyshaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
HomeyT
Rose Trellis

HomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2Momof4 View Post
Hmm.. See, I really don't consider $140 to spend each week as "broke"...but it isn't "just throw anything in the cart" either. I don't mind cooking from scratch (we do that now anyway, so... ) but the biggest thing is that I need VARIETY.
if it's variety that you want...get yourself a GREAT vegan cookbook (or use vegan websites)! we are doing that right now, each day we are trying out new stuff, and adding to our stash the recipes we love! we too are using "The Kind Diet" for ideas right now. what i like about The Kind Diet is she gives ideas for a 'super hero' diet, which is all from scratch.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #14
hopeforchange
Deactivated

hopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond repute

i'm here too, but for bread, we buy ezekial bread. i'm pretty sure it's vegan and we really like it.
hopeforchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #15
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

Bread is pretty easy. We buy our bread at Costco or make our own. I do a lot of flour tortillas, too. The kids like them and they are a good price at costco. I wrap up leftovers in them for easy lunches.

Our Fred Meyer has a few cheap loaves of bread labeled vegan now. They are often 3 for $5 and are a pretty good choice.

Our grocery budget got cut in half recently. And, our older two are eating more now

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote