Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
OnAMission
Rose Trellis

Formerly kdhfly

OnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond repute
sensitive I am so sad

This morning we were pulling into the parking lot, and I saw a mom just going at it on a little boy of 6 or 7.

His brother (I assume) was standing nearby looking sad and embarrassed. I was so sad for all of them And I so wished I could help somehow, but I couldn't think of anything I could do besides pray for them. Is there anything I could do if I see it again? I just keep seeing the scene over and over in my head. And I'm in tears just thinking about it.

I feel so helpless. I wish there was a way I could have stepped in to give the mom a chance to calm down and for the little boys to not have to be hurt... to let them all have a do over, even just for this morning.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
LearningMama
Rose Trellis

LearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am so sad

Welcome Baby "YoYo" !! January 2014
Keeper of one grey cat Liz

...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40
LearningMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LearningMama For This Useful Post:
OnAMission (05-05-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

I think in that experience trying to help when a mom is that angry could make it worse later for a child.

Where I live that is reportable. I'd take down the plate and report it TBH. Not to get her into trouble, but maybe she is really struggling and needs help.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (05-06-2014), JoEllen (05-05-2014), kiloyd (06-08-2014), MercyInDisguise (05-06-2014), OnAMission (05-05-2014), Rugayatu (05-05-2014), saturnfire16 (05-05-2014), Snugglebugmom (05-06-2014), Zooey (05-08-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
phathui5
Rose Bouquet

Midwife, Mom of Five

phathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to all

Going up and saying "Do you need help?" (to the mom) could interrupt the beating.
phathui5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phathui5 For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (06-08-2014), MercyInDisguise (05-06-2014), OnAMission (05-06-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sorry. I would also take the license plate number and report. It's so hard to see that type of situation.

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunflowermom For This Useful Post:
MercyInDisguise (05-06-2014), OnAMission (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
OnAMission
Rose Trellis

Formerly kdhfly

OnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Going up and saying "Do you need help?" (to the mom) could interrupt the beating.
I thought about doing that, but I was concerned about what would happen to the child behind closed doors later. plus I had my own four kids with me.

I think getting the license plate and calling would probably be the best bet. I looked up the Texas definition of abuse, and I'm pretty sure this would fall under "beating", though it was with an open hand and very much looked like a (thorough and over-the-top) spanking which probably is legal here, sadly.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
Joyanne
Deactivated

Joyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of light

What if you called the police and told them someone was beating their child in the parking lot??

Record it on your phone and then call the police??

In Christ,
Joy
Joyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joyanne For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (06-08-2014), MercyInDisguise (05-06-2014), OnAMission (05-06-2014), Zooey (05-08-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
beansmama
Rose Blossom

A sinner saved my a merciful Savior - repenting of spanking, yelling and otherwise unloving mothering.

beansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to allbeansmama is a name known to all

I probably would have blown my horn for a while at her to distract and stop her. Not look directly at her though. When I am in public, I ask them "excuse me, do you know what time it is?" at a level they can hear, and that usually stops and distracts them and lets them know they are in public. Some people lose it and forget themselves.
beansmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beansmama For This Useful Post:
deena (06-08-2014), ECingMama (11-19-2014), kiloyd (06-08-2014), OnAMission (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 05:21 AM   #9
RaisingRoyalty
Seedling Rose

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people (1 Peter 2:9)

RaisingRoyalty is on a distinguished road

I really don't think that reporting the mother is going to help in the long term.

She obviously parents this way and believes it is necessary or acceptable and she probably doesn't know any better. That is probably how she was raised herself.

How about interrupting her and pointing out that she should not be behaving that way in public and then secondly, tell her that you know a more effective way to discipline children and would like to tell her more about it?

Then you would have to have a card or tract or something handy to give her to contact you by.

There are a lot of desparate parents out there that don't actually know how to effectively parent their children. We should see them as a mission-field and be prepared and equipped with materials to offer them an alternative.
RaisingRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RaisingRoyalty For This Useful Post:
deena (06-08-2014), kiloyd (06-08-2014), OnAMission (06-08-2014), Rivendell Raven (06-08-2014), Rose5000 (04-20-2015), squiddles (11-19-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #10
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

It's legal in Texas and physically intervening could put you in jail and this is also a person who has shown she's willing to use violence to win her point. There are risks, but that makes intervening that much more heroic.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
OnAMission
Rose Trellis

Formerly kdhfly

I found it really sad because other than prayer, I'm not sure there's a whole lot I can do... I don't have a relationship to model another way (which is what it would take), intervening in the moment might make it stop, but given what she was willing to do in public, I can only imagine what goes on in private. Unlike a government agency, I cannot follow through with checks and more information to help the family. It really is a one-time deal. And, frankly, what she was doing is probably legal in Texas

All that to say, I think of them often, and pray that God would work in all of their hearts. A new peace and gentleness in the mom, forgiveness and strength for the boys, and that God would bring people into their lives that would model and encourage them to have healthier relationships.

ETA: I really like the blow the horn and ask some sort of neutral question idea!
The Following User Says Thank You to OnAMission For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #12
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

That is horrible!

Hitting over and over is beating! Those poor poor children.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #13
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what I would do Maybe offer help?

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #14
JessicaGhig
Seedling Rose

JessicaGhig is a jewel in the roughJessicaGhig is a jewel in the roughJessicaGhig is a jewel in the roughJessicaGhig is a jewel in the rough

As a child who grew up in this sort of family, I can say that causing embarrassment to the mom by saying anything would have likely resulted in much, much worse for the poor child once they got home. If she is willing to do that in public then it's likely 10x worse in private.
JessicaGhig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JessicaGhig For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (11-19-2014), squiddles (11-19-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #15
Elyse221
Rose Bush

Elyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaGhig View Post
As a child who grew up in this sort of family, I can say that causing embarrassment to the mom by saying anything would have likely resulted in much, much worse for the poor child once they got home. If she is willing to do that in public then it's likely 10x worse in private.
I think this is a good point. The child may be blamed for "making" the parent hit them and making them look bad, causing more abuse. It's so hard to know what to do. I nearly have panic attacks when I witness these things.
Elyse221 is offline   Reply With Quote