Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #106
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home-keeping Schedules

My home is better organized than it's been probably since we moved in, and I'd like to get on a housekeeping schedule. Honestly, though, most of your schedules completely overwhelm me. I wonder if I should start a thread for housekeeping for minimalists - anyone interested?

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #107
fireweedmama
Rose Trellis

Micah 6:8

fireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond reputefireweedmama has a reputation beyond repute

This thread made me feel so much better! I am not the only one who doesn't have or can't stick to a schedule! Now if I can figure out how to not be so hard on myself when I fall behind....
Old 11-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #108
mezzogirl
Rose Blossom

mezzogirl is a jewel in the roughmezzogirl is a jewel in the roughmezzogirl is a jewel in the roughmezzogirl is a jewel in the rough

For a few years now, I have used the "Motivated Moms" homekeeping routine. It has really helped me in so many ways. Each day you have around 5 things to do, as well as daily tasks that are routine. With everything broken down, I am able to see the week at a glance and if I know I am going to have a crazy week, I try to work ahead, or work after the craziness is over. As well, it helps b/c the kids ask what the get to do (hope this lasts) and I just cross that off the list.
mezzogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #109
Starfish
Rose Bouquet

Starfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant future

I can't stick to a set schedule either. What I've been trying is to set up a 'cleaning time' (same time each day). Then I wrote all my weekly chores on slips of paper and put them in a jar. At cleaning time, I pick one out and do that chore. Once all the papers are out of the jar, I toss them back in and start again. I think its more fun, and usually I pick a chore and think "that's not too bad, I can get that chore done".

This doesn't include laundry or grocery shopping, I just do those when I run out of food or clean clothes. Before, I tried to have one day as "cleaning day" but that got overwhelming very fast.
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #110
LisaMarie
Climbing Rose

LisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Home-keeping Schedules

I'm a total housekeeping failure. I've never been successful at keeping my house organized and clean. The best I got was just after I got married and DH & I would spend our Saturdays doing crazy cleaning and then wait til the next week.

A month or 2 ago I found www.justmommies.com 's housekeeping plan and omgosh - my house looks so much more amazing! I am feeling more successful and have seen such an improvement. I'm not embarrassed if people come by, etc.

I'm not where near perfect, but the changes it's motivated in me have been tremendous.

Basically, there's every day routine tasks - morning, afternoon and evening. Then there's daily tasks - like Monday is changing the bathroom towels and bed sheets. and washing the laundry. Tuesday is vacuuming and dusting. Wednesday is washing the bathroom and wiping lightswitches/doorknobs. etc. etc.

Then there's a calendar for the month. Each day has something to do. Like today is sweep the front and rear entrances.

For people who want/need more, there's monthly goals too - like to go through your drawers and get rid of clothes you don't need, etc.

... maybe it sounds more complicated than it really is!

I just printed out what I have to do every day. Printed out a blank meal plan for the week. Printed out the calendar. Then taped them all on my pantry door in sheet protector.

I've also finished reading Steve & Teri Maxwell's book "Managers of their Chores" and have been inspired to include my boys in the housekeeping. I made their little chorepacks and added them to the pantry collection of paperwork. Day 2 of adding them into the plan and they love it! (Hoping that continues). I'm finding getting them involved gets me involved.

My husband has actually mentioned that he can see the difference - and THAT, for me, is success.
| Learning Titus 2 - my family & review blog |
LisaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LisaMarie For This Useful Post:
bobbledolly (03-08-2010)
Old 03-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #111
arctic oak
Rose Blossom

"...like trees planted by streams of water" Psalm 1

arctic oak is a glorious beacon of lightarctic oak is a glorious beacon of lightarctic oak is a glorious beacon of lightarctic oak is a glorious beacon of lightarctic oak is a glorious beacon of lightarctic oak is a glorious beacon of light

I've just realised in reading all these posts from you lovely ladies that I am more into doing, thinking about, and talking about household chores than I ever thought possible! It seems to consume me these days, but I am trying not to be a perfectionist so that I can also have a balanced life with the kids! Now that #3 is about to be born I maybe need to tone down my expectations in order to stay sane!

My 4 year old told me the other day that I need to learn to live with chaos! I think he's right, but in the meantime my home-keeping schedule is pretty non-stop! So rather than have a weekly schedule like lots of moms out there, I just do things a bit at a time all day, every day- with bigger chores whenever they seem to really need done.

In the morning I make breakfast first (between pregnancy and 2 hungry tummies to feed that is my priority!)- when the kids have mostly finished eating but are still busy with food, I run around making beds, throwing laundry in, doing breakfast dishes, getting snack ready for later, folding diapers, etc. So I do laundry (clothes and/or diapers) every day.

I try to incorporate the boys in the bigger cleaning things- I have dish mops that look like mini floor mops, so they can "help" me wash the floor, they play with the vacuum when I have it out, and I wash the bathroom while they are in the tub. All this is easier now that my youngest is walking and stable in the bath- having another is sure to slow me down for the first while. But even when my youngest was a year old, I'd put him in the sling facing out while I washed the floor (he was at least 25 pounds then, so it was a bit of a workout!).

If I have a chore to do that I need to keep the boys away from (like washing the fridge- they helped at first last time and then I got scared for the eggs!) then I set them up with a craft and confine my 21 month old to his high chair while he colours (usually his tummy rather than the paper).

For me, it's all about being organised in the first place (knowing where things go) and making the most of the minutes when the boys are happy playing. And they love to help so I've had to learn that it might take longer to do something, but they'll be happier if I involve them.

Oh yeah, I also go out as much as possible so the boys let out their energy on something other than the house! They can make as much mess with stones, sand and snow as they like!- or run off steam at community activities. I'm really fortunate to live in a place where there's lots going on for kids.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:29 PM   #112
MarineWifeRet

Quote:
Originally Posted by righteous mama View Post
I'm pretty much hiding with Crystal, but I do have a schedule...it's just that it isn't being used.

So I'll tell you what I'm supposed to do...

Monday: Bathroom & Master Bedroom (that's clean them, not hang out in them)
Tuesday: Laundry Day, Kids Bedroom, Clean Off Desk
Wednesday: Living Room/Dining Room
Thursday: Errand Day
Friday: Laundry Day, Kitchen, Clean Up Outside

As you can see, it is an easy schedule. There is absolutely no reason I can't stick to that. Oh, and on Monday's I strip the beds and wash sheets. My goal is to bleach them once a month (they are just white sheets) so that they stay pretty.
I really like that schedule! I just happen to like playing on the computer more.

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

I just need to throw this out in the air:

I am really enjoying finding other Mamas to talk about cleaning with and share experiences and humor. I thought growing up that I'd never amount to a good wife because I didn't learn a lot of this stuff. It's so comforting to me to be able to learn without judgment and pressure. Because of the kindness of everyone, I'm able to do far more than I thought I could. It's like I get on GCM to the happy homekeeping stuff, and instant hope arises from within me. I thank God for this forum.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:57 AM   #113
mamaroland
Rosebud

Our new little girl!

mamaroland has a spectacular aura aboutmamaroland has a spectacular aura about

These posts are all so encouraging. Thank you mamas! I don't have time to read them all so I'm bumping for my reading enjoyment later

Learning to let go and putting my entire being and trust into His hands.
Wife to my Wolvernine . God bless the broken road that led me straight to him.
Mama to 2 precious girls ages 12 & our newest addition born to us on 01/23/2010.
mamaroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #114
FarmMama
Rose Bouquet

FarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant future

So many great ideas! I am currently trying to get on paper what it is I WANT done every day and to be more organized. I find that the basics that make the house seem clean (and this is daily) would be two loads of clothes washed and put away (that part is often the hardest for me), two loads in the dishwasher, make beds, wipe down bathroom, and pick up floors. Then maybe atack a hot spot a day? I don't know, just pinging ideas out there. But I love all the ideas that you all have mentioned!
DD1 3.24.09
DD2 10.20.12
DS2 7.25.15
FarmMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #115
Grace78

Looking fwd to catching up on this thread!
Old 10-16-2011, 12:47 AM   #116
Guardandolaluna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghomeschooler View Post

okay, here goes:

when there are piles of laundry in the bedroom AND laundry room, it's time for a laundry marathon
when I'm tired of having to wash dishes before I can cook, it's time to tame the dish monster (I've been MUCH better about this lately, we do 3 loads of dishes a day in the dishwasher!!!!!!!)
when I am tired of stepping on crumbs in the kitchen, it's time to vacuum
when I can see the floors again in the laundry/bedrooms, it's time to vacuum
when we want to eat at the table, it's time to put all the books away on the shelves where they belong
when we can't find books on the shelves, it's time to straighten them all out and dust the shelves too
when I think someone is coming over, or might step in the door, it's time to put ALL of the toys (downstairs) in a box in the closet, and vacuum the downstairs, wipe down the bathrooms and scrub the toilets.
how's that for a "schedule"?
Jenn
That's my schedule, too!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #117
orthodoxmama

I don't really have a set schedule right now but I would like to bc I think it would make things easier! Basically I make sure and wipe down the kitchen and run the dishwasher every day. I try to do 1-2 loads of laundry every other day (for example, mon. and wed.) and then tues and thurs would be my days to fold and put away the laundry that i washed the day before. one day a week is devoted to errands and paying bills, though the day that i do this changes each week. i also try to wash sheets and towels once a week, but again, i don't usually do this on the same day every week. i do love the idea of setting aside a day for baking! that is something i love to do but i feel like i never have time for it anymore so maybe that would help! right now all of my other household chores are done on an 'as needed' basis.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #118
JenniferJuniper
Rose Bouquet

With Lilacs In Her Hair

JenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond repute

Old 11-02-2012, 03:19 AM   #119
OkiMom

So I recently redid my housekeeping schedule when we started homeschooling in August then twicked it a few weeks ago when my 4th little one was born.. Heres what is "suppose" to be done:
Laundry Schedule:
Monday:children clothing, diapers
Tuesday: my DH/my clothing
Wednesday: towels, diapers
Thursday: linens
Friday: Anything extra that needs to get done, diapers
Saturday: Dh's uniforms, diapers (I don't do housework past upkeep on Sunday so I do everything possible on Saturday so I don't have to do anything on Sunday)

Housework:
Monday: baking/food prep for the week, meal plan if needed
Tuesday: Kitchen and living room
Wednesday: both bathrooms
Thursday: playroom and both bedrooms
Friday: sweep the patio, clean up the yard, sweep the driveway, prep school for next week, prep church clothing
2 Saturdays a month: yard work and other large household projects (Aka: anything I need an extra set of hands to help with )

Daily tasks:
meal clean up
morning/night clean up
vacuum at night
sweep kitchen
wipe down bathroom sinks each night

Seems like a lot but I only average about 2 hours cleaning per day, that includes laundry and meal clean up. I have a rather small house so it makes clean up quick This will change again when DH leaves for training/deployment.

Last edited by OkiMom; 11-02-2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #120
VeganIma
Rose Blossom

VeganIma is on a distinguished road

My homekeeping schedule revolves around the Sabbath.

Sunday: Prepare big batches of food for the week
M-W: Tidy up house
Thursday: Vaccuum everywhere, laundry
Friday: Clean bathroom and kitchen; prepare food for the Sabbath

I only have a son and a husband to care for, so my chores aren't too bad!

Single Mama to Little Bear ~ 7/18/12 and Baby Bean 7/22/15
ISFJ
VeganIma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VeganIma For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (06-06-2014)