Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:15 AM   #16
aussiemum79

Default Re: Has Anyone Read this Blog? Razing Ruth...

Wow - what an insight. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:02 AM   #17
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

I read the whole thing. So eye opening! And it answers so many things about the Duggars I have wondered about from watching their show as well.

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #18
Leen
Deactivated

Leen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I just read the whole thing. What a crazy story...Gothardism just boggles my mind. I mean, I grew up with some very conservative, fundamentalist people, but Gothardism takes it to a whole new level.

Thanks for posting!
Leen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #19
SortaCrunchy
Climbing Rose

SortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Incredible stuff. I have tons of work to do this afternoon, but all I want to do is read this from the beginning.

Thank you so much for sharing this link!

Homemaking freelance writer & author passionate about gentle mothering, natural living, social justice and great coffee. Married to my college sweetheart and the SortaCrunchy mama to my big girls (8 and 5) and brand new (2/7/13) twin boys.

Co-author of Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year

SortaCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #20
WildOlive

Can someone explain what ATI is?
Old 03-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #21
SortaCrunchy
Climbing Rose

SortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiasmomma View Post
Can someone explain what ATI is?
Google Bill Gothard and ATI (Advanced Training Institute Internationa)

I really don't much about it except that it's connected to Quiverfull. ???

I was just reading her very first post and how the idea of JOY (Jesus first Others second You third) is so tainted for her that she hates the word joy now. This is so, so, so sad.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

what is TWOP that she refers to?

Homemaking freelance writer & author passionate about gentle mothering, natural living, social justice and great coffee. Married to my college sweetheart and the SortaCrunchy mama to my big girls (8 and 5) and brand new (2/7/13) twin boys.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SortaCrunchy For This Useful Post:
Maggie (03-08-2010), relizabeth (03-08-2010)
Old 03-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #22
euromom
Rose Garden

euromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant future

So Gothard is the one where the whole idea of "covering" comes from right? I've heard this term tossed around a lot since being a Christian but wonder where it comes from Bibically. Do people who throw that terminology around ultimatly get it from Gothard?

For example, the person speaking at our church yesterday said something like "Your pastors and your small group leaders are your covering. If you step away from that, you put yourself in a place where Satan can attack you. Your leaders, however take the brunt of the attack for you if you are under their covering." This is a teaching I honestly feel I have never quite "gotten" and it seems to be something so many just accept without questioning...but where does this idea come from Biblically??? Are there others outside of Gothard that teach this as well?

Read some of the blog backwards, interested to start from the beginning too.
mommy to my HBAC blessing dd- 01/10!

euromom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #23
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaCrunchy View Post
what is TWOP that she refers to?
"Television Without Pity" - it's a message board for TV shows. They have a long thread about the Duggars that I'm guessing she participates in. (I've lurked there before on the Top Chef and Bachelor boards).

ETA: Link - http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/

Last edited by Katigre; 03-08-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
momyshaver (03-08-2010), SortaCrunchy (03-08-2010)
Old 03-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #24
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromom View Post
For example, the person speaking at our church yesterday said something like "Your pastors and your small group leaders are your covering. If you step away from that, you put yourself in a place where Satan can attack you. Your leaders, however take the brunt of the attack for you if you are under their covering."

Not Biblical - scare tactic to encourage submission to their ideas and not read your Bible and pray for yourself.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
SortaCrunchy (03-08-2010), Zooey (03-09-2010)
Old 03-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #25
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

IIRC, an elaboration of a single verse, Paul telling women to cover their heads in church (that is, to adhere to the dress code of the day--women covered their hair in public).
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #26
shaslove
Rose Garden

shaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Thanks for the link.

I read the whole thing. It is sad.
Mom by adoption to Lina, my 11-yr-old w/sensory issues
and, after 4 years, 2 months, and 20 days of infertility,
birth mom to 2-yr-old Baby Bird
We are a DF, GF, dye-free Jesus loving family!
PM me for help or encouragement with infertility issues.

shaslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #27
euromom
Rose Garden

euromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaVA View Post
Not Biblical - scare tactic to encourage submission to their ideas and not read your Bible and pray for yourself.
what i think i mean is where do *they* think they are getting it from Biblically? What scriptures do they use to back up this argument?

And although many that use this lingo are in controlling like environments, it seems to be something so tossed around at the same time (a sort of common christianese) that not everyone who talks like that is trying to be controlling...not sure if that makes sense or not, but, for example, I don't think the intent of the person who said that in our church the other day was trying to be controlling when he said that, yet at the same time it comes from a theology that is... maybe I should think about this more and do a spinoff because this is UPP and I need to get my thoughts together better too.
mommy to my HBAC blessing dd- 01/10!

euromom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #28
NewLeaf
Deactivated
I support GCM!

NewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond repute

I opened the blog and wanted to ask if anyone knows if there is a way to reverse the posts so they start with the oldest first? It's so hard for me to scroll up and down to try to read them in order. Anyone know?
NewLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #29
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromom View Post
what i think i mean is where do *they* think they are getting it from Biblically? What scriptures do they use to back up this argument?

And although many that use this lingo are in controlling like environments, it seems to be something so tossed around at the same time (a sort of common christianese) that not everyone who talks like that is trying to be controlling...not sure if that makes sense or not, but, for example, I don't think the intent of the person who said that in our church the other day was trying to be controlling when he said that, yet at the same time it comes from a theology that is... maybe I should think about this more and do a spinoff because this is UPP and I need to get my thoughts together better too.
Oh yeah, I see what you are saying...

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
euromom (03-08-2010)
Old 03-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #30
SortaCrunchy
Climbing Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
I opened the blog and wanted to ask if anyone knows if there is a way to reverse the posts so they start with the oldest first? It's so hard for me to scroll up and down to try to read them in order. Anyone know?
I don't think so. if there is a way to do so, I've never discovered it.

What you can do is go to the archives in the right hand column, click on 2009 and then it's less to scroll through to get to the very beginning. After that, you can click on Jan 2010 and then by each month. It's a lot more manageable for me to read old archives that way.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SortaCrunchy For This Useful Post:
euromom (03-08-2010), NewLeaf (03-08-2010)