Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Hobbies and Crafts *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Hobbies and Crafts *Public* The place to talk about crafts, sewing, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.
A public forum.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:40 AM   #1
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fabric for clothing

I want to make myself a summer skirt and top. I get really discouraged with sewing clothing though - the fabric I buy doesn't hold up at all. Last year I made us all flannel pajama pants, by the second wash the flannel was faded and pilled terribly. I don't want to spend hours making something that can only be worn twice. How to I find fabric that holds up ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:18 AM   #2
BestLaidPlans
Rose Trellis

What was I… eh, scrap it. I'm taking a nap.

BestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fabric for clothing

The best fabric I've ever gotten for clothing was at a quilting shop. It was thicker and higher quality than what I can find at even at places like JoAnn's. Of course, it was more expensive, too, but it has lasted through more than one kid.

5 girls 2 boys
4 of my 7 are teens - now 5 are teens!
5 of my 7 have special needs

“Motherhood is heaven and hell, hard and holy.”
-quote from Rachel Nielson
BestLaidPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BestLaidPlans For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #3
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

A quilt shop will have higher quality quilting cottons which might be appropriate for some types of garments (ad so many beautiful prints!!). Pajama pants definitely, a skirt in the right style. I've moved on to tops and the drape and feel of quilting cottons just wasn't cutting it, so I look for things like voile, lawn, lighter weight material that hangs well. Or knits but that's a whole different ballgame. I have to order everything online but some cities have nicer fabric stores (probably quilt shops) that carry apparel options.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

In general, the calico fabrics at Jo-Ann's are only moderate quality. The better choices there are the more expensive designer fabrics. Most of the batiks hold up well to washing. I use the better quality (more expensive or designer) flannels to back quilts. That said, I only buy things at Jo-Ann's with coupons or during big sales.

If you have a local quilt shop, they generally carry the better quality designer fabrics that hold up to many washings. I've got quilts that are 15 years old that are just beginning to show wear around the bindings. I wash them a lot because the kids use them on the ground. But like someone already said, quilting cottons don't drape. They usually have a crisp hand, which is great for camp shirts (I make Hawaiian shirts for dh every summer from batiks) but not so great for a lot of women's styles.

Online stores generally have better prices than the local shops. I order form Fabric.com, hancock of paducah, and a couple of other places that escape me right now. Oh - fabrics-store.com, wazoodle, and fashion fabrics club. I bought some performance fabrics a few years ago (fleece, microfiber wicking fabrics) but I can't remember exactly where. I'll come back if I remember.

I've never used craftsy, so I can't say but I would think it's fine.

The other thing I've done is used the thrift store or my closet. Sheets and men's dress shirts make cute dresses and tops with some reworking. (You can get a better feel for durability with something that's been washed and worn several times.) I wanted to improve my sewing skills without spending a lot of money, so last year I bought a bunch of things from the local thrift store to refashion. I got to focus on fine tuning the fit that way. (My girls also got some cute sundresses out of daddy's old shirts. )
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (05-15-2017), ECingMama (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

Hawthorne Threads is my favorite online fabric store. I don't remember how I found it but I've spent entirely too much money there I also do Fabric.com sometimes.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (05-16-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 11:39 AM   #6
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I have yet to take the plunge yet but every one I know who really sees clothing orders fabric online.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

The other picibility is that there might be an independent fabric shop near you that would have good stuff. Unfortunately the only two I have to recommend are in Houston and Atlanta.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #7
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Is Craftsy a good place to order fabric from? I like their yarn. Or other ideas for online shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote