Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute
Default How safe is Miralax for a toddler?

How safe is Miralax for a toddler? My daughter (will be 3 in August) got dairy-ed 3x in the past two weeks (I was nannying seven kids- one who kept sharing her snacks, I swear this isn't the norm!) Anyways, she's been constipated every since. We've been pushing fluid, giving prunes, breastfeeding, giving juice, giving a few teaspoons of coconut oil, she eats veggies and whole grains, getting plenty of exercise, basically everything crunchy one could think of. She's passed a few stools but they are hard and extremely painful to pass, so now sometimes she avoids going when she clearly has to. Took her to the pediatrician today and she rx'ed Miralax. I'm inclined to try it, the kid is suffering so bad. (also we cannot try Epson salt baths, she's terrified of bathing.)
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #2
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe is Miralax for a toddler?

Please just do it for two weeks to two months.

We used magnesium with dance effect though for daily use.

Google bowl clean out and orange county children's hospital.

BBL
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I say get that bowel to move and then switch to natural calm a few times a day and lots of prunes to keep it moving. I would do miralax for a week to be sure it's all out and then switch to natural calm (keeps things soft for my kids). With the triggering foods out it should be fine.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
Katigre (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

I would far rather give miralax for as long as needed than to deal with a bad constipation issue.

We tried the natural remedies first because I heard so many horror stories about the miralax. But then it took four to five months for the Miralax to work properly and our child was able to retrain to poop when their body needed to poop.

Had I just done the miralax when the doctor sggested it (child had impacted bowels) for a month, I could have avoided the 5-6 months that we spend on that poop aid from first dose to not needing it at all.

She is completely weaned off of it now and has not needed it since.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
FlyingBlueKiwi (06-21-2016), tempus vernum (06-21-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #5
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

I don't believe we know how safe it is for kids at this point. I would consider a warm water enema if she will agree to it. You should get fast results that way without having to wait for a medication to work, and you'll be able to avoid the side effects I've known some kids get from miralax.

Something like natural calm or another form of magnesium (there are even oils and lotions for skin application) would be great but start with a small amount and work up to a full dose. Does she take probiotics? Also you can have her put her feet on the toilet seat while you hold her for balance, that should help her evacuate completely (google squatty potty unicorn for a visual on why this helps).
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:01 PM   #6
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a fan of Miralax, but do believe it's safer than doing nothing or not doing enough which can lead to a vicious cycle of bowel incontinence or holding it because it hurts to go. That can take a very long time months to years to fully get under control once it's bad.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (06-21-2016), ECingMama (06-20-2016), Katigre (06-21-2016), tempus vernum (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 05:42 AM   #7
Allison
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Allison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond repute

We used it for a while (several months) when my middle son was a toddler. He had encopresis and it was the only way he'd go for a time. I did stop when I found more natural solutions (like some of the ones already mentioned in this thread.)

I wouldn't hesitate to use it short term at all, though.

Allison
Blessed mother of my three sons:
22, 20, 18

Grateful for GCM since 2004
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #8
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

I I've been doing the Miramax the past two days.I'm super uncomfortable with the dosing cup! That thing is so unclear! Not even sure if I'm giving her a full dose or a half dose each day, it's one or the other. Anyways, it seems to be working. She had two bms today. One was soft. But now she isn't asking to sit on the potty at all, just going in her training undies. for a little over two weeks she's been wanting to go on the potty.

Anyways, I got some natural calm today and plan to switch over to that in a couple days. She hasn't complained of a tummy ache today.
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 07:59 PM   #9
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord View Post
I I've been doing the Miramax the past two days.I'm super uncomfortable with the dosing cup! That thing is so unclear! Not even sure if I'm giving her a full dose or a half dose each day, it's one or the other. Anyways, it seems to be working. She had two bms today. One was soft. But now she isn't asking to sit on the potty at all, just going in her training undies. for a little over two weeks she's been wanting to go on the potty.

Anyways, I got some natural calm today and plan to switch over to that in a couple days. She hasn't complained of a tummy ache today.
I always did a half dose. Found it was enough. I used a food scale to weight out 9 grams
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-22-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 07:39 AM   #10
Trixie
Rose Blossom

Trixie has a spectacular aura aboutTrixie has a spectacular aura aboutTrixie has a spectacular aura about

a half dose is roughly two rounded teaspoons. I've had toddlers and babies on miralax long term when I did private duty nursing. It makes loose sticky poops but they wouldn't have any bowel movement without it. My daughter, now 8, gets really constipated sometimes and it takes something heavy duty to get her moving again.

Mother to
David 2006
Sunshine 2007
Dragon 2008
Mario 2009
Happy 2014
Josiah 2015
Sirena 2016
Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trixie For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-23-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 03:39 PM   #11
Reva
Rose Trellis

Reva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond repute

We had to use it on E after R died. She was 3 and her ped said constipation is pretty common at that age anyway, and then the grief just made it worse.

It worked!
Forever missing my sweet R (HLHS) and the baby we never got to meet.
Reva is offline   Reply With Quote