Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Soups *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #211
WingsOfTheMorning
Deactivated

WingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bone Broth 101

I used broth this morning to make a smoothie for DD2 and she loved it! I blended up frozen bananas and chicken broth. This is so awesome because she can't have most substitute milks. (Did you know rice milk has sunflower seed oil? /rant) The bone broth will be better for her anyway!
WingsOfTheMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WingsOfTheMorning For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (10-09-2012), lalaithnil (10-08-2012), NeshamaMama (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #212
treehugginmama
Rose Trellis

treehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond repute

I read through this but I didn't find the answer to my question.

I just did beef bone broth but I only simmered it for 24 hours because my house STINKS and it's giving me a headache.

I used knuckle and marrow bones from grass fed cows. I added carrots, shallot and green onion along with ACV. The broth is VERY yellow. I'm guessing it's because it's grass fed but is it normal? Should it be darker?

I'm doing the bones again for a second batch and it smells much better in here. That batch I'm going to use for when I make potatoes or quinoa or stir fry.
Completing our family June 2014
www.placentaencapsulationservices.com
treehugginmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #213
Glitterfish
Rose Garden

That's not grey in my hair, it's glitter growing from my head. Duh. (formerly of the sstarcake variety)

Glitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugginmama View Post
I read through this but I didn't find the answer to my question.

I just did beef bone broth but I only simmered it for 24 hours because my house STINKS and it's giving me a headache.

I used knuckle and marrow bones from grass fed cows. I added carrots, shallot and green onion along with ACV. The broth is VERY yellow. I'm guessing it's because it's grass fed but is it normal? Should it be darker?

I'm doing the bones again for a second batch and it smells much better in here. That batch I'm going to use for when I make potatoes or quinoa or stir fry.
Interesting. I wonder if the yellow is from the carrots/onions but then you would still think it would be darker brown because of the beef.....

I would always go w/ simmering it longer and see.

Punky
Peanut
Stinker
two we never got to hold
and one due in May 2015

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!". ~Mythbusters
Glitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glitterfish For This Useful Post:
treehugginmama (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #214
lalaithnil
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

lalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond repute

I'd simmer it longer too. Can you put it in the garage or porch or something? Is it in a crock pot? That way you wouldn't have to smell it. I used onions and carrots in my beef broth and it was VERRRRRY dark brown after 3 days.

lalaithnil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lalaithnil For This Useful Post:
Glitterfish (10-09-2012), treehugginmama (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #215
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I made my first bone broth last week (beef). Simmered for 3 days. Took about half of it out and made a beef veggie soup. SO SO SO good!

I put the other half of the broth in the fridge and am going to make round 2 tomorrow with it.

My question is this. There is obviously a layer of fat along the top. Should I remove it? I mean, I know that traditionally it's good to remove fat, but isn't animal fat good for you? So wouldn't it stand to reason that it's better to leave it in???
Old 10-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #216
treehugginmama
Rose Trellis

treehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I can put it in my craft room. Yes its in the crock pot. My crock pot has low high and warm. Is warm good enough for simmering?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #217
3boysforme
Deactivated

It's the Peanut!

3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe I can put it in my craft room. Yes its in the crock pot. My crock pot has low high and warm. Is warm good enough for simmering?
My crockpot has to be on high to simmer.
3boysforme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3boysforme For This Useful Post:
treehugginmama (10-10-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #218
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

Quote:
I put mine on low. I think that warm would be too low... You want to keep the temperature high enough so that it doesn't start growing bacteria, right? Mine simmered on low. It's probably a crockpot to crockpot thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
treehugginmama (10-10-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #219
treehugginmama
Rose Trellis

It was more of a boil on low however on warm it doesn't really simmer either. Maybe that was my problem. I had it on warm a lot of the time because low seemed to high.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #220
melliethepooh
Rose Garden

Dinosaurs are people too

melliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond repute

Skimming the fat is a matter of preference. On GAPS you keep all the fat in, but for storing it the broth will keep longer without fat.
melliethepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to melliethepooh For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #221
raining_kisses
Deactivated

..a little child, born yesterday, A thing on mother's milk and kisses fed... ~"Hymn to Mercury"

raining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond repute

I leave the fat...I don't worry about storing cause it doesn't last very long around here.

My crock pot simmers on Low.
raining_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raining_kisses For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (10-10-2012), lalaithnil (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #222
Glitterfish
Rose Garden

That's not grey in my hair, it's glitter growing from my head. Duh. (formerly of the sstarcake variety)

Glitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely simmer on low (it is more of a low boil, but warm is not enough to simmer).

Punky
Peanut
Stinker
two we never got to hold
and one due in May 2015

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!". ~Mythbusters
Glitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #223
2sunshines

Well, I'm using the 2nd half of the bone broth I made for another pot of soup today. It was such a hit with the whole family (and bil) last week. And it's very satisfying to know that I made the whole thing from scratch.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (10-13-2012), lalaithnil (10-10-2012), raining_kisses (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #224
treehugginmama
Rose Trellis

I think with my next batch I will use my older crock pot that just has low and high. Maybe that one will work out better. Now I'm wondering if I should throw what I made out.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #225
NeshamaMama
Rose Garden

Formerly emilik :)

NeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond repute

I always freeze my remaining broth a day or two after it's done, but I find it annoying to have to thaw when I want to use it (or remember to put it in the fridge a day or two before, which never happens ) so how long does broth realistically last in the fridge? I want to have easier access to it so that we drink/use it more often, but I don't want to waste any of it!

Christopher
(INTP)

Mama to
Mayah Evangeline (01/10
)
and
Miriam Anneliese (05/12)
Living simply and loving my God!

NeshamaMama is offline   Reply With Quote